When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

192 Science Experiment

subzero1

I can't believe you guys in europe can't get oxiclean or it's equivalent--we can't get away from it in the states...the commercials, it's addition to every product imaginable. Probably your version is advertised like ours--they smear saome mustard on a shirt, dump it in the oxiclean tub, and...you know the rest.

As long as you don't take that a Tantalium rep of your wrist and pass it around for folks to judge the weight, I don't see how anyone could ever see the diff between the oxibath and tantallum. Subzero's rep looks exactly like the pics of Tantallum watches I've seen.

Archi - we DO have it here ;)

post-115-1180641649_thumb.png

I agree about adding an accurate Tanti-look to the Ti-case, but the gen bracelet is SS/Ti, hmmm :g:

SubZero - thought as much, was that after it had been 'secured' the normal way? I'm sure those pushers must leak :cry:

yep, pushers leak. Best bet is to disassemble the watch (not too hard), and remove the crystal and the inner bezel ring with the tachymeter on it. Then you can toss in the case and bracelet without issues. Afterwards just clean it off with some hot water, dish soap, and a toothbrush, let it dry for a couple of hours, then reassemble.

• 8 months later...

Make sure you read this part from the OP:

"...as you can see the tachymetre markings around the inner bezel came off. I didn't realize they were part of the case and not part of the dial, so when I put it in the chemical bath, the oxiclean stripped it right off. Now it's less accurate to the original..."

• 2 weeks later...
Please forgive a bump of this old thread, but I'm interested:

Who else other than the gentlemen who responded, has tried this Oxyclean thingie procedure? Difficulties, suggestions, etc.

(I am thinking of getting a 192!)

I have that watch...YEAH THAT WATCH!!...And I recently redid the oxyclean procedure on it, and did some mods to the cg, and bezel to take the shine away...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/fra...ti/IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5577.jpg

Edited by frankt

• 1 year later...

I'm not saying it will definiatly work but you could try useing somthing like Humbrol (spl?) Magic Mask. This is a liquid latex like product designed to mask uneven/dificult surfaces for painting on models. Aliquid latex mould compound would prob also work. Redskin or one of the other liquid insulation tape products are another possibility. Try them first on the inside of the caseback before imersing any of the sensitive bits. If you take out the MVT and reseal the case you would have a dual layer of protection. Hopfully one or both will work.

Great idea and well worth trying if the tachy problem can be fixed.

Col.

Picking up a 192 today, has anyone else tried the "OxiBath" while taking apart the crystal and bezel, so the marking don't disappear?

Thx

Not sure you quite understand the process. It's fairly simple...

1. You uncase the movement and pop out the crystal to avoid damage whilst treating the case.

2. Once you've removed movt and crystal, just remember to pop out the inner tachy bezel - these are the only 'markings' you need to protect.

3. Oxy-time!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Given the OP is 6 years old and the last post before yours is 3 years old.... I think you can guess where they may have gone ;)