When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Ulysse Nardin

RobbieG

These were all done with a Nikon pocket point and shoot camera which I use for a lot of watch stuff these days. The key is diffused natural light, a tripod and using the auto timer for no shutter shake. The camera was just set to the basic macro setting. In post I load them into PS and just do general level and color correction - mostly with auto settings. I do take some time cleaning up dust and prints with the clone stamp tool and I take great care to clean them very well and try and shoot them when they are fairly new. I have never used a lightbox in any watch pics I have done. I guess I just wanted to try something different than what everyone else was doing. One day I would like to try that route if I have the inclination, but in the meantime I always seem to find nice natural light so I guess I'm kind of drawn to the realism of that...

What Camera you using for those shots?

The Macro is awesome.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know what you mean Pho. The sex appeal is really high with this one for me too. Man I hope they rep them all because I'll take as many variations as I can get with this one. I'd gladly devote an entire new watchbox just for UN Marine watches. If it were realistically affordable to buy all the gens I would have done it already. They really are that nice. So let's keep our fingers crossed for these to be repped...

i just had an orgasm

• 2 months later...
Yes. Sure does. The finest bracelet and clasp I have ever seen on any watch at any price I should also mention...

That's fantastic news :tu: I was worried you would say it didn't have one, as I'm really tempted to get one (rep, of course :lol: ) when finances allow, but a lack of diver's extension would have been a deal breaker. The watch (as well as the Yacht-Master) really remind me of a watch I had in school, which I absolutely loved (same color scheme/layout) and I'm considering getting the 'big boys' version, but am mentally weighing up between the two... Pros and cons for both... It's not going to be an easy choice :lol:

The extension is a very positive and secure snap in version that uses the actually clasp snap ro secure it when the watch is closed. When open you can just pull the fold out, much like you would pull a deployant buckle apart. It is not an adjustable extention, but it is quite substantial. The old Rolex extentions are an old design and rarely make the bracelet wide enough to accomodate all but the thinnest warm water suits. It is a far more rugged design all around. The quailty of the hand finish work makes it feel very luxurious, but when you really understand the design you realize how "bulletproof" tough it really is.

The extension is a very positive and secure snap in version that uses the actually clasp snap ro secure it when the watch is closed. When open you can just pull the fold out, much like you would pull a deployant buckle apart. It is not an adjustable extention, but it is quite substantial. The old Rolex extentions are an old design and rarely make the bracelet wide enough to accomodate all but the thinnest warm water suits. It is a far more rugged design all around. The quailty of the hand finish work makes it feel very luxurious, but when you really understand the design you realize how "bulletproof" tough it really is.

Is the extension more like the extensions on the SMP bracelets? The thing which does concern me about the UN, is the 'bling factor' of the polished mid-links. I know, the YM has that too, but I can always swap the YM bracelet with a regular Sub bracelet, and I think that would take away that factor (which I didn't like on the gen GMTIIc I tried on) I think the things such really grab me about the UN, are the rhodium dial and bezel insert :tu:

Not yet. We are told it is in the pipeline, although we don't know which dial color/configurtion - special edition blue wave dial or standard - bracelet or rubber with Ti elements like the MMDC which has been done so far.

Thanks Robbie. I read that you said this earlier but that was a year ago so I wasn't sure if the status had changed. I just checked the bay and there are some for around 4gs NIB, and thats pretty cheap from what I was thinking it would be.

Yeah, I forget just what I paid for mine, but I bought it after retail had gone up to $7500. I think I paid just over 5K on bracelet. On rubber they will be five to seven hundred less or so. They have done a good job at limiting an already small production for these which is why there isn't a flood of used ones around. They always come up but the values hold well and they don't stick around long. Don't forget, annual production is at about 15K total last year for them, down from 22K or so at the peak. And there have been barely 7000 MMD's made in total of them in 6 years. Less than 1000 pieces a year. Like a limited edition that isn't limited...

You could always brush the links. It is really easy to do. You just have to take your time to make sure the strokes are straight...

That'd certainly be a possibility... I guess I'll see what's available when I've got the spare cash and see what takes my fancy :)

The last thing we need around here is more of me. Just ask my fanclub. Jake is the president. But seriously, which dial was the 1:1? I wonder if it is the Blue Wave Hont supposedly had or something else - black maybe? One thing is for sure, Phoband and I were joking at the GTG that like 3 different dealers all claimed to have purchased and contributed the alpha 1:1 for this rep. Now we will see who was telling the truth. Something tells me it won't be surprising...

You have no idea. I urge everyone to get to an AD just to check out the bracelet on an MMD. The problem is the rubber is more in right now and a bigger seller and cheaper so AD's tend to have more of those around. But if you can find a stocked bracelet it will blow your mind. Liek nothing you have ever seen quality wise.

The multi link Dual Time bracelets are pure luxury too. Personally, I don't care for the way the watch looks compared to on leather but again, mind blowing. Even more comfortable and delicate as opposed to beefy, but maybe even more amazing from a finishe perspective. All polished on both sides and literally feels like silk on the wrist. Imagine a modern DJ Jubilee bracelet. The new style with the polished center links and Rolesor clasp. Liek that kind of feel but just beyond the beyond of nice.

If they do a bracelet (which it is hard to say if they will really as the rubber is already done perfectly), it will be interesting to see how good they rep it and if they nail the feel. Maybe someone will send me one for review or something as I won't be buying one obviously - or maybe I will to give away or something. Anyway, I'm with you guys. I can't wait. I'm still waiting for my RWG Ulysse Nardin official ambassador desk plaque but it didn't come yet - hint, hint...

BTW, my UN guide for the forum is almost done guys. It is a general historical and technical primer for the brand in the hopes that it will generate more interest in the brand and as such more reps for you guys due to the factories and dealers seeing ravenous interest. I'm sure you all noticed by now, but I am trying really hard with alot of posts to try and make the brand a going concern so you can have more reps of it due to the factories seeing the money sitting there...

Do you mean rhodium? If so the boards will be flooded with RobbieG clones!

Sadly, he doesn't have that one, just asked. :( The only one that he has is a white dial with black bezel. Exact same model as the one that RobbieG generally posted, just a different variant.

White dial, black bezel? I'm confused. There is no such MMD. Does he mean silver dial (which is very light) and steel bezel?

263-33-7_main.jpg

263-33-3_main.jpg

Other than those, there are the new 45MM Maxi Divers which just came out - one of which has a silver dial and a partially black bezel...

They are polished titanium cases and have a waved themed dial and strap. Not really my favorite, but in person they are really nice. Light as a feather but they wear VERY big. To some they may like that, but trust me, I have a 7.5" wrist and the 42.7MM of the original MMD wears like 44MM due to the thin bezel relative to dial size and layout. It is as big as you would want. In fact the original 40MM MD wears about like 41.5MM for the same reason. Anyway, I suppose this is as good a place as any to post the new 45MM line. Two in polished ti. Two in two tone polished Ti and rose gold. Each with a silver and a black dial version. Note that the all Ti versions both have the partial orange bezel...

45mmsilver.jpg

45mmblack.jpg

45mmsilverrg.jpg

45mmblackrg.jpg

...and a couple more views from the flank and rear. The latter showing the all new ruthenium rotor with a cool steely grey color to pick up the Ti elements. Personally though I think the designs would have been better if they used polished Ti elements in the strap to match the case. They don't really go and I never understood those on the original MMD either. The gold elements work on the gold watch. The WG elements worked on that special edition. But the Ti goes with nothing. They should have just done SS elements on the steel watches so it matches the brushed elements of the case. On these ones it is closer but the polished Ti is a different color. There is no need to save that weight by using Ti there. It is inside the clasp elements to keep them from bending and that is all it needs.

I also feel the wave pattern in both the strap and the dial is overkill. It will grow on you like all their wackier stuff does but I still think one or the other is the move. I feel the same way about the predecesor to these which are the latest Blue Wave limiteds.

Just my .02 on those items.

45mmsilverside.jpg

45mmsilverback.jpg

Robbie, I'm looking at picking this up. http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...23524&rid=0

Made him an offer and am waiting to hear back. From his pictures, it looks to be in great condition and comes with the bracelet!

Though who knows when the pictures were taken. He claims its basically mint. Only issue is he's based in the UK, im in Australia.

un73-1.jpg

un86.jpg

un76.jpg

un22.jpg

Edited by elisiX