When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mini in a Mini

RobbieG

Two of my favorite toys at the moment. My favorite car at the moment is my John Cooper Works Mini S, and my favorite watch at the moment is my Rhodium Roman Datejust. The Cooper isn't my hottest car and the DJ isn't my hottest watch, but both are very good at contributing to the philosophy of life that I'm trying to embrace more and more lately. Less is more...

DJmini1.jpg

Yeah, mine is a little rocket ship. It has over 200 horses and as such does well on two wheels. Hahaha. If it was rear wheel drive I would never have another car. Seriously. But the torque steer is just too fatiguing for longer drives. Comfort isn't an issue. It is plenty big inside and the seats/leather/appointments are BMW through and through. Unfortunately the more you load up the motor the more fun it gets but the torque steer just gets worse. But for me I just use it to blast around the office hood and go to the store or whatever. I have driven it essentially every day since I got it last October and I only have 3K miles on it. That goes to show you how small my range is locally. But it really is the perfect little runabout. And it turns more heads/gets more attention at gas stations, etc than my 996 which I know is hard to believe but nonetheless true. And here it is outside my office...

Mini1.jpg

2 Great items. The Cooper S is a fun car to drive...amazing for sure.

Yeah, mine is a little rocket ship. It has over 200 horses and as such does well on two wheels. Hahaha. If it was rear wheel drive I would never have another car. Seriously. But the torque steer is just too fatiguing for longer drives. Comfort isn't an issue. It is plenty big inside and the seats/leather/appointments are BMW through and through. Unfortunately the more you load up the motor the more fun it gets but the torque steer just gets worse. But for me I just use it to blast around the office hood and go to the store or whatever. I have driven it essentially every day since I got it last October and I only have 3K miles on it. That goes to show you how small my range is locally. But it really is the perfect little runabout. And it turns more heads/gets more attention at gas stations, etc than my 996 which I know is hard to believe but nonetheless true. And here it is outside my office...

Mini1.jpg

Nice ride. Impeccable taste.

Wow, Robbie...this is just too coincidental.

I'm toying with trading in my 3 yr. old Scion xA for another car, I need a very small car so I can street park it in my neighborhood (I live in a VERY congested part of Chicago).

I hate the seating position of the Scion - seat too tall & short, no thigh support, and not enough room to stretch my legs out a bit. After 1/2 hr. driving my hips, knees and legs start to ache. After driving 1 hour, I have a hard time walking for a few minutes after exiting my car.

So, here's the coincidental part - I went to a family gathering on Sunday afternoon, I'm talking to my brother about getting a new car, how I went and tried out the Honda Fit (not enough leg room), and the Nissan Versa (boring/ugly).

He says "I know you, you are like me - you want a fun car to drive, a car you'll be excited about for a long time, don't try to talk yourself into an econo-box. Do me a favor and go check out the Mini Cooper. When we went to the auto show, I got in one and loved it."

So, I think your post is an omen, and I'm going to go check out the Mini before Thanksgiving.

Well I wouldn't know but I would think they would do good in snow given the front wheel drive. Oh well no matter for me being that I am genuinely afraid of snow and temperatures in general under 60F I'm so tropically blooded.B)

And it is funny you should mention it because I happen to live in South Florida which I sometimes wonder if it is it's own country. Moreover, it is so flat that the whole area is pretty much a dead tarmac if I ever saw one...:D

Fun cars if you live in a country that doesn't have snow or a road surface other than perfectly smooth tarmac.

Yeah I'm sure you will love it - especially if you are already a BMW loyalist as I have been for some time. I know some people hate them but I have had four BMW's before the Cooper - two 3's, a 5 and even the supposedly dreaded 7, which gets terrible reviews, and I had nothing but perfection out of all of them.

Untitled-10-1.jpg

Mini4.jpg

That said, another big bonus about the Mini's is the price. I literally felt like I had to try to spend over $30K on mine customizing it exactly as I wanted it. You really can get a lot of car for $25-35K or so which isn't easy to do these days. It seems like you can easily do that with almost any car and with zero cool factor in the majority of them. I mean speaking of BMW's, a loaded 5 series is pushing what, $60K now? A lot of bang for the buck with the Mini's. Good on gas too - despite the fact that I wind on it all the time...

Wow, Robbie...this is just too coincidental.

I'm toying with trading in my 3 yr. old Scion xA for another car, I need a very small car so I can street park it in my neighborhood (I live in a VERY congested part of Chicago).

I hate the seating position of the Scion - seat too tall & short, no thigh support, and not enough room to stretch my legs out a bit. After 1/2 hr. driving my hips, knees and legs start to ache. After driving 1 hour, I have a hard time walking for a few minutes after exiting my car.

So, here's the coincidental part - I went to a family gathering on Sunday afternoon, I'm talking to my brother about getting a new car, how I went and tried out the Honda Fit (not enough leg room), and the Nissan Versa (boring/ugly).

He says "I know you, you are like me - you want a fun car to drive, a car you'll be excited about for a long time, don't try to talk yourself into an econo-box. Do me a favor and go check out the Mini Cooper. When we went to the auto show, I got in one and loved it."

So, I think your post is an omen, and I'm going to go check out the Mini before Thanksgiving.

I really don't get the Bini (BMW Mini).

I've driven a few over the years and they are expensive for what they are. Like the new Fiat 500 and VW Beetle.

There are 5 in the office carpark, out of 50ish cars. All driven by women.

Very popular with the hairdresser, estate agent, recruitment consultant set in the UK.

But then I know european cars are popular in the states, to stand out from the crowd.

Edited by Bibbs

Well I have always said I wanted to be more in touch with my feminine side. Maybe I'll leave the fund business behind and become a hair dresser. At least I know I have a head start by having the right car...

Funny you should say that about value as I think just the opposite. To each his own. The amount of enthusiast level car you get for the money is unseen anywhere. And that is coming from a true car enthusiast with a 911 Turbo in the other garage. I'll even go out on a limb and say the interior fit & finish of the Mini is greeater than or at least equal to that of the Porsche - and for roughly 1/5th the price at $30K.

Everything is relative as they say. You may be missing the big picture as my evaluation is not focused on what is the best all around car or what it competes with. As a toy it stands on its own escaping all practicality. I guess I would think the Mini not a good value too if I were benchmarking it against Fiats and VW's. Final use is an issue too as I said in other words. I'm sure that the Bmini is not the best all around car or anything, but I can't be the judge of that given I just use it as a runabout and a toy really. All I know is it puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. And that is what anything I should buy is all about for me these days. Practical or hip is rarely fun in my experience...

European watches are also popular here in the States, but not all of us wear them to stand out from the crowd. Some of us just like nice things and we don't care who is looking or what their opinions are. That certainly is the case for me no matter what car I'm driving or watch I'm wearing. See, and there is now new found evidence of this. I didn't know until now that I was driving a ladies car and yet I go on somehow unaffected even though now there is this very real threat to my manly sexuality. :D

I really don't get the Bini (BMW Mini).

I've driven a few over the years and they are expensive for what they are. Like the new Fiat 500 and VW Beetle.

There are 5 in the office carpark, out of 50ish cars. All driven by women.

Very popular with the hairdresser, estate agent, recruitment consultant set in the UK.

But then I know european cars are popular in the states, to stand out from the crowd.

Yeah Chef I do. My terminology was bad really. Sorry. I guess I should call it torque-pull or something. I don't love how the front end pulls when pounding on it and not steering hard is what I mean when I say that. The torque always wants to pull you to one side right when the turbos are fully spooled. And you are right, the turning torque is fine with the LS. I drove a car without it and it is murder! I'm just a guy who has owned a lot of RWD sports cars and so I think any FWD stuff just seems magnified to me. I'm most used to the way a 911 feels and so I guess anything with the motor and drive train in the front of the car will always feel funny in comparison.

Robbie, do you have a limited slip diff in your Mini?

I've bought my Mini Cooper S with limited slip diff and with now around 230 hp I have no problems with torque steer at all. Bends must be very tight to make torque steer noticeable...

Glad you didn't take it in the wrong way. :)

They are good cars, I've seen quite a few at the Nurburgring when I've been hammering around.

Shame the early cars had louder PAS pumps than superchargers.

It's just funny how the image is different from the US to the UK.

Like the BMW 3 Series. In the UK it has a certain image associated with it, a stigma if you will.

But in the US, the BMW is adored.

Oh no I didn't take it the wrong way my friend. Always looking for an opportunity at self-deprication and I couldn't resist with the female/hairdresser line.

And I would agree that Euros must think our taste in cars here in the US to be funny given that what we hold dear here is just standard stuff in many countries over there. The first time I drove the AB I was amazed not just at how fast everyone was going, but just how common what are held as supercars in the US are in Germany. It seems like everyone and his whole family has a 911 over there, while here people gawk whenever they see one.

And regarding BMW, I have many friends who think they are crap. Maybe they are and I have just gotten lucky over the years. Meanwhile I have own two Benz' and have had nothing but fits with both of them. Go figure...

Glad you didn't take it in the wrong way. :)

They are good cars, I've seen quite a few at the Nurburgring when I've been hammering around.

Shame the early cars had louder PAS pumps than superchargers.

It's just funny how the image is different from the US to the UK.

Like the BMW 3 Series. In the UK it has a certain image associated with it, a stigma if you will.

But in the US, the BMW is adored.

I'll say that not many of the "girls" have the top spec ones ;)

I am a bit of a Porsche fanboy (since being taken round Germany in a Yellow 924 by my father when I was a wee child, he then had one of the first 924 Turbos and then a 944 for a breif period before divorce reared it's head).

911's here in the UK are seen in a bad light too, but I love them. After a week in Germany racing, you even get bored of the GT3/RS's as they are so common. Even had the pleasure of being overtaken by an RT12 on the track.

The BMW 3series and 911 (usually base specs de-badged) was an aspitational thing, usually bought on credit from remortgaging the house. I think it'll change in the next 12 months though.

But then quite a few people go potty over the base spec Mustangs here.

And when you realise the price we were paying for them (even before the current

Edited by Bibbs

Yeah I thought about it but I did the whole chrome thing and wanted to tie it together. Mini has very limited 18's and I wanted them for the stiffness. The mirrors, pipes, trim plus the whole interior is chrome and piano laquer black with black leather inside on this one. But I agree that would be hot for sure. I just love cross spokes of any kind. I have them on the 996 as well. Although those are alloy finished...

robbie, those rims would look hot in black gun powder color. less blingy and really mean.. i think.