When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asia 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement 28800bph

bvc

Hey guys, can anyone help? I am using search just wondered if you can help me on my way.

Took my 6.75 to my watchsmith (1st face to face meeting) spoke on the phone and he has no probs working from home. went to his house and he works from a unit in his back garden. got a horologist plaque on his front wall and hundreds of clocks and watches in his unit. so he seems to know his stuff. On the phone i said ive got a rep breit with a 7750. could you work on it and replace the datewheels? he said yes bring it in.

took it in today, he opens it has a look with his mag glass and says sorry mate its not a 7750 its a copy of a 7750 and not a very good one at that. To replace the datewheel would be risky and quite involved. not something he would want to do.

So do our reps have rep movements? or is this movement a cheap version of what should be in there? its advertised as a valjoux asian 7750. Is my watchsmith being silly am I being silly or have I got a dodgy movement?

sorry if this sound stupid but all the stuff on 7750s is a bit confusing am I just not getting the obvious? that our watches have replica 7750s in them.

bvc.

Yup, we seem to have a copy of the 7750.

A gen 7750 would double the price of the watch.

I'm looking for a friendly local place (in the UK) to get work on mine done.

I've got details of a place in Wokingham who is happy to work on watches, but I've moved away from that area and am looking for another watchsmith.

You got an Asian 7750 thats not a Valljoux 7750,thats it..

So most Watchsmith don't want to work on the Asian movement clones....

Thanks Tribal, I am thinking ive got an asian 7750. (copy) but the watch i bought on the site was advertised as the more expensive valljoux? have i been done?

Yup .. Have a look at at the following two watches (as an example).

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1243

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1029

Note the main diff is Swiss/Asia 7750, then look at the price diff.

The Swiss is what the Gen's use, the Asia is the cheap copy.

The problem is that ETA, who makes the Swiss one, has opened a factory in China .. so are those Swiss or Asia movements?

Have a browse in the The Zigmeister section, there are a few detailed posts about the 7750. Loads more details than I could ever remember.

I have enough problem pronouncing 'valjoux'.

Yup .. Have a look at at the following two watches (as an example).

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1243

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1029

Note the main diff is Swiss/Asia 7750, then look at the price diff.

The Swiss is what the Gen's use, the Asia is the cheap copy.

The problem is that ETA, who makes the Swiss one, has opened a factory in China .. so are those Swiss or Asia movements?

Have a browse in the The Zigmeister section, there are a few detailed posts about the 7750. Loads more details than I could ever remember.

I have enough problem pronouncing 'valjoux'.

wow. thanks for the info bibbs. the more i find out the less i realize i know. surely better to buy 4 asian of the same watch than one swiss? load of parts then eh? ok so now i gotta find a smith that will work on asian movements.

i think there's varying degrees of quality form the same manufacture in different locations. such as how Panasonic, an awesome brand, also has "Quasar" which are lower priced products of similar function.

the other thing to note is ETAs design patent on their movements is very old and is now public domain. with them haulting production of ebauches to third parties, other companies have quite literally copied their movement designs and produced them with either excellent quality or sub standard materials in order to sell to the demand ETA has now created. I have a movement stamped ETA , but NOT swiss stamped on he rotor. Could this have come from their factory in the Philipines? I'll never really know.

In our hobby some basic repairs and mods are a good thing to grasp a comprehension of, cause more often than not you'll find yourself in your current situation where you want something done, but cant find many people to work on it.

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

wow. thanks for the info bibbs. the more i find out the less i realize i know. surely better to buy 4 asian of the same watch than one swiss? load of parts then eh? ok so now i gotta find a smith that will work on asian movements.

I'm all new to this too ;)

I did a bit of searching and reading before ordering two Breitlings with the Asian 7750.

I think it's the equivalent of buying 4 Fiats instead of one Ferrari .. well, almost, now that Ferrari's are built better and less fragile. But you get my gist.

I think finding a local watchsmith, who is happy to work on reps is the first step. Then service the movements, and then think "feck it" as it's only a cheap watch at the end of the day.

I service and repair Asian 7750's all the time, and have done so for close to 4 years now.

The quality is there, otherwise I would not waste my time, and my customer's money servicing a poor quality movement that would only have problems.

Replacing the DD wheels is very simple and without any risk, heck I tear Asian 7750's down to the last screw and spring all the time, and amazingly once I put them back together, they work better than new :)

In other words, find another watchsmith. He's clearly not looking beyond the actual job at hand.

Very few reps have or have had Swiss ETA 7750's in them, the cost is much too high. But don't be discouraged by your Asian model, it's a great movement and should give you years of service with regular servicing. Even the Swiss 7750 needs regular servicing to keep running.

RG

Hi bibbs, just checked the site and all the bentleys are advertised as asia 7750 valjoux chrono. so this means copy valjoux then? a little misleading huh.

No, nothing misleading at all. The genuine ETA 7750 is made in Switzerland, yours is made in China, which means it is not a genuine ETA movement - it is a clone (copy). The Asian-made clone is a very good clone, but it is still a clone. As has already been suggested, there is a wealth of detailed information on these movements - both Swiss & Asian - in Ziggy's section as well as a number of other RWG forums.

I think your datewheel may have had an overlay glued onto it & that may have been what your watchmaker balked at dealing with. And this is another good example of why it is important to phone a watchmaker to see if he is willing to work on a replica watch (with a replica movement) before you make the trip.

I service and repair Asian 7750's all the time, and have done so for close to 4 years now.

The quality is there, otherwise I would not waste my time, and my customer's money servicing a poor quality movement that would only have problems.

Replacing the DD wheels is very simple and without any risk, heck I tear Asian 7750's down to the last screw and spring all the time, and amazingly once I put them back together, they work better than new :)

In other words, find another watchsmith. He's clearly not looking beyond the actual job at hand.

Very few reps have or have had Swiss ETA 7750's in them, the cost is much too high. But don't be discouraged by your Asian model, it's a great movement and should give you years of service with regular servicing. Even the Swiss 7750 needs regular servicing to keep running.

RG

Wow, I am not worthy. :D

thanks The Zigmeister. I wish you lived in the uk.

Hope you find someone who can help you out.

I wish I lived in France...or the UK and could do the chunnel trip, but England seems to be too crowded these days.

RG

Hey buddy. I live in the country, fields, cows and pigs as far as you can see. 1 hour from the chunnel. come on over, make sure you bring your watches and tools.

If you have bought this then it better be e gen swiss for that price (since you can get a gen val 7750 for a much less price than this).

EDIT: I just realised that you have posted these two links as an example.

Any desent watchsmith can tell the diff between a gen Val 7750 and an asia copy.

Asian copies of 7750 if not properly serviced tend to die in short time. Most of them they come totaly dry.

Usually watchsmith do not work on reps.

That's another (additional) problem with the reps.

No, nothing misleading at all. The genuine ETA 7750 is made in Switzerland, yours is made in China, which means it is not a genuine ETA movement - it is a clone (copy). The Asian-made clone is a very good clone, but it is still a clone. As has already been suggested, there is a wealth of detailed information on these movements - both Swiss & Asian - in The Zigmeister's section as well as a number of other RWG forums.

I think your datewheel may have had an overlay glued onto it & that may have been what your watchmaker balked at dealing with. And this is another good example of why it is important to phone a watchmaker to see if he is willing to work on a replica watch (with a replica movement) before you make the trip.

mmm! if you had heard my ex watchsmith you would believe chinese 7750's are the work of the devil. Not sure if they can be called clones of the swiss eta. he said the quality was nowhere near what the gen 7750 is. he said "very cheap copy, rough, inferior parts, nasty to work with, not worth servicing or fixing cause they are only 30 or 40 quid if you know where to find them" he charges 20 quid an hour for his work. said there is no point in wasting my money servicing or fixing them. as a result I thought i would ask josh if he could sell me a couple of movements in case i need them. sadly they are "strictly not for sale"

tried searching but couldn't find what movement is used in the 6.75 or if i can buy them anywhere.

i am happy with my "chinese clone" especially taking into consideration the price of the gen 7750, so dont shoot the messenger :D its just a lot more difficult than I though it would be to find a watchsmith that will work on the clone. the first two said no problem when i rang and said i have a 7750 that needs work, then when they saw it was chinese they booted me out the door!!!!

brad.

mmm! if you had heard my ex watchsmith you would believe chinese 7750's are the work of the devil. Not sure if they can be called clones of the swiss eta. he said the quality was nowhere near what the gen 7750 is. he said "very cheap copy, rough, inferior parts, nasty to work with, not worth servicing or fixing cause they are only 30 or 40 quid if you know where to find them" he charges 20 quid an hour for his work. said there is no point in wasting my money servicing or fixing them. as a result I thought i would ask josh if he could sell me a couple of movements in case i need them. sadly they are "strictly not for sale"

tried searching but couldn't find what movement is used in the 6.75 or if i can buy them anywhere.

i am happy with my "chinese clone" especially taking into consideration the price of the gen 7750, so dont shoot the messenger :D its just a lot more difficult than I though it would be to find a watchsmith that will work on the clone. the first two said no problem when i rang and said i have a 7750 that needs work, then when they saw it was chinese they booted me out the door!!!!

brad.

Maybe he wants to work on the clone if you tell hem that you will take all risk. To him he will be hesitant to work on it, because he does not know this clone movement (is used to Swiss ETA 7750) and he does not have spare parts for the clone is something is broken. And he charges 20 (dollar/euro) per hour, which is a good deal imo. Servicing this movement takes in between 5-8hours. The watch smiths on this forum also charges a reasonable price, maybe almost same. Remember, you get what you paid for. If you service this 'cheap' movement it will be a whole lot more reliable and accurate, maybe almost similar as the Swiss ETA 7750.

I let all my asian movements service.

And most of this info you asked is already clear and readily available in this forum. The search button may be a good friend. :)

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Peter at IwatchStation sells the Asian 7750 movement. Email him.

• 2 weeks later...