When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Coin as Dial?

cdv

Looking for some help/ideas/thoughts:

I have a B&R 01-92 that is clearly a rep, so I started messing around with it. Needless to say, after about a half-day and two movements later, while the date functions no longer work, I was able to at least get the time on one movement working. Unfortunately, it was the low-beat. I couldn't get the seconds hand on, so low beat, high beat, who cares when you can't see the second hand anyway.

Anyway, since the dial is so far off, I thought I would try something new. So, I've bought a couple of Colombian coins that are approximately 35.5 mm in diameter. I believe that is about the correct size for the B&R dial. My question is has anyone attempted to use a coin as a dial. The problems as I currently see them are: (1) the coin is way to thick; and, (2) no pins on the back of the coin to hold the movement.

I think I can handle the thickness issue by putting it on a grinder taking off small amounts until I get it to about the right size. A lot of trial and error. The drilling of the hole will be done on my drill press, no problem. So what about the pins? The movement is crap, so I'm not above installing in "permanently" with glue or some other adhesive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, any other problems that you can think off to help me head them off now would be helpful.

CDV

Glue it onto the movement holder. It will work fine. If you get it the right thickness, the two tabs will hold it all in place.

Thanks. I will give it a try. The coins should be here by the weekend and I hope to get on the grinder this weekend. If things go well I will have pics shortly.

Corum makes a watch that uses the U.S. gold "double eagle" coin as a dial and case. The have machined out the coin and (I don't remember) maybe make use of the other side of the coin for the back of the watch. It is a nice watch.

I have a "knockoff" (not really good enough copy to be called a replica) of that watch which was made about 1968. It was given to me as a gift from a client I had at the time. As I remember it cost about $200 at that time and was purchased out of a catalog. Obviously, it is a manual wind and I use it on occasion even today.

Corum makes a watch that uses the U.S. gold "double eagle" coin as a dial and case. The have machined out the coin and (I don't remember) maybe make use of the other side of the coin for the back of the watch. It is a nice watch.

I have a "knockoff" (not really good enough copy to be called a replica) of that watch which was made about 1968. It was given to me as a gift from a client I had at the time. As I remember it cost about $200 at that time and was purchased out of a catalog. Obviously, it is a manual wind and I use it on occasion even today.

I thought about trying to slice the coin in half, but I really only like one side anyway. Given that, its not worth the effort. But, if I had a coin that had a good face and back, that would be a pretty cool idea. Not sure how I would incorporate the back on the B&R case, though. Grinding will hopefully go well, but I got a spare just in case.

You can buy 'dial dots" to attach a face to a movement.

However I use a few very small (minute) dobs of silicone, making sure the silicone won't "flow" to anywhere on the movement, that could create a problem.

One of my watchmaker teachers told me of this "trick" and commented that the silicone was an ideal medium as it allowed a little movement for "shock resistance'.

One thing I have found, is to give the adhesion plenty of time to dry and set; if you start trying to continue with the job too quickly, you will find yourself redoing it all, and having to clean up your previous mess.

Give it 24hours.... and don't touch the bloody thing during that time!!

Offshore

You can buy 'dial dots" to attach a face to a movement.

However I use a few very small (minute) dobs of silicone, making sure the silicone won't "flow" to anywhere on the movement, that could create a problem.

One of my watchmaker teachers told me of this "trick" and commented that the silicone was an ideal medium as it allowed a little movement for "shock resistance'.

One thing I have found, is to give the adhesion plenty of time to dry and set; if you start trying to continue with the job too quickly, you will find yourself redoing it all, and having to clean up your previous mess.

Give it 24hours.... and don't touch the bloody thing during that time!!

Offshore

Thanks for the tip Offshore. I will go that route. Learning every day that patience is a virtue when it comes to working with the watches. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for the helpful tips on this project. It took a while, but I finally got the coin sanded to a size that was sufficient. It is still a little thick, but it looks like I have sufficient clearance. I did silicone the movement to the dial. I kept the original ring for the dial and put lume at the hour marker positions. I also relumed the hands. It's by no means perfect; primarily the lume I did sucks, but for my first try, I will take it. Plus, this way it is clear I did it myself. Anyway, here are the final pictures.

Thx,

C

img0391wh0.jpg

img0392pu6.jpg

img0393nu6.jpg