When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Pepsi, movement freezes

looseends

:black_eye: Ack! My first rep, bought several months ago, a GMT Master Pepsi, is now on the fritz. About once a day, the movement will freeze/get stuck, and only a nice hard jostle will get it ticking again (probably not good overall, but not ticking is not ticking). It's not out of charge, it sits on a winder and still stops, or at random while wearing it.

:brow: So, I know from resident experts like By-Tor and The Zigmeister, the modified 2836-2 for running the GMT is probably a drop-dead movement, once it's gone, there's not much hope for it. When first I learned of this, I started looking at movement swapping, namely for this watch a 2893 (true GMT), and even found someone selling hands on eBay, but haven't purchased anything yet.

:g: I'm looking for advice - find someone to service the existing movement (and who would that be? would anyone here touch it? If I find a rep friendly local watchsmith, would it matter, i.e. could they get it going anyway?); or should I seek someone to swap the movement (again, who? Or shall I attempt myself as a learning project, I think Otto Frei will sell ETA movements?); or... is it just not worth it, should I buy an entire replacement, in hopes it will have a 2836 that will last a few good years (and even then, what do I do in a few years?)

:blink: Wow, tons of questions. Any advice is appreciated, I love my GMT! Thanks guys.

You may be confusing the standard GMTII with the GMTIIC. The standard 2836-2 that powers most GMTs is generally a reliable movement.

Most likely, your movement just needs a standard service (clean/lube). However, the problem could still be your winder. First, manually wind the watch 40 turns, set it down on a table (dial up) & see if it runs (untouched) for about 38-40 hours. If it runs without stopping, you need to bump your winder's turns/day setting up (or just wear the watch). If it stops, you need to get it serviced.

Thanks Freddy, will try.

Generally reliable or not, it would appear to me that I have the exception for the 2836-2s (it is a classic GMTII). It will stop while wearing it, and otherwise it does sit on a winder where it will also stop - essentially the same thing I've been doing for months and it was running flawlessly. But now it randomly stops, and does not start even with flicks of the wrist, or manual winding. A good smack into the palm of the hand is the only remedy (admittedly a bad idea, but kind of an all else failed solution, which works). I asked The Zigmeister a while ago about service in general, but he was unwilling as he described the modified 2836-2 (not a GMT movement made to run GMT) as trouble to service - even though reliable to run. I believe his advice was run it until dead. So it's virtually dead, just after months instead of years.

FYI I have a ExpII with the exact same movement, appox same amount of wrist time, same winder... it' still going like a champ. I am definitely having a problem with this particular watch. Just looking for the good ol' free advice. ;)

Opening it up is next, I'm an amateur (Nervous about any kind of opening or manual winding as such.) so I figured I couldn't do much more than know if the rotor looked okay (or obvious dirt, but that would be unlikely). It sounds the same as always - when "stuck" you can still hear it just the same. Secondhand isn't stuck, separate from the minute hand the several times it stopped, and different times of day as well.

I'll probably go the service route if the "wind and wait" doesn't provide good feedback. Just thought someone might recommend "replace" rather than put $ in service. Good to hear service sounds like the solution, even though it's replaceable, I'm very attached. ^_^

Well, I thought WHS 2836-2 were good....but mine had a problem just popping in-out the stem.

Before, it was working brilliantly! Then, I removed the stem, popped in back again and....what?

The GMT hand isn't moving! Stuck! (when following the hours hand)

If I set it backwards, it moves; Then if I try to set the time, it got stucked again.

I won't buy (touch) a chinese mod anymore. :angry:

My advice would be to find someone who's brave enough to service this kind of mod.

Swapping with another 2836-2 could be expensive: does the watch worth it?

Is it a noob gmt? gen parts?

Well, I thought WHS 2836-2 were good....but mine had a problem just popping in-out the stem.

Before, it was working brilliantly! Then, I removed the stem, popped in back again and....what?

The GMT hand isn't moving! Stuck! (when following the hours hand)

If I set it backwards, it moves; Then if I try to set the time, it got stucked again.

If all of the other hands are working properly, then the central GMT gear may have popped out of alignment. If any of the other hands are not working properly, then you may have popped the clutch lever out of the clutch. Either is a relatively simple fix once you remove the hands & dial. What position was the crown in when you removed the stem (winding, GMT/date setting or time-setting)?

Is this the incorrect hand stack movement in which the GMT hand is adjusted by rotating the crown counterclockwise on the date setting or the correct hand stack version? Probably the former as I don't think the CHS classic GMT watches are still around. If the former check the rotor and hand clearance as BT suggests and if the latter it is probably ready for the scrap heap.