When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I didn't have the balls - would you have done it? Gen AP ROO

fotoman

So, i was in disney last night, waiting for my wife and kid to get a picture with mickey

another dude strolls up wearing an AP - I had my rubberclad - black dial on.

I said, hey nice watch - he looked over and said you to.

His had a white face, rubber strap but no rubber on the bezel.

So he says, you know i was thinking i like the black dial better. I said thats funny i thikn the white dial is actually better, do you want to switch?

His eyes light up - Yeah, really?

i said, no, no i can't.

his kid wasn't speaking english, so this guy was leaving the country within a few days.

anyway, could have made myself a cool 15k

couldn't do it though :)

Awesome anecdote, it certainly gave me a chuckle :)

Absolutely the right thing to do, or rather, not do :lol: Sure, his might've been a rep too, equally, it might've been the real thing, and indeed, $15k is a lot of money, but I think definitley the right move by not swapping, just in case :)

Papers? Box?

Unless he carried those with him to Disney as well and offered them as part of the deal, it seems that it might well have been a rep'.

Even so, I think you definitely are a better person for not giving into temptation.

I guess that it would cross anyone's mind, even if only for a nano second, but doing the right thing will allow you to enjoy the rest of your trip without having to look over your shoulder.

Everywhere there is camera'd up so if it was genuine, you may even have been on America's Most Wanted :p :p

No way it was a gen. Who in their right mind would swap a $15k watch with a stranger? I doubt anybody with a $15k watch would be that foolish. If you had made the swap, wouldn't YOU be disappointed to see the one you traded for have its seconds hand at 6 or worse yet, to see it ticking away because it was a quartz movement? It would be nice to believe that he was offering his gen for your rep but only because it's so unlikely.

well to all you doubters - he had offset subdials. did i mention that at the begining.

and the bezel looked like it was pretty well worn. - and as we all know there are VERY few offset subdial models floating around.

Noooo way this was a rep. i can spot a standard subdial spacing from 3 parcects (think womprats)

anyway - he thought mine was real - cmon, any average gen owner would think the new rubberclad was real on first blush. also did i mention it was dark out? we were in a lighted area, but still.

i tried to see his date window to see if it was dark :) but i didnt get that close of a look.

he said he wanted the blackone and is on a 3 month waiting list.

Remember it was my jokingly idea to swap :)

anyone who could afford the ap, and wants the black one as well - probably wouldn't freak out over losing 15k.

he was just a nice guy, who apparently had $$.

but, anyone who knows me, knows, no way that i could do that to someone.

if we had more time in line, i would have told him it was a rep and it cost 450$ :) he probably would have flipped. But, alas, the line was short and we move on :)

That is the biggest surprise of all considering you were at Disney.

the wife's family are disneyhaulics - and i went to school in orlando so i love gooing back to see my buds.

this was actually at the "not so scary disney halloween party" which they launched to compete with universals halloween horror nights.

disney getts an extra 60 bucks per person to go from 7-midnight and they have some special things, they hand out candy trick or treat style

my kid is way to young for this - in fact, he was really scarred with the being dark outside thing. he isn't used to that.

MAYBE if when my kids like 10 or something and he'd be big on dressing up would i try this again.

anyway - there are somethings you have to do to keep the wife happy.

usually in my case it has something to do with spending lots of money with little vaalue in return

it's really ironic that a Replica Forum has members with strong ethics.. and Honesty.. I had a generic thought that it would be really funny if watches were swaped and each person found out later that both were reps..

Temptation.. but it's jus a thought .. no way would you have taken action on the thought ... it's a tale to remember though..

Aloha~Cheers

Lani