When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG1: probably replacing my car

greg_r

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercedes is for pussies.

BMW has no decent torque.

Hondas are for our local mexican gangsters.

Skyline is good even great, but expensive.

NSX is too oldfashioned already.

300z is too heavy.

EVO is ugly.

Buy 240SX LE for $3000, put a few grands in upgrade - Corvette engine, twin turbo and custom body kit, and you'll beat any Enzo.

I did it to my 240SX LE. And look on this "Fury'...

Fury.jpg

AUDI A4 3.0 TDI

Audi? Sorry, not even if it was free...

@MGI - 240SX not available in the UK and full engine swaps / rebuilds are too much like hard work. Been there, done that, not again thank you - I simply want to buy a car, not start a new career :rolleyes:

The question is, do you want an adults car, a teens car, a gas saver or a comfortable boat ride - there are just too many vehicles to choose from and it seems you're not fully settled on the type of car you want (mid life crisis? I'm joking)

I've owned a huge list of vehicles in my time and my Merc S420 beats them all in reliability, features and build quality but this baby burns gas big time - the C class is too small - so I would suggest an E class for you - they have a generous mid size to them with nice styling.

1998 Merc E240 V6 Elegance 4dr

image1gm6.jpg

The question is, do you want an adults car, a teens car, a gas saver or a comfortable boat ride - there are just too many vehicles to choose from and it seems you're not fully settled on the type of car you want (mid life crisis? I'm joking)

I've owned a huge list of vehicles in my time and my Merc S420 beats them all in reliability, features and build quality but this baby burns gas big time - the C class is too small - so I would suggest an E class for you - they have a generous mid size to them with nice styling.

1998 Merc E240 V6 Elegance 4dr

image1gm6.jpg

Yes, the E class Mercs a great car and you're right to get a later one, in my opinion. The older model still looks and drives great, but the interior dash and centre console are just pug ugly :o

:)

Well, it looks like i'm gonna be test driving two E class Mercs today:

1. Merc E280. 2008. 12,000 miles.

prius

for our children

Have a read of the environmental impact of making the Prius and the "Dust to Dust" cost.

Also have a read about the "real world" performance compared to Toyota's claims.

A prius is x4.5 more damaging that a Jeep Grand Cherokee ..

A small VAG diesel will give better ecconomy.

Have a quick scan of this thread :

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=635376

There are some good cheap(ish) cars being discussed there ..

Edited by Bibbs

PRIUS

Although it is probably too late... the end is way too nigh.

Death first.

Not even that economical - if I really _had_ to get 60mpg (which actually, the Prius only does under ideal conditions), there are cheaper, better ways of doing it. VW Polo, small Fiat, whatever. My mother drives a Fiat Seicento - gets 70mpg without really trying and it's a riot to drive - much like the original mini.

Have a read of the environmental impact of making the Prius and the "Dust to Dust" cost.

Also have a read about the "real world" performance compared to Toyota's claims.

A prius is x4.5 more damaging that a Jeep Grand Cherokee ..

John was just kidding around, but amen!

Even without taking the manufacturing process into account, the Prius is little more than a marketing exercise. A friend is into electric vehicles and owned a Prius for a while. Dreadful thing to drive. Anyhow, she did one of these 'local rally' type things for charity a while back - a whole day following clues around the local winding (and hilly) country lanes. She got 20mpg! A friend and I also did the same rally in his VW Passat. We got 26mpg. :rolleyes:

If you're over 50 get a Mercedes. I would avoid SAAB at all costs, they are nothing but rebadged GM crap these days. Lexus has more than a whiff of Alan Partridge about it ("I like to call it the Japanese Mercedes"). Having owned a stock evo9 and a stock e46 M3 they're not comparable; the evo was far more hardcore but the M was in a different league. Both were hideously expensive to run :(

If you'll be spending ~

If you're over 50 get a Mercedes. I would avoid SAAB at all costs, they are nothing but rebadged GM crap these days. Lexus has more than a whiff of Alan Partridge about it ("I like to call it the Japanese Mercedes"). Having owned a stock evo9 and a stock e46 M3 they're not comparable; the evo was far more hardcore but the M was in a different league. Both were hideously expensive to run :(

If you'll be spending ~

NSX, hey! Good idea. 3000GTs are a bit thin on the ground and don't have the suport thats arround for NSX owners. Nice cars tho.

M635csi, yum. I drove a loner for a few months (thanks Mr Trivett) and for a big, heavy, oldish car it was an absolute blast! So well built if somwhat bulky. They feel big standing still but the bulk seems to vanish once moving. The ease with which you can powerslide one like you would a much smaller car is amazing. I had a 325 2door E30 with a M6 3.5 in it for a while. That was interesting. If I can find a good one I'm seriously considering a 1st gen M5 next time I can afford to change cars. Thats gotta be the sweetest six ever made and the sound . . . either that or an 840 but th're a bit on the expensive side upkeep wise. Not enough arround. Hate to tthink of panel costs where as the M5 is basicly a 5series. Note I said 840. There is NO WAY I would buy a Beemer 12cyl. The only device more complicated, fragile and expensive to fix that I am aware of is the space shuttle.

Col.

EDIT: yes, Greg Beemer appear to have lost the plot styling wise. None of the new ones apeal to me at all.

Edited by trailboss

Are you also using that car as a Taxi ? Thats what they use Mercedes for over here. :D

LOL. What 4-door car don't they use as taxis these days? I've seen Beemers, Audis, Jags, Mercs, you name it. :D

Anyhow, as you might gather, that was a quick test drive. The dealer and I got in the E280 diesel. I turned the key. We both listened to the agricultural clatter for a minute, looked at each other and shook our heads. Didn't even bother to drive it. Been a loooong time since I drove a diesel Merc, and I'd hoped they'd gotten a lot better. They're certainly quieter than they were, but it still sounded like a tractor...

The AMG E55 is a blast, though :D

I've got it for the weekend and I'll see how I get on with it. He's had it in stock for a while, so I could probably get a good discount. Given that I don't have the decision from the insurance company, despite their promises to do something about it today, I guess final decisions will have to wait but at least I've got something nice to drive for the weekend. The car dealer says he thinks he's got a regular petrol E-class coming in fairly soon, so I might hold off and try that too.

glad we're on the same page greg - and for the younger guys - YES, we are getting old :)

Many real estate agents around here love the benz (high mileage drivers), the build quality on the pre 2000 year is exceptional (before Crysler got their hands into it) but after a few years apparently the quality came back - I love the new S550 and will probably get one once the prices drop more - 150k miles is just getting those engines broken in ;) My S420 has about that and it purrs like a kitten. I wouldn't mind a 1999 S600 - I may opt for that one

AMG E55 wow - I'm not sure I would recommend that one - but I'm sure it's fun to drive - if you were looking in that price range, I'd suggest going up to the S class

I remember when I was in my 20's, Mercedes Benz looked fugly - I thought only old farts would drive them - now I'm head over heels in love with them - getting a C class for my gf soon

after talking with so many different mechanics, it only strengthened my bond with them - they make a damn good car

Canadian winters are harsh and they spam salt all over the roads - cars rust fast but after 10 years my car looks and drives new - it's a freaking tank