When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The counterfeit-proof watch

wombat247

I think its interesting that they start off with the VC and then throw up a pic of the new, monster PAM depth gauge....kind of a disconnect for me on that.

On another note...are F.P. Journe's another timepiece in the 'too difficult to rep' category? I am always so impressed with his work, and then two or three thoughts later I find myself thinking...way too complicated, ornate to start mass manufacturing in China. Thoughts?

Visible in house movements seem to be the way to go in the current wave of reps to prevent counterfeits or, at least, make it easy to spot them as such...

I wouldn't be surprised, given a year or two (or three) what the Chinese will be able to do with movements... if they're capable of tourbillions who says they can't replicate a movement like the Rolex 3135 fairly accurately? We're already seeing cutout rotors and maroon reversing wheels on some very very cheap movements... if the last few years have shown us anything it should be that the sky's the limit in this crazy industry...

If the security features can't be seen by the naked eye, who cares?

I don't care if an AD with special infared lights and microscopes can tell if it's a fake,

I care if the hot Flight Attendant in the dark, smoky airport bar can tell it's fake

- After three cosmos.

All the watch needs to do is get her to say "hey, nice watch" - I'll take it from there.

If the security features can't be seen by the naked eye, who cares?

I don't care if an AD with special infared lights and microscopes can tell if it's a fake,

I care if the hot Flight Attendant in the dark, smoky airport bar can tell it's fake

- After three cosmos.

All the watch needs to do is get her to say "hey, nice watch" - I'll take it from there.

haha - I couldn't have said that better

in house movements you can only see from the back? - it only bothers rep geeks - a solid watch that looks like the gen from a foot or two away is all most ever care about

One of my other interests is CNC machine tools. Its used to be the chinese tools were pretty inaccurate and only good for low grade hobby use.. now they are starting to nip at the heels of the big names, and for a fraction of the price.

The brand name watchmakers are pretty much all using CNC manufacture now.. despite what the pictures in the brochures like to pretend. The better your CNC the better the stuff you can make.

That particular VC is obviously a tough one, but I do predict we're going to see some reps of stuff we think is impossible right now.. and I think it'll happen rather quickly too.

Visible in house movements seem to be the way to go in the current wave of reps to prevent counterfeits or, at least, make it easy to spot them as such...

Could do what they did for the latter "fast and furious" films.

Take photos of good engines, print them and then put the pics behind the grills etc of std cars. :lol: