When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back removal

brian7836

Just buy a decent set of Bergeon with a 29,5mm dye that's all.

Don't buy the cheap Chinese copies because they will damage your case back.

Could be the case that you can open it up with a ball of tape but you will never be able to close it that it has some change of being water resistant.

Antoher solution is hitting the search button on this forum :D

Carpe Diem

Cats

I have read that you can save some $$ by buying the chinese rep Bergeon set and use the handle then you only need buy the gen Bergeon dye.

Agreed, all the other Chinese dies (dyes?sp?) line up OK, It is only the 29.5 (most used) that is s**t!

So explore the cost of the 1 x 29.5, and a Chinese rep set, vs a gen Bergeon set.

Offshore

Agreed, all the other Chinese dies (dyes?sp?) line up OK, It is only the 29.5 (most used) that is s**t!

So explore the cost of the 1 x 29.5, and a Chinese rep set, vs a gen Bergeon set.

Offshore

I heeded the advice of members on this board in going for the cheap Chinese tool set, and getting a gen Bergeon 29.5mm die and I'm very happy with the combo. Mind you...the CN hands I bought were too thick for the Bergeon die to sit properly...but it rests on "top" well enough to get purchase. I could grind out the hand slots on the Bergeon die...but that would take time and effort. ;)

My watchmaker, when trying to remove a caseback on a Panerai to release a hairspring, didn't have a caseback opener to fit. He was an authorised Rolex horologist, but says that he had to relinquish because he wasn't prepared to buy new tools for the new movements that are of late. Anyway, he says that he applied superglue to the back and a piece of wood as a turnkey and simply allowed it to dry and turned it off. I didn't get as far as asking him how he removed the hard residue, because I was too busy inspecting the sapphire for damage lol, but it was completely unmarked and he says that he tightened in the same way before cleaning up. There is absolutely no marks on the watch to indicate that he used this method, but he is in his late 50's early 60's very staid and without a discernable sense of humour, so I doubt he was winding (no pun intended) me up.

Incidentally, what can be used to break down superglue residue?

I find an angle grinder or a sledge hammer tends to be quite effective!