When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG1: probably replacing my car

greg_r

Well, it's like this. I'm still awaiting confirmation, but it looks like the tree that fell on my car did sufficient panel damage to make the car uneconomical to repair (fair enough - I kept it longer than I usually do anyhow, so it's not worth a fortune).

The question is: Assuming they DO cough up the dough rather than having the car fixed, what should I buy?

Note, this car may not necessarily be brand new - I believe in letting someone else pick up the first couple years depreciation if I can find something 1 or 2 years old in mint condition. It depends on the deal I get.

I'm also looking for something with sensible economy given the cost of fuel in the UK. Nothing smaller than a 2 litre engine - but nothing bigger than 3.0.

Here's my short-list at the moment:

Mercedes C class (possibly a C280)

Saab 9-3 (or maybe a 9-5)

Something Japanese - possibly a lower-end Lexus.

The words 'Mitsubishi Evo' also cross (what's left of) my mind, but that's just silly - I have no intention of getting back into track days, so it would be a waste. :p

.... or I could, of course, just go completely insane and buy something like an old Nissan 300ZXTT and spend some money getting it tip-top. Would be cheap to run as it qualifies for classic car insurance. Appealing, yes. Sensible, no. lol

The 300ZXTT option is seriously tempting me at the moment as I still regret selling the one I had several years ago, but I'm trying to let my sensible side take the decisions..... dammit. ;)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The c280 is a nice enough car though personaly I would go for a 328/330i BMW. They seem to have more "feel" and are more of a drivers car than the Benz IMO.

Saabs are for Saab people. If you were suited to a Saab it would be the only car on this list.

Lexus resale values (here, at least) are exelent and should offer a good return come trade in time. They build some of the best to come out of Japan as well. Very nearly the equal of the Germans in quality and handling now.

How about a four or five year old M3? You should pick up a decent low milage example in that price range. Sort of an Evo with class. Should hold its remaining value if taken care of. A couple of the newer Alfas are quite nice too and doesn't the S class Jag come with a 3lt V6? There's a cpl of Hondas worth your intrest as well. So many choices . . .

Col.

I test drove a bmw 320d. It was really amazing. With chiptuning, it has 211 hp, goes 19 kilometers on one liter of diesel. Simply a fantastisc car.

Both sporty, and ecenomical. Im considering one atm.

The c280 is a nice enough car though personaly I would go for a 328/330i BMW. They seem to have more "feel" and are more of a drivers car than the Benz IMO.

Saabs are for Saab people. If you were suited to a Saab it would be the only car on this list.

Lexus resale values (here, at least) are exelent and should offer a good return come trade in time. They build some of the best to come out of Japan as well. Very nearly the equal of the Germans in quality and handling now.

How about a four or five year old M3? You should pick up a decent low milage example in that price range. Sort of an Evo with class. Should hold its remaining value if taken care of. A couple of the newer Alfas are quite nice too and doesn't the S class Jag come with a 3lt V6? There's a cpl of Hondas worth your intrest as well. So many choices . . .

Col.

I dislike BMWs, so they're not on the list (yes, they handle very well, but I've had a couple of really bad experiences with BMWs reliability-wise, and their image kinda sucks here in the UK). I've owned 3 Saabs over the years and like them a lot, but am leaning towards rear-wheel drive this time around (Understeer pisses me off... ;) ). I've had a couple of Mercs too, for what it's worth, and liked them, but I'll confess that buying one would be admitting that I'm getting old...

Lexus leave the Germans for dead in sheer build quality these days, but as you say, they've not quite caught up handling-wise. Nevertheless, I'm seriously leaning in that direction.

For what it's worth, M3's don't have class - they're mostly driven by vulgarians and incompetents over here. It used to be that if someone cut you up REAL bad, it was always a Honda. Nowadays it's invariably a BMW or an Audi :p An Evo will eat an M3 for breakfast anyhow, but yeah, the look of the Evo is a little off-putting. I'm getting too old for that kinda thing, I guess. :wheelchair:

I used to like Alfas, but they're mostly front-drive again, and the trailer full of spare parts you have to tow in order to replace the bits that fall off tends to slow one down. :D

I hadn't thought of Jags (no idea why, but there ya go - I should have). One of the few decent marques that I've relatively little experience of, so that was an excellent thought - thanks for the reminder, Col. :)

This is not what you want to hear but here it is:

Take the money from car and cash the check. If you have any investments, liquidate them now. Sell all but one of your reps. Sell anything that people will buy, including your home if you are in an urban or suburban area.

Buy an old (but well maintained) Land Rover.

Buy the biggest tract of land you can afford. It should be in a remote area, have good soil and drainage, and plenty of precipitation. Construct a subterranean concrete bunker with enough space for you and your family. Don

This is not what you want to hear but here it is:

>snip words of wisdom<

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

That may be the best idea I've heard all day. I've already got the Encyclopedia and other books.....

I assume that the beans are in order to produce methane for use as fuel?

:D

@John: not shure to laugh or agree. Only problem is no one can afford a decent sized tract of Brittish soil. Even Surry is worth a motza now. At least I live some where you can still buy a thousand acres of (realy) crappy country for fifty gees or so. Burrying shipping containers is easyier and more cost effective than building bunkers BTW. You can cut holes and join them with passageways to build a whole complex if you want. If you can learn to drive a excavator you can DIY this version too so there's no need to shoot the workers to maintain security. All ways a plus not to have nosey cops arround chasing "dissapered ones".

Col.

@John: not shure to laugh or agree. Only problem is no one can afford a decent sized tract of Brittish soil. Even Surry is worth a motza now. At least I live some where you can still buy a thousand acres of (realy) crappy country for fifty gees or so. Burrying shipping containers is easyier and more cost effective than building bunkers BTW. You can cut holes and join them with passageways to build a whole complex if you want. If you can learn to drive a excavator you can DIY this version too so there's no need to shoot the workers to maintain security. All ways a plus not to have nosey cops arround chasing "dissapered ones".

Col.

EXCELLENT THINKING!!!

Ok, Greg, how about Canada? It

LOl - yep, guys. Tracts of land ain't an option in the UK. I live in a fairly small house in a nice part of Surrey and you wouldn't believe how much it's worth - it's fscking frightening, lemme tell ya.

Scotland's doable, but kinda damp a lot of the time, so RWG1 complex in Spain sounds like an excellent idea. Lemme go buy that Landrover...

:D

I'd avoid the Evo/Impreza group to be honest. Bad image unless you like McDonalds carparks at midnight.

300zx's are old now, and are expensive to work on (as you'll know). And then they are noting *that* special.

If you are thinking old Japanese : early NSX, R32 GTR, Mk4 Supra?

In the current climate I'd be looking for something more classic. 1970's 911? (befor the red braces got in there).

What can I say though, I've a modded S2000 and a Hilux Surf ..

A mate picked up a fully loaded RR Vogue with 4.4 V8 for

Why not look at Volvo I have the S60 D5 chipped 200bhp 50mpg all the extras/gizmo's you could want and the best seats in any car for comfort I'm changing mine after 3 years. I want a convertible for the three days of sunshine we get in the UK I have test driven the BMW Saab Audi and the C70 for the money you get the highest spec in the Volvo.

ooohhhhh.... now I REALLY want to know: what goes on in McDonalds carparks at midnight???

sounnds very interesting...

Usually kids in their mums 1 litre saxos and corsas turn up, put the self serve trays under the rear wheels, pop the handbrake on, and wizz about the carpark like a bad replica of "Tokyo Drift".

You can see the flashing lights, smoke and hear the thump of 15" subwoofers from miles away.

Spectators are usually fat, clad in tracksuits, baseball caps, have bad tattoos, and have whispy facial hair .. and that's just the girls.

Edited by Bibbs

I'd avoid the Evo/Impreza group to be honest. Bad image unless you like McDonalds carparks at midnight.

300zx's are old now, and are expensive to work on (as you'll know). And then they are noting *that* special.

If you are thinking old Japanese : early NSX, R32 GTR, Mk4 Supra?

In the current climate I'd be looking for something more classic. 1970's 911? (befor the red braces got in there).

What can I say though, I've a modded S2000 and a Hilux Surf ..

A mate picked up a fully loaded RR Vogue with 4.4 V8 for

Usually kids in their mums 1 litre saxos and corsas turn up, put the self serve trays under the rear wheels, pop the handbrake on, and wizz about the carpark like a bad replica of "Tokyo Drift".

You can see the flashing lights, smoke and hear the thump of 15" subwoofers from miles away.

Spectators are usually fat, clad in tracksuits, baseball caps, have bad tattoos, and have whispy facial hair .. and that's just the girls.

:rofl:

You nailed it. :D I especially love that last sentence. ROFLMAO!

The cheaper NSXs are the 3.0 and auto (and usually in Red). Performance isn't the best (7+ secs 0-60), but they still do look the part. No rust issues either.

The R32 GTR would be nice, expensive to maintain, but you do get the performance bonus. But as you say, getting long in the tooth. Non GTR versions are comon as hell, and typically thrashed.

Classic sports cars like the 911 are not that bad, the air cooled ones are fairly reliable. Have a look a the clasifieds on PistonHeads.com (Just don't mention yuo like Replica watches, they'll tear you apart). They are a lot better than the classic Italian (Alfa, Ferrari, Fiat) equiv.

It's easy to suggest stuff when it's not my money ;)

Of the moderns, the latest Mondeo got rave reviews (I'm personally not a Ford person). And the New Jag XJ (I think) is also nice. The bad BMW rep seems to be rubbing off onto Audi and Merc now.

Merc had build issues about 5 years ago .. quality dropped.

The Vaux Omega (now Signum?) was big and option packed, big depreciation though. The older deisel lumps were BWM sourced I believe.

I've got a friend with a fully built up Z32 300ZXTT; the thing is a monster. Last dyno'd at 580 rear wheel HP; nicely done with very tasteful body and interior modifications. A car that was very much ahead of it's time :)

I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Much like the 3000GT / GTO .. loads of tech, great cars, but the market has fallen out of the sportscar market.

There really hasn't been much to replace all these cars.

The 200sx (s15) is JDM only .. erm .. Toyota killed the Supra, GT4, MR2 and brought in the Aygo? Ohhh-kaaay ..

I've got a friend with a fully built up Z32 300ZXTT; the thing is a monster. Last dyno'd at 580 rear wheel HP; nicely done with very tasteful body and interior modifications. A car that was very much ahead of it's time :)

I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Yeah, mine was uprated fairly considerably too (500bhp in my case). I did a few track days with it and embarrassed some very expensive machinery on occasion, although there was this guy with a 900bhp Skyline who I ALWAYS found myself struggling to keep up with ;).

Much like the 3000GT / GTO .. loads of tech, great cars, but the market has fallen out of the sportscar market.

There really hasn't been much to replace all these cars.

The 200sx (s15) is JDM only .. erm .. Toyota killed the Supra, GT4, MR2 and brought in the Aygo? Ohhh-kaaay ..

Yeah, I always fancied a 3000GT, actually - just never got around to trying one. Shame that most of the interesting Jap sportscars have disappeared now...

I agree with most of the comments here. What a shame that decent cars are bought by [censored]heads who bring the whole marque down. Back in the early eighties in my pre [censored]head days, I bought a beautiful silver BMW520, not even fuel injected, but it was much admired. My 635csi was a monster too, but I had to wear a sheepskin coat at all times to fit the image. Lexus are great cars. I have an ES300 at the moment which is just like floating on air, but it does wallow on the corners a bit (a big bit). Perhaps Greg, you should invert your image and get an old Citroen 2CV. That should scare the rabbits :)

I agree with most of the comments here. What a shame that decent cars are bought by [censored]heads who bring the whole marque down. Back in the early eighties in my pre [censored]head days, I bought a beautiful silver BMW520, not even fuel injected, but it was much admired. My 635csi was a monster too, but I had to wear a sheepskin coat at all times to fit the image.

LOL - yeah, I had an M635csi for a little over a year back in the eighties - man, that sheepskin gets hot in summer! :D

I also had a 520 (injected in my case) and later a 528. Worst cars I ever owned - endless reliability problems, crap to drive (in the case of the 528, which I bought new incidentally) and they generally cured me of BMW for life, sadly.

Lexus are great cars. I have an ES300 at the moment which is just like floating on air, but it does wallow on the corners a bit (a big bit). Perhaps Greg, you should invert your image and get an old Citroen 2CV. That should scare the rabbits :)

A 2CV will not scare rabbits. It doesn't go fast enough to kill them either. Hit a rabbit in a 2CV and the car's a write-off - the rabbit, however, thinks it has something in its ear...

First buy a garage, so the next tree will not ruin your car again. :p

I have a garage. Unfortunately I have to keep it at home as it doesn't fit in the car.

The tree was in the staff car park at work (before it was in my car, anyhow).