When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

24-7030 tube does not fit a freshly tapped case

freddy333

Has anyone ever run into a gen 24-7030 Triplock tube that does not have standard threading at the case end (the crown fits fine)?

I just finished tapping a case using my standard Rolex case tube tap (for you newbies - I have done this many times), but the gen 7030 tube only screws in 1-2 turns (barely 1/4 of the way) & then stops firm

casetubethreading0071.jpg

The thread type or count on the tube is obviously different, which I have never run into before (the threads, both in the case & on the tube, are perfect & there are no obstructions (the tap runs through the case hole easily).

Anyone ever run into this before?

Yes back in replicacollector.com days there were a bunch of tubes available that were over sized. I forget the name of the guy selling them but lots of us brought them via ebay. This is probably 4 years back I guess. Apparently there were made over size for Rolex service centers during service. It seems they had an oversize tap to do this with.

I still have a couple here somewhere.

Ok, just did some measuring of the tubes I have here. The regular tube has a 2.95mm size thread, the oversize has a 3.01mm thread. I don't have anything to measure the exact thread pitch, but from memory the regular tap size is a 3mm x 3.5mm pitch.

Apparently there were made over size for Rolex service centers during service. It seems they had an oversize tap to do this with.

I still have a couple here somewhere.

Strange, in all my years I have never heard of oversized gen tubes or Rolex ordering something like that for service centers. But I am glad to hear it is not me & that there is a good, rational reason for why it does not fit into the freshly tapped case. I was going :wacko: trying to figure it out. I guess I need to get more tubes.....

Too bad, because I wanted to wrap this project up tonight.

Thanks.

Maybe you could find the old posts on Replicacollector.. but as best I remember: Yes they are genuine, and yes they are for replacement on older cases to ensure a tight fit if the threads get a bit worn. I'm guessing Rolex tap the threads out each time to remove old thread lock etc.

The source on ebay was a seller called Ponycar350 (I think..) and he had a whole load of these and a few other genuine Rolex spares brought as a batch from somewhere.

It was posted at the time that Rolex have several graduations of tube, and taps to match, depending on the case condition.

Interesting. You'd think Rolex would have some sort of system for denoting these oversized case tubes. The markings on Freddy's package are fairly standard- the only one in question is the one at the bottom- X03. I put a gen tube in my 16800 a couple of months ago, but I threw the package away. It fit fine, although somewhat tight, as is usually the case on these babies.

I guess at this point, Freddy, you're only option is to get another case tube- maybe a Clark's, or Helfand's or another gen and see what happens.

The source on ebay was a seller called Ponycar350 (I think..) and he had a whole load of these and a few other genuine Rolex spares brought as a batch from somewhere.

That is who I got this 1 from, so that explains it.

It was posted at the time that Rolex have several graduations of tube, and taps to match, depending on the case condition.

That makes sense, but I am VERY surprised, as Alligoat likewise mused, that the packaging does not indicate this tube being 'oversized' or non-standard? I have a feeling it was re-packaged & not by Rolex, if you get my drift. :g:

But, as always, thanks to everyone for the input.