When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most WIS thing you've ever done?

whitestripes

Some times I have with me a 5 mW UV laser with a modified lens to disperse the light for charging up my watches. Power per size ratio a laser is the best way to go for charging up your watches. It does the job really fast and it has the exact wavelength necessary to charge the lume. I also carry a clean microfiber cloth to wipe the watches if necessary, never use my shirt.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a car, but, I do have a UV torch... I've found that gives the best charge to the lume smile.gif

+1.

Bought the torch for curing UV adhesive when fitting new crystals, but most of the time it's used to charge up the lume on my bedside table watch.

I get some strange looks from my wife when I lick the crystal in the morning and then polish it with my (clean) socks. Morning rituals......

+1.

Bought the torch for curing UV adhesive when fitting new crystals, but most of the time it's used to charge up the lume on my bedside table watch.

I get some strange looks from my wife when I lick the crystal in the morning and then polish it with my (clean) socks. Morning rituals......

You're not really Jeremy Kyle are you?!?! :o:confused:

+1

But I have to admit I want one of those lazer thingies if that isn't a joke.If it is, oops! :)

It's just a cheapo 5mW laser pointer with an added lens for dispersion, you can get one for less than $5. It's the size of a pen and a lot easier to carry around than my tactical UV flashlight. You can also use the LED from your phone if it's really bright, not that efficient but you have it with you all the time. Here's the lazer in action

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/smokiedabong/?action=view&current=lazer.mp4

Edited by smokiedabong

It's just a cheapo 5mW laser pointer with an added lens for dispersion, you can get one for less than $5. It's the size of a pen and a lot easier to carry around than my tactical UV flashlight. You can also use the LED from your phone if it's really bright, not that efficient but you have it with you all the time. Here's the lazer in action

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/smokiedabong/?action=view&current=lazer.mp4

Where do you get a modified lens and how do you attach it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Can't believe I just now found this thread!

Umm, yea...

I am crazy like the rest of You!

Thought I was alone with the whole winding of the watches and seeing which one dies first. Surprisingly enough the Asian movements go longer...

I also adjusted the setting on our cars so that the headlights stay on a full minute after car gets turned off, 8000k hid headlights do the trick quite well for the lume :-)

only takes about 5 seconds really...

Where do you get a modified lens and how do you attach it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

It's a focusing lens that I had laying around and it fit right in the tip of the laser pen. You can use pretty much any acrylic or transparent material that will fit in that hole to disperse the light. Hell ,you can even use office magic tape to disperse the light, just tape one layer over the hole. It even works with my 2000mW lazer when I want to convert it into a UV flashlight.

Now I assume we are all adults and I don't have to warn you about the dangers of playing with lazers, just in case somebody has the idea of getting one of those high-powered 2000mW lasers and gets the beam reflected back into his unprotected eyes. Stick with a safe 5mW , higher than that and you might also burn your nice black watch dial.

Another WIS thing that I do is choosing my watch first and then the wardrobe to match my watch, I also choose the watch I will be wearing in the evening rather than first thing in the morning.

Edited by smokiedabong

First night with a new aquisition - charge lume, turn out lights, turn to girlfriend, hold wrist up and say:

"looooooookkkkk" sounding just like a child seeing glow in the dark for the first time.

Bless my love, she always musters the response, "ahhhhh" and "wooooaaahh" just like she's watching a fireworks display. She knows its coming after an hour or two of me verbally pulling said piece apart - specs of dust (cant you see it?) plus other indescrepencies EG asking her opinion on less than mm engineering differences to gen, or virtually non existent typographical misdemeanors.

That's love, and I'm not talking about the feelings for my girlfriend.

Just to make sure we recall the translation of WIS correctly:

Watch Idiot Savant is the inofficial version of those three letters ... not to find in Wickiwhereever but stated on a well known watch forum several times!

Dr. Theo

.... and I allways change straps on my watches untill I find the best combination; after thats done I let them stay in the box!

Did you know it is possible to disassemble a Rolex crown and rotate its head on the plunger / clutch assembly?

Then if one were to carefully measure their many varying stem penetrations into various movements,

...and if one had a large assortment of crown gaskets of microscopically varying thicknesses,

...and if one were to methodically and carefully polish microscopic amounts of length from the ends of crown tubes,

...and if one were to methodically measure and insert tiny amounts of graphite into crowns before screwing them onto stems,

...it would theoretically (*cough*) be possible to make it so every crown on every watch in a collection, when screwed down, would have its coronet oriented precisely vertically.

Just sayin...... :whistling:

Did you know it is possible to disassemble a Rolex crown and rotate its head on the plunger / clutch assembly?

Then if one were to carefully measure their many varying stem penetrations into various movements,

...and if one had a large assortment of crown gaskets of microscopically varying thicknesses,

...and if one were to methodically and carefully polish microscopic amounts of length from the ends of crown tubes,

...and if one were to methodically measure and insert tiny amounts of graphite into crowns before screwing them onto stems,

...it would theoretically (*cough*) be possible to make it so every crown on every watch in a collection, when screwed down, would have its coronet oriented precisely vertically.

Just sayin...... :whistling:

You're missing the part about "pigs flying". :)

You're missing the part about "pigs flying". :)

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all movements are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the watchmaker's table.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of timekeeping freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their dials but by the beat rates of their movements.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to trade watches with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every Timex shall be exalted, every A. Lange and Sohn shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of Hans Wildorf shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling Rolex bands of our nation into a beautiful symphony of Solid End Links. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be W.I.S. one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My Rolex, 'tis of thee, sweet watch of royalty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every watchmaker's side, let movements ring."

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let movements ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let movements ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let movements ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let movements ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let movements ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!

But not only that; let movements ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let movements ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let movements ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let movements ring.

And when this happens, when we allow all our blessed movements to ring, when we let them ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Timed at last! Timed at last! Thank God Almighty, my movement is timed at last!"