When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Urban Legend or True (White Gold Day-Date)

Codammanus-2014

Hi guys,

It's that season again, for me to hibernate (that is, go back to work). So, I thought I might try to get an answer to a long standing question before I do. Please keep this in mind: I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY DEALER'S INTERESTS. I just want to know if this is a myth or actual product. If you think it will be difficult for you to post a truthful answer without getting into a debate about the dealer (and we all know who), then please start on your next novel. The thread will not cry.

I did some research and found a Day-Date rep that is purported to be layered in white gold and lo and behold, it brought me back here. For the longest time, I wanted to know if any DAY-DATE replicas were ever produced with actual white gold layering because usually, 99.999 percent of the time it is just stainless steel and sold as such. If white gold is actually used, then it would tell me a lot and answer another long standing question.

Do these exist or Have they ever been produced? Or am I seeing white gold where there is just steel?

Because it sure looks like what it is claimed to be. White Gold.

And please don't say it's not possible just because you don't like the guys prices or think he's not reputable. I just want to know if this is something that is offered or is it just in the eye of the one looking.

173736-8979.jpg173736-8980.jpg

Thanks,

Coda.

Edited by Codammanus-2014

Much appreciated.

The photos I posted don't look like stainless steel. I'm almost sure they contain some other element than steel, but of course there is no way for me to make sure.

But like you said, the grayish tone is there, which is what made me think there might have been some truth to the claim. It wouldn't look exactly identical to 18k wg (just as 18k plating doesn't) but there is something there that appears to be other than stainless.

Maybe Rhodium? Although Rhodium is shinier and the matte-looking gray tone really look different (I know I said that like 19 times, but when I see Steel Day-Dates, they don't look like this).

Thanks for your input.

Coda.

I was saying they probably put Rhodium over steel to produce the "effect" of white gold. No, not both though I agree that would be senseless.

From waaaaaay back the SS shine on my Day-Date replica used to bother me up close.

Sometimes you can tell, sometimes not.

See Photo

post-15987-1220736885_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a 'genuine' white gold or rhodium plated DD rep, but ss reflects light with a cool (blue) bias, whereas gold reflects with a warm (red) bias. This is usually apparent if you view both side by side in natural light. Someone (may have been me) posted a comparison picture a year or 2 ago that may still be in 1 of the forums if you Search for it.

Found the thread, but not the photo. I think my question has been answered. There was a lot of mention of the use of rhodium as plating, and that even Rolex may use this on their watches and that it is a common practice to plate white gold with rhodium.

Thanks for the referral.

Rolex has a proprietary process to manufacture white gold and rose gold that will never change color. Most all white gold jewelry and watches are plated with rhodium except Rolex. White gold is achieved by mixing gold with nickel. Without the rhodium it will always hav a yellow tint. The process Rolex invented is heavily guarded but produces white gold that is brighter than any other and will never fade. I have white gold jewelry that is turning yellow due to the rhodium wearing off.

With that said there is no such thing as white gold plating. It is chemically impossible unless you have the proprietary formula from Rolex. Seeing that Rhodium is the most expensive metal in the world, currently trading at around $6,000 per ounce, it is highly unlikely that a replica manufacturer is plating anything with rhodium.

Rolex has a proprietary process to manufacture white gold and rose gold that will never change color. Most all white gold jewelry and watches are plated with rhodium except Rolex. White gold is achieved by mixing gold with nickel. Without the rhodium it will always hav a yellow tint. The process Rolex invented is heavily guarded but produces white gold that is brighter than any other and will never fade. I have white gold jewelry that is turning yellow due to the rhodium wearing off.

With that said there is no such thing as white gold plating. It is chemically impossible unless you have the proprietary formula from Rolex. Seeing that Rhodium is the most expensive metal in the world, currently trading at around $6,000 per ounce, it is highly unlikely that a replica manufacturer is plating anything with rhodium.

The educated have spoken!

Thanks jfreeman, great info. If you don't mind, I'll quote that for my next review... which is of a Presidential DayDate. Of course the watch is a rep of white gold model, and it's all-stainless... but either way it's quite nice.

1.jpg

I own a day/date from EL that was a special order watch (370 bucks).

It took a couple weeks but was plated in some metal that looked to be WG. I scratched off the plating to see an under layer but the outside looked like WG to me.

In the end I didn't give it out to a family member but it still looks like WG to me. The weight is the tell. Nice watch but not as heavy as the gen.

:D

I own a day/date from EL that was a special order watch 370 bucks).

It took a couple weeks but was plated in some metal that looked to be WG. I scratched off the plating to see an under layer but the outside looked like WG to me.

You Wouldn't happen to have any pics of that would you? If the are posted around, I'll search.

Also, did he advertise it as WG plated, or just as SS?

The watch was not all that hard to order a couple years ago, so I'm not sure if there was a post. I don't know if a photo (or my photos) would show the color from WG to SS but I can say that they do look different. EL was one of our best dealers at the time and he had to order it. It looks great but simply doesn't show the weight of SOLID WG.

If anyone is looking for an old Swiss EL DayDate in WG, let me know. It's the best I have seen but not as heavy as the gen. A solid gold bracelet would take care of most of that.

True solid 18k WG DD's do exist. Pricey, but they're available.

Also, it's possible to build them as well, though it's not the most cost effective project to partake in; I could obtain a gen 1803 for what it would cost to build a 3155 based piece.

As for plated models- It would have to be a case with rhodium flashing, though as mentioned prior, this is cost prohibitive. And no such thing as WG plating...

Thanks jfreeman, great info. If you don't mind, I'll quote that for my next review... which is of a Presidential DayDate. Of course the watch is a rep of white gold model, and it's all-stainless... but either way it's quite nice

Of course I don't mind.

It is also important to mention that this watch also comes in platinum, so it could be a rep of a platinum model or white gold.

As for the plating on any "white gold" reps there are many materials they could use to palte them:

Palladium

Nickel

silver

platinum

rhodium

and there is also a fake rhodium plating that is used on a lot of the cheap hip hop jewelry you may see at the flea market. Although this process is quite durable and shiny, there is no precious metal contained in the plating. It is a nickel/zinc type of material.