When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

253 Flyback Thickness Question

joshmv

I'm really interested in purchasing the Pam 253 Regetta Flyback since I finally decided that I wanted to go with a 44mm, but I'm not wondering how much of a difference there is in the look of a 12.5mm thick panerai and a 18.5 which is what they list the 253 at.

My wrists are not huge, about 6.5-6.75. What do you guys think about how much difference it actually makes in the look and wearability of the watch? I wish I could just go try one on but the nearest AD is quite a ways away.

Thanks!

Josh

Interesting question where are you seeing those dimensions on the width? as 18.5 seems a tad extreme.

Basically it will all be in the crystal dome, I recently sold my 1950 Fiddy 47mm which was I think too big for my wrists but I miss the shape of it. I think the 253 could well be the answer

Do you have any PAM's already? Go for it Mate I'm sure it will be a great watch

enjoy

ST4

This would be my first PAM :)

I was seeing that at Josh's. I agree with you though that a lot of that is probably taking into account the domed crystal.

The 18.5 might not be accurate though, I'd love to hear from someone that has seen, or has one.

What size wrists do you have?

This would be my first PAM :)

I was seeing that at Josh's. I agree with you though that a lot of that is probably taking into account the domed crystal.

The 18.5 might not be accurate though, I'd love to hear from someone that has seen, or has one.

What size wrists do you have?

yep!

has to do with the domed crystal...

but it doesnt wear much bigger than my 177h...

I got mine from Josh and advertised thickness was 17.5mm at the time.

great watch!

I have 7.75inch wrists

18.5 is way extreme on this watch. I have a 092 Arktos and it feels wayyyyy thicker than my 253. Way lighter as well and really just feels a lot smaller in general. The only way they could have measured this is on the dome crystal, because the Arktos feels so much weighty and thicker than the 253. If you have reservations I can truly tell you that the 253 feels much smaller and sits a lot lower than an arktos at least and with my 7 inch wrists it feels just right...go for it, by far my favorite rep and the one I get the most questions about.

Smokey

Josh,

I have the 253 and couldnt say that it 'wears' any differently than other 44mm PAMs. I dont know if the figures you noted are correct of not, but I dont put this on and think that it feels 30% thicker than my others. Plus, look at the ranges of wrist sizes in this thread, and everyone is happy with it.

Lastly, since this is your first step towards addiction, here's what you'll eventually figure out...

Its not about wrist size...PAM owners just have bigger balls in the watch community.

Its not about wrist size...PAM owners just have bigger balls in the watch community.

Few posts but great insight. Congrats! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The 253 is a beautiful looking watch. Might be a tad hard to find at an AD, I think it was a limited edition in 2006. But yeah, I have a 6.5 wrist also and it felt a tad large at first. I also got some comments from some folks that it was a huge watch, but I just loved the way it looked on my wrist. Wears really comfortably. Ended up giving it to my father, who has even smaller wrists and he loves it too.

Few posts but great insight. Congrats! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks sssurfer

Its funny but true at the same time. I think you could do an entire thread on just the type of people out there that can 'pull off' PAMs. Right now big watches are in the spotlight, but the pendulum will eventually swing back and we'll see who's left.

A first hand experience just the other day for me on this...I went to my old school barbershop the other day and a new guy was there cutting. I sat down in the chair and he immediately noticed my 127, not that it was a Fiddy, just a PAM. We talked about Seamasters a lot, from vintage to the new Quantum Solace version just released. At the end he noted that his friend was a PAM owner and that he carries himself with a certain "chutzpah". For those that have never heard that term, I think its jewish/yiddish for a bold, assertive yet shrewd type of personality that isnt afraid to take a risk and typically comes out smelling like roses when they do. Anyhow, wrist size becomes a non-issue because personality trumps it, thats my .02

Also, how about a barber going 20 mins talking about 50 yrs. of timepieces? You never know where you're going to bump into knowledge out there...

Curiously, also my barber is fond of watches.

And he has more and better gens than me. :D

• 5 months later...

Great post lads.

As its my birthday soon, I've been looking at pam's and I'd settled for the 253. but then read that is was 17.5 cm on one of the collectors sites. First i thought that couldn't be right, but I guess it is, an after reading this post I ALMOST certain this is watch I'll be going for.

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the collectors watches are priced at the same price....do you think they are operating a cartel ;):clap2:;)

That's a great wristie shot of the 253. That just made it to my top 10 list of things to buy.

Hope that's not you in the avatar too....otherwise you need to shave your arms. :lol:

+1 on the avatar! B) ..and that is one sexy watch! the elephant made it POP!!