When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1665

rolexlover

I went through all these scenarios in my mind when it was time to service my 6536. One man had been in the watch in the last 19 years, Tom Nesbitt in Seattle. Tom is MORE than excellent, but I know Ziggy is an artist...and that did it for me. His attention to detail and his listening skills are top notch. In the end I got more than I hoped for.

Freddy is right... if you want provenance then a RSC is the way to go.

I doubt rolex service center would ruin a DRSD in swapping everything.

here in paris the reliable place to service a collection rolex is directly at rolex building NOT and AD.

You can make very clear what you whant serviced or not.

And everything is writen before on there nice green paper :) with complete price quote of each parts and works to be done.

they are used to deal with collector ...

All people i know that whanted to keep there vintage as it is, never had any trouble, even if they were initialy ofered to replace there cracked tritum hands and such, by the jhon do that welcome cutomer, this change as soon as you speek with a manager or watchsmith ...

but i have heard that rolex now somtime refuse to work on too costly rare and exotic model though ...

I doubt rolex service center would ruin a DRSD in swapping everything.

here in paris the reliable place to service a collection rolex is directly at rolex building NOT and AD.

You can make very clear what you whant serviced or not.

And everything is writen before on there nice green paper :) with complete price quote of each parts and works to be done.

they are used to deal with collector ...

All people i know that whanted to keep there vintage as it is, never had any trouble, even if they were initialy ofered to replace there cracked tritum hands and such, by the jhon do that welcome cutomer, this change as soon as you speek with a manager or watchsmith ...

but i have heard that rolex now somtime refuse to work on too costly rare and exotic model though ...

The Rolex Centre in Canada (St. Clair in Toronto) returned all visible parts on my vintage Rollies after servicing without asking. Certainly in the case of something as rare as the DRSD, they would not be foolish enough to swap out dials and polish the case...but like Freddy said...get everything detailed in writing and you should be good to go.

The movement is 1570. It looks like in good condition.

I removed the automatic winding parts from the bridge plate and examined the gears. They all look OK. I put a bit of pressure on the driver gear and the watch starts running again. It seems the main spring is broken.

I want to remove the stem from the movement. How do I release the stem? There is no push button as in ETA, but there is a small screw next to the stem.

It may be the one.

Does anyone have experience with removing the stem from rolex 1570 movement?

I appreciate your helps on this.

post-198-1225056368_thumb.jpg

I want to remove the stem from the movement. How do I release the stem? There is no push button as in ETA, but there is a small screw next to the stem.

It may be the one.

Unscrew the stem, but leave it in the winding position. The screw southeast of the stem (to the left of the 'A' in Rolex S.A.) needs to be unscrewed approximately 1.5 turns, then the stem will slide out.

A friendly advice, please, if you don't know 100% what you are doing, leave the movement to an expert. These are bullet proof movements and they can take a lot of mistreatment - but it doesn't make sense trying to play around with it. Hand it to Rolex, they will do a great job. The balance staffs are probably run down and the mainspring certainly is broken, this happens quite often on the 157X movements. I can see that this watch is an everyday wearer, so the service will involve many parts, includinga new rotor axle and maybea new rotor jewel - the rotor is already grinding down the autowinding bridge.

The screwheads look to be in good condition, so the movement wasn't messed with in the past, leave it like that and Rolex will service it - then you will see how such an old watch can still perform likea Chronometer.