When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Project

RobbieG

Hi Guys,

I have finally realized that I want to embark on a vintage Rolex project and I need some guidance. First let me say that I don't intend to do the mods myself, so I will need to either accumulate the parts myself and then have someone assemble it for me, or sort of commission someone who enjoys it to do it all for me for a fee (I'll pay great for this if anyone is interested!)

Anyway, Here are my thoughts: It will be a Rolex of some kind - either a Sub or SD. I guess I would prefer to have a watch with a glass crystal as opposed to plexi. I have two sort of broad ideas. I think most people tend to build stuff that looks aged and I may do that, but I may go the other way too and maybe build something as more of a NOS homage to a watch that is clearly a replica creation of what it would have been like if I bought it new and put it in a safe for years. Obviously, this way saves a lot of time and effort in aging parts/lume, etc. I suppose if I went in the NOS direction, the plexi crystal is more on the table for me. Then again, I may go the aged route, but it would have to go all the way in that department. In other words I don't want it to be incomplete in any way - like aging everything and then still having stark white lume or something.

So having said all that I wonder what watch you would choose and why and what your suggestions would be for getting parts, choosing a modder/assembler, etc.

P.S. I would especially love to hear what Tribal & Ubi & Freedy & Lani & Stephane and any other vintage modders/owners that I didn't already mention but am forgeting off the top of my head. Thanks in advance to any who can help as I am a total neophyte regarding vintage Rolex. Figure out what someone who knows nothing knows and then divide that by two and you have me. LOL...

Oh, and do post LOTS and LOTS of pics please.

Thanks,

Rob

Well, I would say you have to make an important decision. Do I want to go for a SD or a Sub. If you chose SD then the 1665 MBW is the obvious route (the one I chose) although it does have plexi glass. If you choose Sub then the options are more open. Make this decision now and save yourself alot of time.

Good luck.

Roger that. Don't do a 5513 because it's like the kid brother of a SD. So you're down to a 1665 SD or a 1680 Sub. My favorite is the 5508 or 6536 but most people don't like watches that small.

The SD is arguably the most comfortable watch to wear, so.... do that. Phong parts and my crystal will have you set. If you decide to do a big crown 5508 I have the crystal for that too.

PS: ivory white markets are expected on a SD.

I think you would do well to decide on which specific watch you want to build. We all know the various models in the Rolex lineup, but only you know which model gets your heart pumping. Once you have the exact model pinned down, people will be better able to provide direction & input. For ideas, do what I do - spend some time perusing TZ or VRF or just search google.

1 thing I can tell you is that sapphire magnifies every single fingerprint & dust particle that touches your crystal. Plexiglas tends to mask most of them. One of the things I hate about modern Rolex designs is the way they ALWAYS look filthy. No matter how careful you are, your beautiful watch is always covered with a film of dirt & grime. Not my cup of tea.

Actually, I can add 1 more personal tidbit - To my eye, a vintage watch wearer is a watch collector. A modern watch wearer is a watch buyer. Choose your poison.

I second what freddy333 has just said. If you go the vintage route (either SD or Sub) or the modern, it says something about you and it is your decision to go whatever route you choose. It's a bit like a person who drives past in an XK8 or the person who drives past in an XKE. I know who I would rather have a pint with but that's just me.

It's a bit like a person who drives past in an XK8 or the person who drives past in an XKE. I know who I would rather have a pint with but that's just me.

Whoa, Tanto. Let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater. As an ex-E-Type owner/restorer, I think I could make an exception for an XK8 owner

1999-Jaguar-XK8.jpg

(Not 1 of mine...........sadly)

guys, i am sorry for going off topic, but since you mentioned XK8 ( i love this car) - way too many with engines failed under 100Kmiles. i was seriously looking into getting XK8 back in the days but reviews pushed me away. later when i have more funds set aside just for hobby cars i may get one.

now back on topic - SD gets my vote. In general - vintage is the way to go in this hobby ;)

Nice cars...

..but doesn't the electric system go bad on these? ;)

Lol, ok, back to subject... How about something truly unique? How about a triple 6?

So what do you guys think about the 5512 idea?

I think it is a great idea. But what is your goal? How gen do you want to go?

If you are willing to accept a rep with a few gen parts (crown, crystal, etc.), then that is relatively easy. But finding a gen case or dial will be both costly & time consuming. Of course, there is also the cost of a gen 1520 or 1570 movement that has to be factored in ($1,000-$1,500 +/-). And are you going with a gen bracelet (another several hundred for a 9315 or 93150) or an aftermarket strap?

If you are willing to accept a rep with a few gen parts (crown, crystal, etc.), then that is relatively easy. But finding a gen case or dial will be both costly & time consuming. Of course, there is also the cost of a gen 1520 or 1570 movement that has to be factored in ($1,000-$1,500 +/-). And are you going with a gen bracelet (another several hundred for a 9315 or 93150) or an aftermarket strap?

With any project, I think I would like to go as far as gen parts and bracelet but certainly not a gen case or movement. If a gen dial makes the watch I would like that.

That said, I decided I don't want an SD so my other choice would be a white 1680. So that said, in my mind I'm thinking that this is how far I would go:

MBW case

gen crystal

gen crown

bracelet - is the rep OK and if not can one find gens at all?

rep dial - aging/lume aging?

and the big question which is the datewheel - what are the options here for a more gen-like DW?

Please fill in thoughts as to what you would do/be concerned about if you were doing this 1680 project with my goals in mind and what you anticipate the cost to be if I have to pay someone to do the work if I get the parts. Thanks again guys...

MBW case is good.

Gen crystal & crown are both available (ebay & other sources) for around $100+ each (plus a bit extra for a gen tube).

crown_assembly1.jpg

(The items in this picture are NOT gen Rolex parts - they are for illustration purposes only)

Gen bracelets can also be had for between $400 - $1,000, depending on which bracelet you decide to use (folded link, riveted, solid link).

A gen dial WILL make the watch, since that is what you spend most of your time looking at. For a 1680, I would expect to pay no less than several hundred dollars & on up from there (depending on condition & the condition of the seller's finances). But I would save yourself a huge wad of cash & have Ziggy relume your MBW dial, or try an NDTrading dial, which improves on some of the MBW's more obvious faults.

Unless you go with a gen movement, I would (& do) use the MBW datewheel. It works for me

1665wrist3008a1.jpg

(Although this is a SD, the MBW datewheel in the 1680 should be similar)

RobbiG,

Bear in mind a gen 1680 dial will not fit in a MBW/MBK case (it's a hair large) unless you have it trimmed down or the case has to be milled larger to accomodate the dial. The white print 1680 MBK dial is more accurate IMO than the 1680 red. I'm with Freddy, a vintage relume would be a lot less hassle.

Good luck on your project!

So if I get the sum of what most of you seem to be suggesting, if I simply start with an MBW watch, put a gen crystal crown and tube in it, trim the CG's, have the rep dial get a vintage relume I will be more than happy and the only other consideration would be whether to get a gen bracelet? How bad is the rep bracelet? Finally, what about scratching/aging the rest of the parts to match the dial?

So if I get the sum of what most of you seem to be suggesting, if I simply start with an MBW watch, put a gen crystal crown and tube in it, trim the CG's, have the rep dial get a vintage relume I will be more than happy and the only other consideration would be whether to get a gen bracelet? How bad is the rep bracelet? Finally, what about scratching/aging the rest of the parts to match the dial?

Honestly... I have a gen bracelet for my SD, and I haven't even put it on other than just to try it. I dont think it's enough better than the rep (after oil and aging) to warrant all the additional cost (it can be costly). Actually thinking of selling mine. Crown, tube, vintage lume or other dial agin, and crystal make all the difference. Then, scratch it, polish, repeat and you are good.