When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I want a Navitimer... First Post!

turboomni08

My first post here. I've been looking and reading, trying to learn as much as I can about this replica watch hobby. I'm at a point now where I feel I need to ask a few questions. I want a blue face, stainless steel navitimer. That much is sure. From what I understand there are not many factories that actually build these things right? So the Tri-complex "new navitimer" model that PT and Josh sell are likely made by the same company correct? Josh sells it in 2 varieties (ticks or numerals) where PT just has numerals. I think I want ticks but I want a quality piece. Does anyone have a navi from either PT or Josh? I've read so much about the watches themselves and the dealers. I want to get the best one I can get... Please share your info and experiences. I want to know who got their nice navitimer from where so I can make the most informed decision. I am in the USA so any US members who can share about safe customs passage would be great!

The modern tri-compax Navitimers with the 28k movement are all the same. Have you seen Andreww's review of the Navitimer in this section (stickied at the top?) If you haven't have a look there too.

I used to own one and it was brilliant, I would definitely recommened one!

The Navitimer is a great first watch. It was my first.

Two things to note as you are new. The chrono function on all reps with 7750's in them are not durable. So a word to the wise - after confirming it works - leave it alone. Second, the SS bracelet was a little small for me (7.5 inch wrist) and I needed extra links to wear it. If you have a smaller wrist then you are ok. If not, when you should ask to buy extra links. Makes for less frustration later when you have to hunt them down.

Usil

Thanks for the responses. The tricompax (I almost looked to make sure I spelled it right...lol) is the style I like. I will deal with the messed up date wheel. Thanks for the tip about the chronos. I hope to get a navi and get started on this new hobby! This quartz Yema on my wrist is just not cutting it anymore.

Has anyone purchased a Navi from Josh? From what I've read he seems to be fast, trustworthy, and easy to deal with.

Oh one more thing. Do these watches weigh a lot? Do they feel like something substantial or something cheapy?

It feels substantial, but once you are used to some of the bigger, heavier watches around, it starts to feel a little small. Its exactly the same size and weight as the gen though. Josh is as good as anyone to deal with.

As for using the chronos, I have three A7750s and use the chronos all the time. Never had an issue, and the oldest is pushing 5 years.

Oh one more thing. Do these watches weigh a lot? Do they feel like something substantial or something cheapy?

Let me ask you a question back:

Why would you think a replica stainless steel watch with 7750 automatic movement would weigh any less than a genuine stainless steel watch with 7750 automatic movement?

This is something I never understood... how could there be any significant weight difference? Do people think that genuine watches have the inside casebacks covered with led or something?

We often see newbies coming here and telling us all kinds of "truths" about genuine Rolexes... how they're "heavier" and feel "significantly better" than the reps. It's all absolute and utter nonsense. There's only one occasion when there's weight difference between gens are reps... that's when you compare a full gold watch versus a plated one.

Let me ask you a question back:

Why would you think a replica stainless steel watch with 7750 automatic movement would weigh any less than a genuine stainless steel watch with 7750 automatic movement?

This is something I never understood... how could there be any significant weight difference? Do people think that genuine watches have the inside casebacks covered with led or something?

We often see newbies coming here and telling us all kinds of "truths" about genuine Rolexes... how they're "heavier" and feel "significantly better" than the reps. It's all absolute and utter nonsense. There's only one occasion when there's weight difference between gens are reps... that's when you compare a full gold watch versus a plated one.

I think that is a good way to put it, lol. I didn't know if maybe they used a different lower grade steel that was lighter. But I guess even lower grade SS is still heavy. I don't claim to know anything about anything. I'm a car guy, if we were talking engines and what not I could keep up with the best of them, but watches are new to me. I just know I want a decent automatic watch and I like the idea of getting into replica collecting. For the right reasons, not to fool people and such nonsense. I'm sure you guys get a lot of newbies on here who want nothing more then to try to trick genuine dealers and such things. :rolleyes: But thanks for answering my questions! I think I'm going to order from Josh soon. Any other comments or info would be great!

No worries man... I have just always wondered where this myth about "reps being lighter" comes from. It makes absolutely no sense to me. The only brand that uses higher grade steel is Rolex, and even with Rolex there's virtually ZERO difference in feel, weight and appearance (providing you oil the rep bracelet).

Check this out, and do some reading around. There's lots of info about watches here. :)

The myth probably comes from the people who have bought some brass junk from the street corner.

The Navitimer is a great watch. One of the classics, along with the Submariner and Omega Speedmaster.

The ones I have had, one regular 7750 Series Speciale and a tri-compax model were both very good. Chronograph worked well. Crisp printing on the dials is vital for a watch with such a busy dial. :)

Probably, Navitimer replicas are as good as they will get. The sunken date will not be fixed until we have a new movement. Maybe the new Breitling-datewheel will be available for the Navitimer as well, though.

Previously, I think most replicas actually were lighter than the gens. I would guess cheap plastic spacers and lightweight Chinese movement were the cause.. Most newbies have likely only seen the replicas bought by his uncle on vacation in Turkey..

The Navitimer is a great first watch. It was my first.

Two things to note as you are new. The chrono function on all reps with 7750's in them are not durable. So a word to the wise - after confirming it works - leave it alone. Second, the SS bracelet was a little small for me (7.5 inch wrist) and I needed extra links to wear it. If you have a smaller wrist then you are ok. If not, when you should ask to buy extra links. Makes for less frustration later when you have to hunt them down.

Usil

I just wrapped a piece of paper around my wrist and marked it then measured. With a tight wound piece of paper I came up with 8 1/4in. So I probably need to get several extra links huh?

I have used the credit card payment once with Trusty (I usually buy from PT paying with cash or by Paypal). No worries, just a phone call from Visa asking confirmation of a payment to an obsure software company in China. I answerd yes and never heard about it again. I am quite sure this is a truly secured payment, but the prepaid Visa card sounds a good idea.

You can certainly use either a prepaid VISA or Mastercard or Paypal...But when i bought my Breitling Chronomat from PT (by the way as you will read, he is a perfect dealer) i used Western Union which is in my opinion much much more convenient and you don't have to worry about security issues as payment is done in the cashier and you are informed via the Western Union's website about the receiving of the money from the other party!!