When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please reccmmend a watch winder (just got my B&R from King)

KEVN97A4

A good winder is gonna run you at least a crispy hundo. In my experience all the cheaper electric winders are noisy and just don't get the needed revolutions or the counter revolutions.

Good luck!

Well I wear the watch on the weekends bucause if I walk into the MRI room at work....that would be the end of the watch (i wear a cheap LCD watch for work)...

Ok so which 100 dollar winder should I get? Any particular one that someone could reccomend that has worked well for them. Im noticing that I have to shake the watch vigorously to get it to wind..... will the automatic winder work?

Thanks in advance

you need tor eally search the forum, there are plenty of threads on the topic - however, i'm feeling generous today - http://www.acetimer.com/winders.htm hass the most consistant reviews - good people good prices, good winders

if your getting a single watch winder expect to pay 60-70 bucks - if you want a multiple watch winder - its more.

fyi, the cheap ones will die - i had a 2 motor, 4 watch winder -from ebay for 60 bucks, it was a really nice box, but it lasted less than 6 months.

Because the motors are basically constantly on, you have to have a good quality motor - and since winders are a nitch you pay a premium

if you want a nice 1 watch one - check ebay for like 60-70$ you will usually get the right kind.

Personally I don't think you really need one. The winder was designed and built if you had a complicated automatic, such as a calender, or moonphase watch that corrects itself. ie, adjusts for leap year, 28, vs, 30, vs 31 days in a month, etc. You definitely do not want to try and reset a watch like that, very time consuming and complicated. So the winder was invented to keep it wound.

If you just have a basic auto, just wind it and set the date when you want to wear it. Unless your watch is non-quickset, then I wouldn't bother.

I, also, have an AceTimer.

It does run quiet (which is often a problem with low cost units) and arrived really well packed.

I chose it on the recommendation of other people that had left positive followup feedback after a few months use.

I have heard complaints from 7750 owners specifically that their watch's won't wind on a watch winder but I haven't experienced that myself. I appears to be an issue with the angle of the winder.

If you look on eBay for AceTimer you may be able to save $10 rather than buying direct from their site. That's what I did.

Avoid winders that run continually (the cheap ones); they will fail and may damage your watch in the process.

I hope this helps.

i got a cheapie off ebay for $50 delivered. its a single winder, pretty quiet but still audible. kept my gmt nicely wound for when i needed it. only problem was it wouldnt wind my DG4813 SUB AT ALL no matter which orientation it was winding in. there are some days i just dont feel like wearing a sub...

fyi, the cheap ones will die - i had a 2 motor, 4 watch winder -from ebay for 60 bucks, it was a really nice box, but it lasted less than 6 months.

Because the motors are basically constantly on, you have to have a good quality motor - and since winders are a nitch you pay a premium

if you want a nice 1 watch one - check ebay for like 60-70$ you will usually get the right kind.

Phoband, do you still have the carcass of the dead winder? I'm putting one together, and need cups/pillows for it. I have a couple of dead ones that I'm cannibalizing for it as well. I've had the $60 amazon ones (see the "Steinhausen TM44" for example), they're more reliable and quieter than the "cherry wood" ones on ebay, but they all die eventually. I have a heavy-duty, slow motor now and using some gears and perhaps belts from the RC Car world to help drive it, and using a timer and some simple math to set the number of revolutions.

If anyone has a 7750 that won't wind, try tilting the winder a little forward to get the watch more vertical. Sometimes the rotor needs a little more freedom than it gets at 45 degrees. Just make sure it isn't perpendicular to the ground, it might fall out!