When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The poor men's Daytona...

chefcook

Heyho,

what does one think when seeing a Tudor bracelet next to a serviced Valjoux 7750 and a set of old Daytona hands in the parts bin? Of course - build another watch!

A Tudor 79280p Chronograph was my choice. I found a nice Tiger dial on the bay thanks to a hint here in the WTB section, bought a second @ six Daytona from Eurotimez. The case was reworked to fit a gen crown and tube (currently a Rolex crown is fitted to the watch, but I am awaiting a gen Tudor triplock crown). I superlumed the hands to match the dial and glued a cyclops on the Daytona crystal. I am still searching for a crystal without the etched crown...

The bracelet's endlinks had to be bent slightly to fit the rep Daytona. Actually I think the bracelet is not a genuine Tudor band, but the clasp is (had it in my parts bin as spare).

I was lucky with the movement: It had the correct datewheel for this dial allready :)

16a5e15.jpg

othudv.jpg

fdd8pe.jpg

mt6u00.jpg

ogys0h.jpg

orkxg0.jpg

vpvo91.jpg

330w9qx.jpg

9uyfth.jpg

The watch wears perfectly comfortable on the Tudor bracelet. Actually much better than with the Daytona bracelet.

I think only the big second hand should be red with this type of dial, but I like it as it is.

But the watch still has two big flaws: Wrong caseback and missing "500" on the bezel. Maybe I'll find some good replacements one day..

I am happy :)

beautiful watch you got there chef..

Tudor has a beautiful, solid, stubtle look.

tudor.jpg

since you mentioned, i was snipping on a Bezel for my franken 16520 project few months ago. Just up until teh very last minute, I realised it is the tudor '500' bezel. i informed the seller, the seller refused to change from "Rolex Daytona Bezel" to Tudor.. :huh: in the pic, he even put a Rolex cloth under the bezel... but anyway few weeks after, i see this seller relisted his bezel again on ebay as Rolex daytona bezel.. <_< talk abt false advertiment

- Daytona for the case: 245 USD

- Gen Clasp: 102 USD

- Bracelet (eBay): 100 USD

- Case tube: 70 USD

- Dial (eBay): 110 USD

- Hands: 45 USD

- Cyclops and glue: 7 USD

- Swiss ETA: 559 USD (price at OFrei)

- Crown: 60 USD

So about 1300 USD... A franken like this is only possible for reasonable money if you have a lot of luck and someone gives you a wonderful crown for free (as said befor: Ubi is great :) ), you have a ETA 7750 movement in spare and someone needs the Daytona dial and movement and is willing to pay for it (sold here for about 60 bucks).

I invested about 400 USD + movement + hands + gen clasp + bracelet. If I did not have the parts allready I'd never built a franken like this. A gen can be bought for about 2000 USD second hand.

I had some luck and scored a 72980p with a burgundy dial, the dial on this is breath taking and oyster band for 1200 + change, have not verified if its a gen yet, will do when i get home later. T SWISS T Dial. No papers with the watch. Needs a good amount of polishing though. Nearly scored a 79390 for $900, but missed out.