When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Ulysse Nardin

RobbieG

Nice, although I'll be interested to see the case number. That is the first one I've seen with a tinted AR coating. Mine is totally colorless but on my Dual Time it is tinted (which I prefer on black dialed watches actually). Looks to be in perfect condition and I remember seeing these pics on the UN forum at TZ as well. And yes, the lume is amazing on these as is the choice for the rhodium dial. Yachtmaster on steriods, which is why I got mine. Another member has a burgundy dialed version (see Socal GTG thread) which is another fav of mine too. Those are the two best dials IMO - grey and burgundy. Best dive watch for the money hands down IMO in terms of overall quality.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you curious about the case number to see if they are tinting the later models? (blue hue in AR)

Reason I say that and dont think you suspect fake is because I dont believe there is a rep of this model.

I've sussed out the sellers previous posts on many forums. He's based in the UK and seems to be straight up.

Still waiting to hear back from him though. He's asking $4250, i've made an offer. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help Robbie.

The tint is quite strong in this picture. I wonder why they would start tinting them (or is it the other way round?)

un43-1.jpg

Edited by elisiX

Oh no, not at all. The watch is 100% genuine and I will vouch for that 110%. The seller is known on TZ as well as very solid.

I asked about the case number because Nardin has used two different coatings depending on the watch and timeframe. Both my MMD and my Dual Time date to around spring of last year. My MMD has the totally colorless AR and the Dual Time has the same coating as this watch.

Nardin claims to have liked how the tinted version made black dials pop more at least for a while and they were supposedly using that coating on dark dials and the colorless on light dials. But then I have also seen DT's with colorless and now MMD's with tinted coatings now as well.

So I'm trying to see if I can get a timeline together as to what coatings were used and when. I personally think they should just do the colorless all around only because it is a bit than the tinted coating. But as I said, the tinted coating looks really great on the jet black dials like on the DT.

EDIT: You know now that I look at your proposed MMD I'm wondering if that tint is even the same as on my Dual Time. It seems lighter and more blue and mine seems darker and more purple, but there are just so many lighting variables so it is tough to say. You might also PM member jake48. Apparently he has a burgundy dialed MMD and you might ask him which coating he has and what his watch dates. I'd do it myself but he has me blocked because he hates me...

You can just see the color on these pics of the DT:

UNgmt6r.jpg

UNgmt8.jpg

But note how the MMD coating is colorless:

UNwrista.jpg

UNwrist3.jpg

Yeah I can see it now. WOW.. it is different isn't it?!... now it looks to me like REP AR!.. :D lol j/k.

Still cannot make up my mind. Were talking around the $4150 price at the moment however I've seen one on Bernard Watch Co for $3795 claiming to be like new.

The pictures he has on that site look to be a white dial though he claims its silver. I've seen another picture online of a white dial but they referred to it as silver also.

Is there White, Silver & Rhodium or just White (known as Silver) and Rhodium?

Received this info earlier.. seems to make sense.

In the current collection, I'm looking at the catalogue now, there is a silver and a grey face.

The silver face looks pretty white, but is described as a 'silverized dial'.

The silver/white number is 263-33-7 and the grey is 263-33-7/91

The watch in question is the rhodium dial. UN calls that grey, but it is a rhodium plate on that one. The other color is silver which looks almost white in some light. As for pricing you need to realize that these hold value very well. 3700-4100 pr whatever is really splitting hairs. There aren't that many that come up for sale because there aren't that many that have been made. There have only been 7000 of them made since they were launched in 2004! Less than 1000 pieces a year so almost like a special edition in a sense. Look at it this way, even with the deepest discount you could find the watch is going to be $5500 at the lowest new. Anywhere around four grand give or take is a great price. I've said it a million times but these watches are like Vacheron's or Breguet's 10K+ sports lines in terms of fit and finish and overall quality. I'm not exagerating a bit.

So if you are buying for value as I do you have to know that four grand for simply the finest dive style watch money can buy pretty much is a steal. The only reason a Breguet Marine or Vacheron Overseas are more is beause of the name and the unfounded perception that a JLC ebauche is somehow superior to the 2892. It simply isn't. Does VC or Breguet finish the movements better? Maybe a hair in the case of these watches but it is pretty marginal. Nardin collectors have often said that the day UN modifies their manufacture Caliber 160 and offers the 1846 line with those instead the watch price will jump to ten grand. It is only the perception of ETA being somehow inferior that keeps the price of these so low. The movements are immaculately finished with lots of hand touches. You have never seen ETA ebauche look like these. And the 2892 is an awesome movement. Get it man. You won't regret it.

Yeah I can see it now. WOW.. it is different isn't it?!... now it looks to me like REP AR!.. :D lol j/k.

Still cannot make up my mind. Were talking around the $4150 price at the moment however I've seen one on Bernard Watch Co for $3795 claiming to be like new.

The pictures he has on that site look to be a white dial though he claims its silver. I've seen another picture online of a white dial but they referred to it as silver also.

Is there White, Silver & Rhodium or just White (known as Silver) and Rhodium?

Sorry if I didn't make this clear. There are two colors: grey and silver only- no white or rhodium. The grey is a darker pure rhodium plated finish. My watch is grey and so is yours. He is mistaken. His is not silver. The watch you posted here is grey for sure. The color UN calls silver looks nearly white in most pics but it is a very light silver color actually. This is what the lighter silver looks like. As you can see it looks really white. You can only see it is silver up close at at and angle really. I thought the dial was white for like 6 years even before the MMD when it was on the 40MM original MD:

mmdsilver.jpg

mmdsilver2.jpg

It will be fine, but if I were you to avoid any duty issues you might want to have the seller make you a dummy repair receipt. Especially since the watch looks so new. Or you might ask him to enclose his receipt if he bought it new from an AD so you can prove it isn't a fake and/or you aren't the first owner subject to tax? Just work it out with him as he is a reputable and reasonable man.

Thanks for the further advice mate. He is the original owner and has had the watch for 2.5 years so I can ask him about the receipt.

Just found out this info this morning about how long he's had it. Not sure if that helps you to determine when the AR was changed from/to being colorless.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks Robbie.. Just waiting on a cheque to clear and this should be mine. :)

My only concern is it being shipped from the UK to Australia. I wish I could pick it up. lol.

@ elisiX,

so did u get the watch in the end or not? If not why did u decide against... im asking as i can see its been sold.

Laz