When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Birthday present

sparx

Hello!

i suppose you're all around the age of my father, 53 :p i want to buy a rep for him, which is robust, simple and doesn't brakes easily. i thought of a pam but i'm not sure. no diamonds, something a bit sporty maybe. what would you get for your birthday from your son? :) thank you

sparx

Think about what he's done for you over the years, and a rep won't do it.

Check out item #160282289412

I don't necessarily agree with you. You have to judge the character of a person, and who better than one of your own family members? Personally, my dad is one of those people who just loves to "show up the establishment" so a rep is perfect for him, because its like a middle finger straight at all of those greedy jewelery corporations that charge too much :rolleyes::p . Others, I'm sure, would be appalled at the idea of a counterfeit anything... you have to be honest about these things before buying.

That said, I think your idea of a genuine vintage watch is a good consideration - and the example you have there, Nanuq, is really lovely.

My suggestion for a quality rep.... I would get him something ST-19 based (2 subdial chrono manual handwind). There is a large variety, the movements are robust, and often you can get a five (or even six) figure watch for under $250. Not to mention the practicality of a 30-minute timer, and a display caseback to mesmerize and fascinate him into the world of replica horlogerie!

Two really popular:

Malte36.jpg

VC2.jpg

Malte27.jpg

213821-16167.jpg

...or the fancy VC for dressy dads:

4.jpg

This is the watch my dad wears, it only cost me $98 - the movement is Asian but has proven quite reliable. Not only, it's a very accurate rep with a $27,000 MSRP

2suspendedjubilleebordezi6.jpg

If you want something that is very simply and very accurate, how about Aquanaut from Patek Philippe? A $17,000 retail price makes this one a great step into the rep world and the sporty design will make him feel youthful on his birthday:

dsc00020sp9.jpg

A dad with big wrists might enjoy a big watch! Try these from my collection: 49.2mm (/) Omega Railmaster or 44mm (/) Panerai. My dad wears the Railmaster regularly, but he's a fan of trains and railroading... it is a beauty, with a 50+ hr power reserve, a loud tick, and a distinctive design. Also, it's not expensive at all.

dsc09434hs0.jpg

dsc09418dg0.jpg

There are a lot of great reps out there, and many are actually better buys (in my opinion) than the very expensive new super reps being released. Some advice: stay away from automatic chrono 7750s, and be careful from whom you buy your ETA models - there have been some issues with copy ETA movements being sold as genuine by some replica dealers. Good luck!

wow amazing ideas, thx to all! yes my dad has done a lot for me, but i'm very young and don't want to buy something to expensive ;) because i still have to afford my own reps, haha :D just brought a br03-92, noobmariner and hbb soooo. of course i want something nice. i love all of your ideas and will check out now what i can do, i still have one month left. thanks to all of you!!