When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most Kick-ass Sub

jnkay

While I am not a frequent poster, I have lurked around for several months, reading every sub post there is, and contributed a few pictures of my genuine TT versus my Eddie Lee rep. But my two black dial stainless reps just weren't doing it fo me, and I'd been hesitant to buy a TW Classic or Andrew's newest sub and be dissapointed by whatever new or unresolved flaws exist.

I figured I'd wait until a convincing ss sub came out, but not settle for "ultimate" or "best" subs which had only minor improvements. Then I read Arturo's post. He went to an AD and bit the bullet. He inspired me to do the same, convinced it could be years before a really good black dial ss sub comes out (if ever), knowing that I'm not interested in doing mods.

I went to a well-known high-end jeweler who's been around for 15 years and has the largest selection of nice watches outside of Torneau, and who is known for having one of the largest volume dealer of pre-owned rolexes in Florida. As we discussed the watches, he noticed I was wearing my Trusty $108 Noobmariner. He asked to see it. He was really impressed. He had noticed that something about the dial didn't look quite right (that white glue residue or whatever under the edge of the crystal), but didn't assume it was fake because he couldn't put his finger on it from his casual glances. He noticed the movement had a junky feel to it when he wound it, but said that given a long but casual look he would have thought it was real if not for the fact that I was shopping for the identical item.

The guy was suitably impressed that he asked why I would want to shell out $4200 on a genuine. Here I was feeling pretty good about my rep, which so many of us pick apart for crown cg, rehaut, etc. But I bought the gen anyway (my bank account is so hurting). While I better appreciate how good our reps are, I love wearing the gen, because it feels so solid, I know the markers won't fall off or decide to stop working at an inopportune time, but most of all, because I can't pick at or improve on it. Peace of Mind!

Now maybe I can stop reading sub posts.......

Thats cool the guy at the AD was a nice guy and actually asked why you would want to buy a gen :bleh: .

Congrats on the watch! Is it your first gen? It is a lot of cash to shell out but at least with a Rollie it will hold its value and you can practically wear it for free!

Cheers,

Jon

If I was the owner of the shop, that guy would have been out of a job immediately.

Then it's a good job you're not the owner. Customer service is about more than just selling watches.

Nice story and I wish I could pick up a Sub like that.

What I thought was interesting about this is the that the guy who practically tried to talk me out of the gen sub IS the owner. The guy, who is not an AD, KNOWS his Rollies, whereas I've been to many ADs like Mayors and many times the salespeople there know so little about their Rollies that they think my Invicta is a sub, even when I tell them it isn't. AD does not = knowledgeable.

We are all so knowledgeable about the tiniest details of our watches that we take for granted how good they really are, and that nobody will doubt the authenticity of them unless you are someone who would not likely be wearing one in the first place. In my case, at least, it was my own knowledge of the flaws that nagged at me when I wore my rep.

If I was the owner of the shop, that guy would have been out of a job immediately.

Agreeing with Pugwash, selling is not always the hard sell. Sacking a salesman who makes a sale seems a strange business model.

Jnkay, If you're after perfect sub, the easiest watch to satisfy it is to get the gen, congrats :victory:

Bet you keep reading the sub posts. :whistling:

While I am not a frequent poster, I have lurked around for several months, reading every sub post there is, and contributed a few pictures of my genuine TT versus my Eddie Lee rep. But my two black dial stainless reps just weren't doing it fo me, and I'd been hesitant to buy a TW Classic or Andrew's newest sub and be dissapointed by whatever new or unresolved flaws exist.

I figured I'd wait until a convincing ss sub came out, but not settle for "ultimate" or "best" subs which had only minor improvements. Then I read Arturo's post. He went to an AD and bit the bullet. He inspired me to do the same, convinced it could be years before a really good black dial ss sub comes out (if ever), knowing that I'm not interested in doing mods.

I went to a well-known high-end jeweler who's been around for 15 years and has the largest selection of nice watches outside of Torneau, and who is known for having one of the largest volume dealer of pre-owned rolexes in Florida. As we discussed the watches, he noticed I was wearing my Trusty $108 Noobmariner. He asked to see it. He was really impressed. He had noticed that something about the dial didn't look quite right (that white glue residue or whatever under the edge of the crystal), but didn't assume it was fake because he couldn't put his finger on it from his casual glances. He noticed the movement had a junky feel to it when he wound it, but said that given a long but casual look he would have thought it was real if not for the fact that I was shopping for the identical item.

The guy was suitably impressed that he asked why I would want to shell out $4200 on a genuine. Here I was feeling pretty good about my rep, which so many of us pick apart for crown cg, rehaut, etc. But I bought the gen anyway (my bank account is so hurting). While I better appreciate how good our reps are, I love wearing the gen, because it feels so solid, I know the markers won't fall off or decide to stop working at an inopportune time, but most of all, because I can't pick at or improve on it. Peace of Mind!

Congrats!!!! I've actually gotten the most praise for my reps from ADs and the reaction "Wow, why would you ever want to buy a genuine?" is pretty common. Not to start the whole luxury item debate again but if you can project first class and pay economy, you sound like a pretty smart cookie to me!!!

Congrats...what's that? A TT and a Black now? Look out for that LV!

While many enthusiasts have held their subs up to my rep only to say "Nice watch...I've got one too" the only time I have ever been called out was by a seller on Canal trying to push a $35 sub on me.

He said.."Mine better...yours too fake" referring to my PT LV Sub. I was blown away. He thought his looked better with those hulk CGS, and the old band style (no sel, and solid midlinks), tiny date font, and 21,600vph Asia movement. What gave mine away? Too low of crystal height of all things. He rubbed his finger on the edge of by crystal/bezel and immediately said. "Your's no good. See...mine better!"

I was blown away. Most of the sellers on Canal that day thought mine was Gen. "You pay TOO much!" was what most of them had to say to me.

@jnkay: Good job. I bought a gen no date sub while in the Caymans. I was with my daughter and went for a swim with a non modded MBW Comex. When getting out of the water I noticed that the MBW had leaked and was fogged up to the max. My daughter asked me on the spot why dont we stop at the Rolex shop and get you a real one? So we did and the no date sub is what caught my eye. I am now saving up for a gen SD. Will get a older used one as I like the lug holes on the outside of the case. I am real hard on watches so a well cared for used SD with box and papers seems to be the best way for me to go. You will never be sorry for buying a gen.

Now dont get me wrong, I really like the MBW subs and SD's I have. Most have been modded by RBJ and water-proofed. They get most of the wrist time. I take the MBW watches when I travel. Would rather loose a rep than the real deal anyday. Even with the MBW quality all one has to do is wind a rep and compare it to a gen and the verdict is clear. The fit and finish of the gen just cant be duplicated at this point in time. Now if I could get the gen date sub along with the SD I would have it made. Take care and stay well, John.

It is best that you have decided on a Genuine Sub.....Sadly, as great as the reps have become, many folks will never be able to accept the fact that their watch isn't genuine, and in the interest of worldwide better mental health, we really don't need any unnecessary angst clouding things up!!

On the other hand, unlike you, I would have that horrible angst burden wearing my psyche down if I DID spend multiple thousands of dollars on a watch that could be very closely duplicated for a couple of hunderd bucks!!

One of the current joys on my life these days is to snap on my very close to original ($160.00) DRSD in the morning, and then open up my banking connection on the net and see that my CD's are still replete with those $$$$$'s that I didn't have to spend to quench my thirst for the dozen or so nice watches in my drawer.!!

It's a GOOD thing that there are different levels of product available that will satisfy the whims of different folks, ...now if I could only find that whorehouse that has all those beautiful young chicks for $ 5.00 each, I'd be a happy camper!!...

Well...I did find it once....@ 45 yrs ago in Olongopo PI... :Jumpy:

Agreeing with Pugwash, selling is not always the hard sell. Sacking a salesman who makes a sale seems a strange business model.

Jnkay, If you're after perfect sub, the easiest watch to satisfy it is to get the gen, congrats :victory:

Bet you keep reading the sub posts. :whistling:

Dang, here I am still reading...

Congrats on your gen purchase ---wear it well!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's a GOOD thing that there are different levels of product available that will satisfy the whims of different folks, ...now if I could only find that whorehouse that has all those beautiful young chicks for $ 5.00 each, I'd be a happy camper!!...

Well...I did find it once....@ 45 yrs ago in Olongopo PI... :Jumpy:

I wouldn't mind hearing more details :lol:

While many enthusiasts have held their subs up to my rep only to say "Nice watch...I've got one too" the only time I have ever been called out was by a seller on Canal trying to push a $35 sub on me.

He said.."Mine better...yours too fake" referring to my PT LV Sub. I was blown away. He thought his looked better with those hulk CGS, and the old band style (no sel, and solid midlinks), tiny date font, and 21,600vph Asia movement. What gave mine away? Too low of crystal height of all things. He rubbed his finger on the edge of by crystal/bezel and immediately said. "Your's no good. See...mine better!"

I was blown away. Most of the sellers on Canal that day thought mine was Gen. "You pay TOO much!" was what most of them had to say to me.

Don't worry...he tells the same line to every single soul browsing his lineup...even to his wife :lol:

Hi sub-brother,

Gratulations with the best buy of the year!! :D

I don't know why, but i always said that i would buy the pam 111 first as a gen, but 3 weeks ago I could only look at the sub, it is so nice and smooth and I can wear it with almost evry clothing..

So enjoy and what i am cutious about: have you got a big discount?

please [post some pics!!

greetz arthur''

Thats cool the guy at the AD was a nice guy and actually asked why you would want to buy a gen :bleh: .

Congrats on the watch! Is it your first gen? It is a lot of cash to shell out but at least with a Rollie it will hold its value and you can practically wear it for free!

Cheers,

Jon

This is my second gen (the first was a tt sub also purfhased recently). I guess you could say I have a thing for subs. I'm very much done buying any watch, gen or rep, for long enough that I have two cents to rub together in my pocket and still pay the bills! But it was worth it to me.

Seems like you've been buying or scouting for some gens yourself. How's the gold fairing on that EL tt? After a good hard polish, mine is starting to show black streaks of tarnish, I guess.

Congrats on the gen. Where'd you get the watch? somewhere on Worth ave?

Fountains Jewelers, in Plantation. Many jewelers will broker one for you, and the jeweler's exchanges are filled with non-authorized but reputable dealers for new and pre-owned.

Hi sub-brother,

Gratulations with the best buy of the year!! :D

I don't know why, but i always said that i would buy the pam 111 first as a gen, but 3 weeks ago I could only look at the sub, it is so nice and smooth and I can wear it with almost evry clothing..

So enjoy and what i am cutious about: have you got a big discount?

please [post some pics!!

greetz arthur''

Thanks. You know you got me started thinking about a gen. Seeing your pictures and reading the post after you bought it and had it on your wrist clinched it. No big discount for ss subs around where I live. $4250 USD is about as good as it gets. One or two jewelers will do it off the books--no tax. Event the preworn ss subs in mint condition go for $3800+/-. Bigger discounts on the tts. Will post some pics soon. I'll pose some next to my noobmariner.

yeah, thats right, 4250 usd is cheaper then the 3850 euro I paid!!

I am love to see the gen next to the noobmariner!!

arthur

Thanks. You know you got me started thinking about a gen. Seeing your pictures and reading the post after you bought it and had it on your wrist clinched it. No big discount for ss subs around where I live. $4250 USD is about as good as it gets. One or two jewelers will do it off the books--no tax. Event the preworn ss subs in mint condition go for $3800+/-. Bigger discounts on the tts. Will post some pics soon. I'll pose some next to my noobmariner.