When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Converting a Pam rep from seconds to base

V

If i buy a pam with manual wind movement and seconds @ 9 like the usual Marinas and i want to put a base dial with no secs what should i do? Is it something i can do myself ot i have to send it to a watchmaker?

I haven't done it before so any help info would be appreciated :)

Now shhhhh The Zigmeister might hear this and rap me over the knuckles but I think you just cut the pinion off that the second hand attaches to.

And how easy is to do that? Just with a pair of pliers you bent it? I guess it is soft and breaks easily? :rolleyes:

Really easy to do...Take the movement out, Remove the dial and hands and with the movement still on the holder cut the seconds pinion with some wire cutting pliers.

Or a watchmaker could probably remove the whole gear but that wouldn't be any fun. :)

Excellent.. i think i will try your method.. as you said its not funny send it to a watchmaker ;)

Maybe wait until the real experts chime in here first V....Just incase my way is no good.

I would hate for you to wreck your movement because of my bad advice :)

well i dont even have the watch yet so i can wait for more opinions.. but i think most of the people do the cutting trick :)

I don't recommend cutting it, because the metal is very hard, and when you cut it the shock and force needed can either damage and crack a jewel (if you cut in with the movement assembled) or if you remove the wheel you risk bending the pivot.

The other problem with those who cut them is that it leaves a burr, or a piece of metal sticking out that jams in the jewel when you try to remove the gear. I know this because I have seen cut ones in the shop that the gear can't be removed from the mainplate...we have to consider what happens when you cut a hardened piece of metal.

My suggestion on how to do this if you don't have the watchmaking skills to take the gear out (removing the gear is the best way) is like this:

Remove the dial and remove the hour wheel.

Get some blue or green low tack painters masking tape, place a piece of masking tape over the complete dial side of the movement, and where the seconds pin sticks out, press the pin through the tape and have it sticking out.

Take a Dremel with a grinding stone on it, the ones that look like a pencil. Slowly and carefully grind the pin down until you are BELOW the mainplate. Don't touch the jewel with the grinding stone.

Then take your blower and blow all the metal fillings off of the tape, take some rodico and remove any fillings in the hole where you did the grinding, then carefully remove the tape from the movement, re-assemble and voila, all done, no risk of fillings of metal into the movement, no risk of damage to the movement by shocking the pivot by cutting it, and because you ground it down you don't have the problem of removing the gear for servicing, it won't have a sharp edge on it as it does by cutting it.

I have done this and it works perfect everytime, you just need to take your time and be careful and make sure the movement dial side is taped up so no metal fillings get inside. Work with the movement on a flat table with a loupe and good light.

RG

some dials like DSN one, sometime have a hole in the inside face so don't need to be cut.

On my movement Cortebert and unitas, i don't cut it but sand it; i do a "dust proof" protect for the movement using paper scotch and plastic bag, ONLY the small feet are off the scotch; i take my diamant dentist drill and drill it; next to a magnet to retain the steel dust.

Hope this help :D

some dials like DSN one, sometime have a hole in the inside face so don't need to be cut.

On my movement Cortebert and unitas, i don't cut it but sand it; i do a "dust proof" protect for the movement using paper scotch and plastic bag, ONLY the small feet are off the scotch; i take my diamant dentist drill and drill it; next to a magnet to retain the steel dust.

Hope this help :D

Hmmm.. that makes me think.. would it be ok to make a hole in the inside of the dial so that i dont have to mess with the movement?

that sounds like a nice idea..

Hmmm.. that makes me think.. would it be ok to make a hole in the inside of the dial so that i dont have to mess with the movement?

that sounds like a nice idea..

The obvious risk there is that you might accidentally damage the dial, by either heating it with a grinding tool, or perhaps drilling right through it.

The obvious risk there is that you might accidentally damage the dial, by either heating it with a grinding tool, or perhaps drilling right through it.

no its not... because i was thinking FGD dials.. which are made from 2 different parts.. the thick ss disk and a fine top layer with the dial printing. So even if I drill through it won't matter because the top dial will cover the hole!!!! ^_^

Grinding it down with the dial out of the way is the best way....

Idiot me.... my friend currently has my dremel and I just had to finish my 009A.... so i went to snip off that seconds hand.... long story short, i ended up pulling the jewel right out of the movement...

Do not go at it with clippers, pliers, etc.... i now have a dead movement!

I just converted my 176 to a 177 so I have the seconds gear with the shortened pin if you're interested. It's really easy to change the wheel out, just remove two pieces of bridge and replace it. The gears all self align into the bottom jewels, so getting them back into the bridge jewels is a snap. If yer interested in the part just give me a shout.