When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The SSD_Modding time

Nicke

Hello Hello

Im sitting here wondering how i can start liking my Super seadweller from josh more and more everyday according to the Pam Daylight i have.

Then i think maby its time to make some modifications on it? What do you think, what moddification do i have to look for in this one?

maby it is as good as the gen, like we all know all of us, maby not all but the most of us want to have the look as the gen one.

Its water tested and, some other questions will be, does a gen bracelet fit on my ssd?

So if there is someone that knows how to modd and what kind of recomendations i get just send me a PM ore answer this topic. im getting really interested.

Maby i have forgotten to wright something about the watch but ask and ill give more info.

Btw, i have been looking fore rewiews on this one but cant find it anymore. If there is no troubble for you, just send the link so i can make some reeding again.

The older you get the more you foreget? maby?

So long for now .

/N

Actually, rather than change the insert like Omega says, I would just get a watchmaterial.com pearl and install it in the insert. And trim those cg's on the inside edges. That's it.

There's not anything you can do with the crystal (and the prominent etched crown at 6 o'clock) and the crown and tube are pretty good copies of the gen crown and tube, so why change them.

Okej, If i understand you right, i dont have to do anything to the crown, only crownguards. But what about the bracelet, is it good enough? And do you know who knows best how to schave the crownguards down, and mabt cange the pearl ore relume?

If i know right the crown is easy to change via the scruw that keeps it in place. That will me my watchsmiths work.

/N

Watchmaterial pearl metal is yellowy (seems like a spare part of a 2tone rollie), and rep insert needs to be shaved...better a gen insert.

It's better to upgrade crown and tube.. they broke quickly because of poor metal used in rep.

Another fine mod is relume with superluminova c1.

Edited by pugliesotto

Hello Peoples, I have been following your recomendations.

1. What cind of oil should i use to oil the bracelet.

2. Who is making the modding? Is it peoples here in the forum? I want someone that you strongly recomend!

3. And what price is it?

But i did not understand the 5 minutes markers that you was speaking about.

The conlusion is that i need tho shave the CG and change Pear! Maby crown ore?

/N

Guess what!

Tr4 driver just messed up my day hehehe, i have NOT niticed the 5 minutes markers earlier! And i have had my watch for 4 months now. Daaamn its naging me puhhh, it is a bigg difference when you know what the difference is on the gen according to the rep. But really thats life with rep material.

An other thing, i am doing swimming sports and every day i use the ssd in the wather and showers. There is NO problem for now gladly. The only thing is the marks on the hmmmm what do you call it the case, (under the case is the clockwork) where it is ROLEX written , the black forfillnes is getting off The R and the X is with black the other one has ben removed. Any tipps how to fil it in?

Here are my preferred mods:

1. Gen bezel insert. Huge difference visually than any aftermarket parts... especially lume on pearl and the inside edge that meets sits next to the crystal.

2. Gen dial. Several reasons for this pricey mod. 1. Gen lume - 2. Date window is correct with subtle curved edges and correct size of opening - 3. Five minute markers are correct

3. Lume hands.

4. Gen bracelet/SELs or NATO strap. Rep bracelet is very good except for the SELs. If you can find the SELs, that would be ideal.

5. Repaint the case back text with flat black model paint. Then seal with nail polish. Works like a charm.

6. Trim CG's

That's about all you can do to an SSD. As close to Gen as you can make it IMO. Total cost should be less than 1k.

-kp

Thanks KP.

But what can i do by my selfe, i understand that i can do the repainting on the back case with model paint and some nail color.

But what ibout the markers. and i dint really know what is the bazel and what is the bracelet? Abit lost in spece ond the words but maby you can help.

Is there anyone wi can do this? And what sould be the price?

/N

Here's another opinion from a SSD owner:

Do nothing.

First of all, no one will see these mods from more than a foot away - and even at a foot the watch must be well illuminated and still for anyone to see any of these flaws.

Second of all, you can fix all that stuff and it is still just an okay rep - it is no "super" Sea-Dweller. As a watch, it is great. As a rep - somewhat mediocre. And the most serious flaw is the very very thin rehaut - and that can't be modded.

Thirdly, 95% of owners of GENUINE Sea-Dwellers wouldn't know what things to look for to identify your SSD as a rep.

So if you want to do the mods, do it for you - because you will be the ONLY person (aside from your friends on the forum looking at pics blown up 20 times life size) who EVER notices that the watch has a nice pearl, has shaved cg's, good SELs, etc., etc., etc.. And frankly, if I wanted a REALLY nice rep I wouldn't use the SSD as a base - you will just never get it anywhere near perfect.

Just my opinion.

IMHO, the biggest flaw with the SSD is the 5-minute markers on the dial. The fact that they are not thicker than the other markers (like on the gen) makes it instantly recognizable as a fake.

To US, and from 12-18 inches away, with good light.

95% of gen owners (if not more) would not notice the five minute marker flaw unless you pointed it out to them. You see it because you know it is there. Trust me, it is not AT ALL noticeable to people who don't already know what to look for.

You can get a pearl a la carte from watchmaterial. Decent pearl; much better than the rep pearls that come on the watch stock.

As for trimming CGs, I myself use a small, flat hand file. Takes the CGs down pretty quickly, but still provides control to do a precision job (unlike a dremel type tool). Finish off with a fine grit buff and polish and you're set. The key is to go slow and take your time...

I've done the following to mine:

Align Bezel

WM Pearl

New Insert

CG's shaved

Oiled + Cleaned bracelet

Other than superluming it, I think I've done basically all you can to the V2 without getting into huge money (I don't even know if a gen dial would fit...pretty sure it wouldn't) but I've been advised not to replace the crown or tube as they are "excellent copies of the original" and perform quite well. I've taken my SSD swimming and diving to fairly shallow depths (60-90 ft) and it's been perfectly fine... the only issue I have with it seems to be some junk on the reverser wheels (as per The Zigmeister's article on the subject) in that occasionally the watch won't wind off the crown (it'll make a rapid clicking noise). As such, it could probably use a cleaning but since I don't believe in handwinding watches more than the absolute minimum turns to get them going (again, as per The Zigmeister's article) it's not really a huge issue to me.

Best of luck!

Okey all kind rwg menbers, i have been reading alot how to make the cg schaved, and thatnks to you i think i will go for it. Just have to find some grinding paper to make the job well done. Maby i can use some nail grinding thing though.

Anyway i will look for some grinding paper in the shop and i will come back to show the result. It may take i while the schedule is all full "of crap" i have to do :)

Like you say, i need my time, im sure that will be after my Last master of thesis so later i can make some prodjects before finding a decent job hehe.

So i will enter the watchmaterial and se if i find a nice pearl. was looking earlier but dint find any pearls, i will give it a try.

Thanks allot.

PS! If there is anything you need to say about cg shaving and some tipps, im all opend for it before i start the prodject.

I rally like this watch, its all good it keeps perfect time. and i am diving and swimming almost every day.

/N