When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Passing your rep off for a Genuine..

lanikai

Interesting read and comments. I have been asked once and it was 3 years ago wearing my gen SA. Then someone commented on a look a like quartz breitling bentley as gen. Can you believe it? :blink: If I get asked again, my answer would be well what do you think?

I think we've covered this part before - you have to look the part or look like 'you have arrived' as someone mentioned. Otherwise, the likelihood of being asked goes higher. But a collector will definitely be very interested and may even ask.

It's funny, the few times that people actually mention the watch I am wearing it never occurs to them that it might be a ' fake '.

I actually enjoy telling people that the watch that I am wearing is in fact a fake.

Most of the folks who I know could care less. I am not in a corporate atmoshere, quite the contrary...jeans and polo shirts for work, and 99% of the people I deal with could care less what kind of watch I wear.

I mostly wear my MBK Nautilus, or my 3717, or my SOH, all classically beautiful watches... all expensive in one way or another...and NO ONE cares. Only me.

If you try and pass off something like a HBB as gen and it costs 10,000.00, and you only make 30,000.00 a year then that is absurd. On the other hand if you are older and have a good income, then who would ever question how much your watch cost? Or care?

The way I see it, the observer needs to be aware of the cost of a watch for their suspicions to be aroused in the first place. When I gave my friend a Radiomir for his birthday, despite living in an 'afluent' town where a lot of the adults are 'city commuters' it wouldn't surprise me if he was the only person in town wearing a PAM, gen or otherwise. Now, I think the chances of a video store clerk wearing a gen Radiomir to be nearly non existent, but, it wouldn't surprise me (although I haven't asked him) if no one had ever passed any comment on it more than 'nice watch', if that. Of course, when it's a case of seeing someone's watch in a bar or club, if they're well dressed, unless there are noticeable tells, it becomes harder to guess if they could afford a gen or not. Personally, from the comments I've read from older members, being called out, I've come to see that it's not so much a situation for personal shame or embarassment, but a sign of a lack of taste and manners in the person asking, so in many cases, not worth dignifying with a response. As Pugwash has pointed out before, yes, they might be right, it might well be a fake watch, but all they're doing, is showing their own lack of class for bringing it up.

Thank you all... some really interesting feedback.. I agree with all that's said.. and TJ .. said it ... those who purposely "call out" anyone are really classless... although I could see doing it to someone that was acting the "snob" .. and pushing his or her weight around as if to say .. "I'm better than all of you".. then it would be an enjoyment to somehow ask if the timepiece they were wearing was actually "real"

What I was actually trying to do was save someone from total embarrassment .. as he has the propenceity to over do "talk" .. but oh well .. lesson learned.. unless asked.. mind my business..

and btw.. I never wear a rep that is "over ma head".. if I go to dine at one of the 5 star hotels .. alot of international tourists there.. I like to wear something that has been modded by Ziggy.. after I sourced parts for it.. that way I am totally up front with .."my Hobby" :D

I bumped into a friend of mine last night at a gig and she was wearing a Sub. She's a lot younger than me, but there was no doubt it was a gen. Her brother pointed out I knew a bit about watches. I mentioned that it was a very recognisable watch and she said it was her boyfriend's. "Is it a good one?" she asked, wondering if it was regarded as a decent choice by people who know watches. I told her it was and she beamed with pride her boyfriend, a what-used-to-be-called-first-division football manager, had a decent watch as opposed to poor taste.

She just knew it was a nice watch. It would never have occurred to her, a gen Rolex-wearer, that my Breitling BCE I was wearing wasn't gen. I told her some of mine are fakes and some aren't.

I have two Gens vintage Omega an one SMP Rep. The reason? I will bought a real in a few time... But I'm not patient and I bought a rep. I have a friend who have a gen Bell And Ross and fake Rolexs and this guy have money. So, what's the deal? I'am just this type of guy. Just a watch lover.

I love this place and do you know why? Because we wearing replica and finally that much interesting than wearing a gen if you are interesting by watch mechanism because we have the obligation to repair it by our self. So we have more knoweldge than basic watch lover and finally we know much more about gen watch because we are looking for the perfection with our rep... That great.

Speak about "fake" with basic people is not interesting for me because they can't understand. And our super rep respect more and more gen brands than that sh*t you can buy in the street. And when you say "replica", people think "street". We can't talk about super-rep because for many people than can't be real.

That my view.

Speak about "fake" with basic people is not interesting for me because they can't understand. And our super rep respect more and more gen brands than that sh*t you can buy in the street. And when you say "replica", people think "street". We can't talk about super-rep because for many people than can't be real.

That my view.

That's very true. I saw a discussion on replica goods on MSN Homepage a few months back, and some people didn't have a clue about the quality of high end reps available. They certainly didn't know that a lot of it was because the gen brands outsourced production to China to save on costs... Some of them even still thought that buying reps funded terrorism :rofl::lol:

Then again...

achmed.jpg

:rofl::lol:

If anyone ever asks me... I can take pride in stating the truth:

'I built this watch from parts'

:)

I agree. Then I can actually talk about the hobby, rarely ever getting into whether or not the parts are Gen. Saying I mess around on the internet finding cheap parts and I built it for much cheaper than buying it at a dealer is true.

LOL - I hear that, and it's one of the reasons why I wear reps too. I could afford a gen or two, but given that I've completely destroyed one rep and scratched the hell out of two others so far this year, I don't think my blood pressure could handle gen ownership ;)

Ill second (third, fourth, however many times it's been said) that. I don't have any interest at this point in my life, nor do I think I ever will, of wearing a multi thousand dollar purchase on my wrist. The only way I may is if I get alot wealthier than I anticipate, or if it could appreciate in value. Same reason I buy cheap foreign cars. Ill take the money I save and put it in something that will appreciate.

I bought my first rep, dropped it off my balcony the first day, and put a huge dent in the crown and dislodged some of the dial markers. I have more important things to worry about than whether I am going to do this kind of (1000$+) damage to a gen accidentally.