When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG1: probably replacing my car

greg_r

Well the Germans know a thing or two about making ..

Good cars (If you forget about the GM Opel sh*te)

:) Actually Bibbs I recently had the pleasure(?) of driving a Vauxhall Vectra from Scotland to London, and also a Vauxhall Astra from London to Manchester. I must say I was extremely impressed with the build quality and driving characteristics of both. I'm a terrible car snob, but these were genuinely impressive. The fact that thay are so uncool makes them cheap on the used market also.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. What 4-door car don't they use as taxis these days? I've seen Beemers, Audis, Jags, Mercs, you name it. :D

Anyhow, as you might gather, that was a quick test drive. The dealer and I got in the E280 diesel. I turned the key. We both listened to the agricultural clatter for a minute, looked at each other and shook our heads. Didn't even bother to drive it. Been a loooong time since I drove a diesel Merc, and I'd hoped they'd gotten a lot better. They're certainly quieter than they were, but it still sounded like a tractor...

The AMG E55 is a blast, though :D

I've got it for the weekend and I'll see how I get on with it. He's had it in stock for a while, so I could probably get a good discount. Given that I don't have the decision from the insurance company, despite their promises to do something about it today, I guess final decisions will have to wait but at least I've got something nice to drive for the weekend. The car dealer says he thinks he's got a regular petrol E-class coming in fairly soon, so I might hold off and try that too.

Now we're talking - AMG are fantastic.

:) Actually Bibbs I recently had the pleasure(?) of driving a Vauxhall Vectra from Scotland to London, and also a Vauxhall Astra from London to Manchester. I must say I was extremely impressed with the build quality and driving characteristics of both. I'm a terrible car snob, but these were genuinely impressive. The fact that thay are so uncool makes them cheap on the used market also.

Oh dear ..

It just shows how bad other marques are if the Vauxhall lineup is concidered good.

Same as Euro Fords.

The only good reicent Vaux are :

VX220 (Made by Lotus), Monaro (Made by Holden) .. erm ..

Fords? If they come from Europe, no.

XR6, XR8, GT & Mustang - Yeah, they'll do.

(All in my opinion obviously :) )

Edited by Bibbs

Are you trying to tell us it is a pleasure to drive from Scotland to London?

I have a confession to make. My current car (the one with added tree) is a 2.5l Vectra.

It started off as a company car. After about a year of running it, the company decided they weren't going to do company cars any more (which was fine by me - the tax penalties are painful) so offered the car to me at a ridiculously good price. It wasn't my sort of car, but the price was too good - I bought it and have been running it ever since (it's now 4 years old - unusual for me as I normally replace my cars every 2-3 years). Yes, whilst it's fairly quick (quicker than you might expect) it isn't exactly dynamic to drive, but it's well screwed together (better than the Saab 9-3 Aero I had before it), 100% reliable and has been a good workhorse - it hasn't given a day's trouble in the 80,000-odd miles I've done in it so far. It's probably the least flashy, fun or interesting car I've owned in 25 years, but although it bores me to death, respect is due - they're a LOT better than their reputation suggests.

However, boredom gets... err.... boring - and I'll admit that I'm also a car snob - hence sensible is going out the window and I'm returning to my penchant for slightly more interesting machinery =]

Well it's a lot better than the other way ;)

:rofl:

Many real estate agents around here love the benz (high mileage drivers), the build quality on the pre 2000 year is exceptional (before Chrysler got their hands into it) but after a few years apparently the quality came back - I love the new S550 and will probably get one once the prices drop more - 150k miles is just getting those engines broken in ;) My S420 has about that and it purrs like a kitten. I wouldn't mind a 1999 S600 - I may opt for that one

AMG E55 wow - I'm not sure I would recommend that one - but I'm sure it's fun to drive - if you were looking in that price range, I'd suggest going up to the S class

Yup - Benz lost the plot for a couple of years, but they seem to have gotten their mojo back post 2004 - this thing just oozes quality. Hopefully quality is back where you could put 250k miles on a Merc without worrying about it (I did close to that in my first - an '80s 230TD estate).

It'll be interesting to see what the economy is like on this AMG, though - I'm told I should expect to be pleasantly surprised provided I don't drive it with a lead foot.

I'll confess I looked at an 'S' class on the forecourt. Gorgeous thing, but I think it's going just a little too far for me - it would be easily the most upmarket car in the parking lot at work and I don't like to be quite that conspicuous (especially given that we are a charity). The AMG, however, just looks like another E-class and would fit in with the BMWs & Audis driven by some of my colleagues.

I initially liked the Lancer ..it LOOKS awesome. like an airplane from the front. test drove it. it was weak. then i drove the mazda 3. nicer interior, it felt more natural, and more punch even tho it had less horse. only thing is it DIDNT look like the lancer. dealer offered me free skirts and spoiler to get it more lancer like if i bought it.

still undecided

but the Mazda3 is worth looking at. probably even cheaper on insurance... at least here...as for Mercedes Benz...well everyone knows it's made in Mexico :)

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

Rx-8 R3 is out. 0-100km 6seconds. 19"alloys, sports sus, body kits. starts at $40k CDN

but i'd wait till 2010 for the rx8 totally redesign including a new engine. who knows, maybe even a factory Turbo for north america this time.

Veyron is a helluva car! W16 engine!

and for those who havnt seen it yet :

TopGear speed record on the Veyron

TopGear Veyron VS EuroFighter 2000 jet

No Infinity in the UK.

The price of petrol makes the 350z (the G35 equivalent? or the import Skyline) and the RX8 a bit silly here.

We have just had a MASSIVE price drop in petrol, people are raving that it's only 99p a litre (About $6.90 a US Gallon).

Edited by Bibbs

Can you guys buy Infiniti in the UK? I feel like it's just badged as Nissan... In any case, I'd echo the Jag and add that I've got an Infiniti G series and the new Mazda6 and both are a blast to drive..

Mazda RX8 is pretty cool

http://www.mazda.co.uk/showroom/rx-8/

Good luck!

Thanks, Shundi :)

Nope, Infiniti isn't available over here. Other than the 350Z and the new GTR (which is out of my price range, otherwise we'd not be having this conversation as I wouldn't be looking at anything else) there's not much upmarket available from Nissan over here. I've driven the RX8 - very nice car and a real bargain, but if I'm going to be sensible, I should go for a proper 4-seater (the RX is more of a 2+2). I'm 99.9% decided on acting my age and buying a Benz :)

Speaking of which, before I start drinking, I think I need to go have a quick blat around the local lanes in the AMG.... back in a while :drive1: