When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rainstorm Hanna

fakemaster

I sort of feel the same way. Except I was bothered by the fact that I was on "deathwatch" for New Orleans. I was saying "No devastation...No devastation" but some morbid part of me was disappointed when it went from CAT 4 to 2 to gone.

There is no explanation for my morbid dilemma. I don't want people to die.

I have successfully tracked the course of every hurricane from about 1999 on. They have never been right and they have never admitted it. I posted on a thread on RWI about Gustav. I said this....

Just like Fay they've misprojected the path and landing time. By tomorrow they'll probably put up one of those 7 path line grids. But as of right now they have everyone thinking they're going to die and causing mass hysteria.

if you are to the North or West of NO you need to do one of two things. Stay put and stock up. Especially on gas because there wom't be anything availiable until Thursday. You will be fine. Or leave but go east young man. If you go west you are asking for trouble. No matter what they are telling you it is going to track to Texas. And it will not ba anywhere close to a CAT 5.

NO was never in any danger. And everyone went west because the media told them to. Well that's where the storm WAS going and where all the flooding happened.

Now they're doing the same thing with this one. They are getting everyone in Florida and Georgia in a tizzy when A the storm isn't going to go anywhere near them and B when it does skim past SC/NC it will not be significant.

ok - well - i hate to be critical - but, don't be so critical -

i went through the 2004-5 storms here - and you have to go through the motions, when it doesn't happen - because its a real shitstorm that one time it does.

my wife went through Andrew - I went through wilma - it was a cat 1 when it got to my house, and we didn't have electricity for 2 weeks - the lights didn't work in half the county for more time - there was no gas to be gotten for 2 weeks for cars or generators because N S E and W of here all had power outages - i had to drive 150 miles to find a gas state with less than a 1.5 hr wait for gas.

my fences got torn down - had 2 ft concrete tiles flying near my windows tore up all the screened enclosures - had to replace my roof, fence and screen enclosure - nnot to mention the 300$ in food everytime the power goes out for 24 hrs and the fridge defrosts

no AC in florida in 90 degree heat is no freaking pick nick.

wilma cause over 15 BILLION dollars in damage in south florida - it was a cat 1

and frankly, there is no way to evacuate florida if a big one comes - we have all been lucky because (other than katrina) there has not been a "major" hurricane hit a major metropolitan area in a long ass time - andrew hit the boonies not miami- it took out thetrailor parks in homestead

no one was serious about wilma here - no one had water, gas power - food, it was a freaking nightmare No Phones - no cell phones

no Clean running water - you had to boil it, except its a pain boiling water on a gas grill

no showering!!!!

thanks - i'll take my chances being inconvenienced by being prepared

That's a dangerous game though to ignore warning

At some point the professional prognosticators will actually be right again. And when they are, unfortunately, it may be that people are in a habit of dismissing their direction.

That's a bad way to have to use "I told ya so."

If something like Gustav happens again, I can almost be that more people will opt to not move. If they turn out to be wrong, many of them will not have to worry about ever moving again. :mellow:

And as mentioned, even a CAT1 can be devastating

Edited by Codammanus-2014

Well, I live in South Florida, and I've learned not to start sweating over 5 days forecasts, oh like the one currently directing Ike right to my doorstep. They are always wrong by at least a category and several hundred miles. Even 3 day forecasts are scarily innaccurate, and in these kind of storms, 50 miles or one category of intensity can make all the difference in the world. So there will always those who prepared for "nothing" and others who didn't prepare because they focused on the center of the cone of death.

Preparing for these storms is a pain in the ass of the highest magnitude, especially if you have a house with lots of glass and no accordian shutters or storm glass (it took me 11 hours just to shutter my house before I installed some accordians). A pool, patio furniture and kids playground stuff, not to mention a 75 lb staghorn fern hanging from a long chain under your patio and waiting to become a wrecking ball add to the fun.

So, when the storm doesn't come it's common to feel sort of let down, because you've been operating on adrenaline ever since that 3 or 5 day forecast was issued. The only worse feeling is to have dismissed the threat and then find yourself totally vulnerable when it turns out that, after all, you're about to get a category 3 spanking and it's too late to do anything about it.

Latest computer models showing Ike trending to the south of SoFlo! Long live Dr. Jeff Masters!

It's not that I'm heartless or anything, but I don't understand the crises (plural). Hurricane force winds are the norm here and we don't see that kind of devastation or anxiety. 70mph winds on Turnagain Arm mean it's a good day for windsurfing. 100mph winds in town are bothersome. Yawn. Ask Sarah Palin about wind storms, being from the Matanuska - Susitna valley!

The delightful Ms. Nanuq spent the weekend in the mountains with me and we had hurricane force winds and rain a day and a half when we got into Prince William sound. The only damage was to my hearing. The rain was hitting the hood on my jacket hard enough from the side to make my ears ring. No crisis, we just got good and wet.