When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine ETA?

highoeyazmuhudee

For all the ETA experts:

I know it's hard to tell sometimes but was wondering if i bought a real ETA or a clone.

the pics kind of suck, but i picked this movement up for $90 firm, the ETA logo is there and is etched very crisp on the plate, there is NO 'DM' but instead 'PH' (phillipines perhaps?) the sheen to the finish of the movement is a creamy gold color, some of the fakes iv'e seen are a brownish gold color.

either way here are the pics:

thanks guys

post-10838-1224271028_thumb.jpg

post-10838-1224271066_thumb.jpg

post-10838-1224271109_thumb.jpg

post-10838-1224271178_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

i bought exactly the same mvts. from bandmaniac on ebay!!!

with PH engraved and a weird shock protection on the balance jewel...

i tell him that they are asian clones, but he claims that they are genuines from far east ETA production line -_-

anyway they're working perfectly and i'm gonna use 1 to swap an old 21J, but i don't know if ETA spares are compatible??? :dots:

the question is : where ETA produces mouvements in the world and is there different mechanical quality???

:confused:

RG

Very limited skils here, but I would say asian copy. This whole "asian or genuine ETA" thing is getting brutal. Even though I would say asian, the balance spokes look ETA. I'm gonna give up and just order cheaper asian versions from now on.

smc

the finish on the mvoements he sells including the engravings are pretty good. i know eta DOES have a plant in the far east, but i think eta and eta clone companies have become interchangeable with some people and they may think they are all the same thing. this ebay seller has 100% feedback and im sure at least one hardcore watch builder has bought one of thse from him by now and would have left a negative if it wasnt genuine. sellita and even seagul has copied the 2836, except they call it by their own brand name since etas design patent has expired. the seagul and sellita are close in price to the genuine swiss so maybe this example is a counterfiet. what i think is that this movement is a genuine eta from their asian factory, may get used in such brands as SANDOZ. i cant find any information on the internet about an eta with a ph stamping. but im almost positive they have a factory in the philippines.

the lack of 25jewel stamping on the rotor IS puzzling tho. if it were a clone why goto the trouble of replicating poorly when even a fake engraving would be easy and make it authentic. i might actually email eta on this cause i am curious.

but as long as it runs for that price it isnt bad, the finish and craftsmanship on mine is pretty good looking.

I'm going to say this is a clone. The reason is, if you look at the hole where you release the stem, it's not very well machined. On a true eta, it's a round circle with slot and it's well machined- on yours it's not well machined, IMO. I ran into this on another movement which turned out to be a clone indeed. The rotor would be the second strike against it.

Of course, having a watchmaker look at it is really the best option.