When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot disgust me...

Chronus

I woke up yesterday and saw that Hublot had done this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7700407.stm

I hoped it was a mistake, but not so. I guess they are happy to support an entity that has made their history on the death of innocent lives and relies on the work of child labour to swell their coffers.

This is just disgusting... I urge anyone who has ever wanted a Hublot to get the rep instead and not line both these entities' greedy pockets by buying the genuine. Never thought I'd ever say that.

And they are even going to make a limited edition too to mark this money-obsessed partnership, that will ruin their brand.

If you want a genuine buy the real deal Audemars Piguet, not a rip-off brand who are happy to support all that is wrong with the world.

Hublot are forever tainted in my eyes now, and show they are all about money, no soul involved at all.

:thumbdown:

Couldn't agree more. I wonder if Ronaldo will get his future Hublots free of charge now!?

Hey Chronus...how about us being top of the Premirship.....lets hope we stay there :)

They'll make a bright pink ceramic one for C.Ronaldo...

Rio's version will add lots of bling and rival the "I AM RICH" leopard Daytona for gaudiness...

I think Paul Scholes will happily retire and leave this cr*p to the posers he'll leave behind (and I've always thought he's overrated, but have no problem with Scholes the person)

I'd love to see LFC stay top all season, but it'll have to be one game at a time. I remember that year Houllier took Liverpool to the top and it looked like there was a real chance and then a bunch of lacklustre performances and draws put paid to that.... Benitez is much better, but Chelsea are still formidable favourites.... but still, fingers crossed :)

Edited by Chronus

To the Americans that don't understand, Man Utd (aka Man Ure) are like the NY Yankees but a million times more hated. Arrogant does not even begin to describe them. To have built up their fan base on the death of their own players in the late 50s, and even kicking out surviving players from club-provided accomodation is sickening. To have exploited such a tragedy in teir marketing to further their brand is just sick. Compare to Torino who genuinely had the best team in Europe in the late 40s, already showing their potential winning multiple titles already as well as being the whole Italian national side. They all died in the tragic Superga air disaster and the team has never recovered (1 title since) leaving city rivals Juventus (backed by Fiat who also own Ferrari) to become the most successful team in Italian football history. (And Man Ure aren't even the most successful in England, let alone Europe!)

To the Americans that don't understand, Man Utd (aka Man Ure) are like the NY Yankees but a million times more hated.

That's not a fair correlation. People hate the yankees because they have a large bankroll and buys top talent while achieving less-than-stellar performances. Everyone likes to stick up for the underdog here in the states.

I do find it annoying when people get so wound up over footie. Try living in Glasgow and seeing them panning each other in over what team they support. In Larkhall, it's so bad they smash the traffic lights because they're green because that's the colour the opposing team wears.

So, please excuse me when I roll my eyes over team politics.

I do find it annoying when people get so wound up over footie. Try living in Glasgow and seeing them panning each other in over what team they support. In Larkhall, it's so bad they smash the traffic lights because they're green because that's the colour the opposing team wears.

So, please excuse me when I roll my eyes over team politics.

You're excused.

(I'm surprised you're still reading this ;))

Edited by Chronus

That's not a fair correlation. People hate the yankees because they have a large bankroll and buys top talent while achieving less-than-stellar performances. Everyone likes to stick up for the underdog here in the states.

They also spend huge amounts... they have the record transfers ... they spent close to GBP33 million to sign one forward this summer (and that figure doesn't include wages). They're talking about spending another GBP30 million on a guy they have leased at the moment, and he's just on the bench (ie. isn't playing that much... good player that he is). They have the most expensive forward line in history I think:

(all figures in GBP and do not include wages)

Berbatov - around 33 million

Rooney (looks like Shrek) - around 30 million

Tevez (looks like Muttley from Wacky Races) - potentially 30 million (if they complete the transfer)

C.Ronaldo - 13.75 million (he's been there a few years now and fulfilled his early potential)

Nani - around 20 million

bear in mind only 3 of them usually start as well...

not forgetting a couple of midfielders who rarely make the team that cost close to 20 million each (Carrick, and the usually injured Hargreaves).

and they have the gall to accuse Chelsea of buying the league....

Edited by Chronus

Hublot sponsor everything they can get their hands on. Every sporting event, venue, business... soon we will see Hublot tooth paste and Hublot cell phones I kid you not.

I'm hoping for Hublot trash bags... and Hublot bags for dog turds ;)

The economics of sports is totally corrupt and out of proportion to sports franchise's value to their communities.

I enjoy almost all sports, watch on television when I get the chance and attend in person a few times a year. But I also think the value of sports franchises and athletes is vastly overrated.

Here in Seattle our baseball franchise set an enviable record: the first baseball franchise with a payroll in excess of $100 million/year to lose more than 100 games in a season. Needless to say, both the general manager and manager (coach) were booted. Compare that to Tampa Bay, which has one of the lowest payrolls in American baseball (if not the lowest), and went to the World Series.

And then there is basketball, where even incompetent borderline criminals can "earn" $10 million a year and then claim they don't get enough "respect." Our basketball franchise just moved to Oklahoma City because Seattle wouldn't give in to owner extortion for a new arena. Oklahoma City didn't have those qualms. Apparently they don't have any greater needs, such as schools, poverty, and transportation improvements to pay for.

Like I said, I have nothing against sports. I know that there are many admirable athletes, and consider myself a moderately avid fan, but the whole system and scale of priorities turns me off.

Hublot sponsor everything they can get their hands on. Every sporting event, venue, business... soon we will see Hublot tooth paste and Hublot cell phones I kid you not.

Oh..... so maybe they could also sponsor me? :)

Where does one apply? :) :)

And BTW - who really cares about football?

Sorry but I just can't understand all the hype.

And just as someone already mentioned - the money they get paid for kicking the ball or trying to put it in the basket - ridiculous.

Hublot was founded in 1980 by Carlo Crocco

Yeah, they have loads of history and tradition in watch making behind them :rolleyes: . Sorry to the Hublot faithful, but I do not see the point in considering them a high end brand. Even though the HBB has grown somewhat on me (black polished ceramic versions especially), it seems as though there are more special editions of this watch appearing week by week, I myself am waiting for the "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" special edition to come out soon. :p

It may be "Soccer" the way you Yankee girls play the game, but the game is FOOTBALL.

Actually, it's Soccer, even in the UK.

Soccer is a bastardisation of the word Association in Association Football (as opposed to Rugby Football, the origin of American, Australian and Canadian football) which is the correct name for what we call Football in the UK.

Actually, it's Soccer, even in the UK.

Soccer is a bastardisation of the word Association in Association Football (as opposed to Rugby Football, the origin of American, Australian and Canadian football) which is the correct name for what we call Football in the UK.

My last word on this - or two words, or several.............

Absolute Bollox........

I have never been to watch association football or soccer in my life and I have been going for 40 years. Whilst your google history lesson may "educate" the ignorant, I would simply say that it's not known as soccer by the people that watch the game in England, which as far as I am aware is in the UK.

If I asked any of my mates to come and watch the "soccer" match, I would get hammered. Perhaps you have become slightly sicophantic?

Ask the Gers & Bhoys supporters how many soccer games they have been to. They're likely to use your [censored] as a bottle opener.

But I think that perhaps this is starting to digress from the thread's theme so it will be my last post on the matter.

A plague on Hublot and Man Ure. (Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham). :thumbdown: