When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Rolex purchase from Ebay

USMC8404

Good morning all,

I am having some remorse over an auction I won early this morning on ebay. Please take a look at the listing and tell me I am just being paranoid... All opinions are welcome. I know this sounds crazy but it only had one other bidder and sold for $3150 USD.

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=330281479000

Thanks guys,

Cheers

based on his feedback, looks like he's sold several watches before with satisfied buyers; i think you probably got yourself a good deal :victory:

keep us posted *crosses fingers*

deltatahoe

I know what you mean. He has a long history of great feed back. May be I just got lucky :)

Looks like a very good price, especially w/ b&p's. This is about the best 'wholesale' price you're going to get unless you're doing a private deal. The pics of the watch look fine- T<25 dial, 93150 bracelet- all fine for a 96 model. I just paid $3250 for a 83 16800, probably in nowhere as good a shape as your 12 year old watch and thought it was a decent deal.

I do figure a service when I'm buying used Rolexes like this- it's really a wholesale market on the bay.

Did you read the seller's footnote --

On Oct-29-08 at 19:35:04 PDT, seller added the following information:

Footnote:

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I just looked at the datestamp on the certificate: It's a mid 1997 model.

50/50 on this 1. Seller has good feedback, but nothing very recent & only a couple references to watches (kids watches, Swatches, reps????). Also, the lack of movement or clear close-ups would bother me. I think I would have requested the name of the TZ member he got the watch from so you could verify the story. Assuming the story checks out with a reliable TZ'r, I would have alot more confidence. But I guess you will find out soon enough.

Looks like a very good price, especially w/ b&p's. This is about the best 'wholesale' price you're going to get unless you're doing a private deal. The pics of the watch look fine- T<25 dial, 93150 bracelet- all fine for a 96 model. I just paid $3250 for a 83 16800, probably in nowhere as good a shape as your 12 year old watch and thought it was a decent deal.

I do figure a service when I'm buying used Rolexes like this- it's really a wholesale market on the bay.

Thanks, I am feeling a little better about it now. I guess a full service will cost around $500.00 or so? Not a bad deal all things considered.

Call me a skeptic.

This seller is:

1) one who decides to list all his/her items private (therefore I don't know their history of selling)

2) has some selling experience, so selling a high-dollar item should warrant some detailed macro shots to express condition.

If you are in the USA, then if I were you I'd take extra precautions for this transaction, especially an overseas one. Since he has papers and it appears that he just has the watch head in a picture, ask him to take a picture of the head and papers CLEARLY displaying serials on both.

At least the hang-tag matches his story that the watch was owned since 1996. T serials mean 1996-half of 1997.

Good thing PayPal now protects you for the full amount.

The watch in the pic is gen...I just bought and sold a T serial sub last month...bought it for $3775 and sold it for $3500 2 weeks later because I really wanted a 16600 and didn't have patience...I took a hit but considering the state of the economy right now, I was just lucky to sell it. You got the lowest price you'll find a 16610 at and the tritium dialed subs are becoming harder to find. Although I would advise you secure proper shipping and be cautious what you have the seller put on the customs forms. Apparently it's against the law to import a Rolex watch into the US via shipping from a private party or 'grey' dealer...customs may confiscate it...if they do let it through, be prepared to pay a hefty duty on that beauty. The only legal way to bring a Rolex into the states is via an AD or on your wrist. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's best to know ahead of time. I sold my T serial to a guy in France and he insisted I state the value on the customs forms at $100 and had me ship the watch separate from the boxes/papers. He took full responsibility for any seizures/duties...but everything shipped fine and he had it on his wrist in less than a week.

Here are some pics of my gen T serial 16610 when I had it:

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Call me a skeptic.

This seller is:

1) one who decides to list all his/her items private (therefore I don't know their history of selling)

2) has some selling experience, so selling a high-dollar item should warrant some detailed macro shots to express condition.

If you are in the USA, then if I were you I'd take extra precautions for this transaction, especially an overseas one. Since he has papers and it appears that he just has the watch head in a picture, ask him to take a picture of the head and papers CLEARLY displaying serials on both.

At least the hang-tag matches his story that the watch was owned since 1996. T serials mean 1996-half of 1997.

Good thing PayPal now protects you for the full amount.

My thoughts exactly! I asked for pics of between the lugs and papers. I do feel pretty good about it though. The guy probably needs the money more than the watch right now.

There are a few of us in Australia that could take a look at it before he ships it to you. I'm personally not in Sydney but I know there are a few platinum supporters that could take a look before it ships to verify it.

Looks like a great deal if it's all legit.

Please PM me with info...

Cheers

I think you SCORED!

Nice find, and make sure to post some pics when its on your wrist!

T

What's up Leather neck?! Long time no see. Are you doing the Merc thing? I am on terminal leave right now, retiring in December. Send me a PM if you get the chance. I am looking at overseas opertunities...

You got yourself a good deal, but I don't think it'll be too long before these models are (back) down around $3100-$3200. It wasn't THAT long ago when that was a fairly common price range on TZ.

Agree. I was thinking about that today too. But as the economy recovers so will the prices. Buy low and sell high... May be this is just the tip of the iceberg? Might be some great deals on watches over the short term. I wonder if the price of reps will follow the down curve. We can all hope. Gens as an investment, reps for fun!

Is it me or does the date mag look to far the the right? Is that normal for some of the subs?

No, I am sure it is just the angle. look at the shadow to the right. I am ok with the deal. Win some loose some. Worst case I lost a little money. I'm not sweating it. I think all will be ok in the end. Cheers.

Just don't mistake the short term irrational reactions to the Fed's bandaids as "recovery". We'll be in this mess for a long time.

Just a matter of perspective my friend. My time horizon is twenty years out for full retirement. A lot can happen in twenty years. No big deal either way really. If I didn't like the watch, I should not have purchased it in the first place. But I do like it and I did purchase it. No undoing that now. GTG either way.

Cheers mate...