When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm a Noob, Visiting China

I travel to China from time to time and each trip I spend a day or two in either Shanghi or Beijing. I like to go to the copy markets and hunt for good deals. I've picked up a half a dozen watches most before I knew what were the popular reps. I don't have a clue yet on how to tell what is a good movement. I always tell them at the copy markets that I want highest quality watches. I have a green bezel SUB which I love. I've also been taken such as my "quartz" Sea Master. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go back to the Shanghi market in about two weeks. Sometimes they have to remove fake bottoms in drawers to get to the higher quality watches. Is this a waste of time and money or might I find a great deal once I know what to look for? So far the most I've paid is $30 for a watch.

• 2 months later...

For high quality reps you better stick to the board dealers. Most of the watches you buy in the market are way inferior. You can get high quality reps in a few places, but you mights pay more than here. In Beijing there are a few sellers on the top floor of the Silk Market, and some of the sellers in Hong Qiao market have offices in the Hutong behind the market where they have better quality. From experience it's not worth the effort. You can get somehting more decent in Guangzhou, especially for parts. But you better know what you are looking for.

Thank you very much for the replays guys.

I have read a lot before i made my first post and i'm trying to figure out a couple of things.

One of them is, how does the dealers/collectors here get a hold of these watches? They do get them from china, right?

Do they get them directly from "their" favourit factory? Do they themselves order reps according to their specifications?

Anyone knows how it works?

Raptor

If you can get to Guangzhou you are made! PM me and I can set you up with a dealer in the markets there who will take care of you. Quite a few folk here have done very well on trips to GZ. $30 is about right for a good rep in CN.

Luthier? This is your department bro. Where are you?

Col.

Nobody answered the 2 questions that were seeming important: Don't all the dealers just get them from these markets anyway or do they get them from their favorite factory? Also, are these watches people are paying like 100$USD for and stuff really just $30 watches from the markets?

Nobody answered the 2 questions that were seeming important: Don't all the dealers just get them from these markets anyway or do they get them from their favorite factory?

Don't know about the mark up...but the dealers here are working directly with the factories making the watches. Other online vendors are doing the same. There are many factories...some making junk...some making the good stuff. The thing with the dealers here is that you are:

1. Going to get the good stuff
  2. You are going to get a watch (as opposed to a scam site)
  3. If /When a problem arises they will address wrong shipment issues, major QA issues, etc

A handful of the dealers here actually commission items directly from the vendors and/or buy gen watches for them to copy.

Thanks Toad.

Your answer answers my second question which was how much they buy the replicas for. It really doesn't matter since dealers have more or less monopoly on good stuff (and other reasons). :)

And the price is probably the manufacturing price.

This is very interesting.

Raptor

For high quality reps you better stick to the board dealers. Most of the watches you buy in the market are way inferior. You can get high quality reps in a few places, but you mights pay more than here. In Beijing there are a few sellers on the top floor of the Silk Market, and some of the sellers in Hong Qiao market have offices in the Hutong behind the market where they have better quality. From experience it's not worth the effort. You can get somehting more decent in Guangzhou, especially for parts. But you better know what you are looking for.

Ok, I'm a complete noob, I admit it. So, who are the "board dealers" and where do they list what they have for sale?

Nobody answered the 2 questions that were seeming important: Don't all the dealers just get them from these markets anyway or do they get them from their favorite factory? Also, are these watches people are paying like 100$USD for and stuff really just $30 watches from the markets?

Relax, dont get your spidy drawers in a bunch ;)

The "Super Reps" available from the Board Dealers are commissioned pieces from a handful of factories. Quite often the genuine watch has been used for the replication. You will have a hard time finding these models in the GZ market. Other run-of-the-mill reps especially with Asian movements can be found cheaper in GZ. But as there is at least 95% crap for sale there you really need to know what you are looking for. Problem is most of the sellers don't know too much about their products either, so it turns into a very frustrating experience. Especially since mostly generic models are on display and they have to get every rep from some distant warehouse....

lol Thanks for the responses toad and dropbear.

I guess the other thing you're paying for is the ease of access lol If I lived in New york I could go down the Canal Street every other week and buy up a bunch but I don't and I don't live in GZ or CN or anything so I guess that's the other thing accessibility. And like you guys said in most cases they're dealing strictly with their own factory of choice.

Edited by spider87