When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Sub - New or Pre-owned?

nakortheblue

Here's the story.

I've been collecting reps for about 2-3 months now and naturally went on a shopping binge and ended up with the following. (in order)

Tag Carrera Chrono

Omega UPO

FM Crazy Hour Date

Rolex Daytona

IWC FA Jones Skeleton

IWC 3717

But none of them really wowed me and I quickly put them away.

I received my vintage Rolex Tiffany Submariner with James Bond NATO strap yesterday.

It didn't look like much but when I put it on, I immediately felt that the watch was me... it was so me.

Now, I want a gen sub but I'm not sure if I should get a new or a pre-owned.

I will definitely put a Bond strap on it, though as I have never liked SS bracelets.

I'm thinking of getting the non date version, 14060.

A quick check with the AD showed that the new is $4855. I believe this is the new one with COSC certification.

Monster time has a 2001 pre-owned one for $2815.

What are your views on which I should get?

Is getting a new one for the COSC certification worth the $2K difference?

What should I be looking out for pre-owned?

- Guarantee Papers?

- Box?

- Service Papers?

Is Monster Time a reliable dealer?

Some forums have people selling as low as $2500 but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to buy from them.

Will the price go down during the economic downturn? Should I be getting it next year instead?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Pre-owned is the only way to go. Just like a car, a new watch will lose value the minute you take it out of the AD. Make sure that the original box, tags and papers come with the watch. A watch without documentation may be purchased for less money but without authentication resale is difficult. I believe the $2500 price point is not bad for a non date sub but I wouldn't pay much more than that. If you look on Timezone you should be able to find one in that price range. Or you could always check ebay but you will pay a little more.

Oh, and by the way. Buy something post 2000 if you want the lume to glow. Pre 2000 Rolex used tritium on the dial and hands which fails to glow after a few years. Post 2000 Rolex watches used Luminova which will not fade over time.

Cheers...

Not that I have that much gen Rolex but they are all pre-owned of course.

A 2001 14060 is a great choice. It's modern, has lugholes which I love (14060 always have anyways).

Like USMC said: why put 2K more for the same watch but new knowing that it will loose value the minute you exit the shop.

As for papers or guarantee....

I came to the conclusion with the help of my dealer and some great friends of this forum that it doesn't really matter.

Original papers will raise the value of the watch when you buy it or when you'll sell it.

Say +500$.

But is it really worth?

I don't think so as if you service the watch at Rolex you will pay the same amount of money and get a certification with their service papers.

I have one without papers, and others with complete sets of papers, box, goodies.

It's up to you in the end. If you can get a full set, it's of course nicer.

Buying online?

I bought them all on line at www.subgmt.com (a pure online dealer, with no shop)

I also trust the german sellers on r-l-x.de

As for US based sellers, a lot of them are very respected.

I never dealt with Monster time but I don't see why there would be a problem either.

Cheers

Stephane

Agree with what has been said above.

I have bought one the explorer II from a member here and had great experience, the dweller i picked up on chrono24.com from a trusted dealer in Germany also flawless transaction.

The dealer was marked as a trusted dealer and recommended one from chrono24.com also he is present on the bay with flawless track record.

Regards Laz

You are not only saving money - at least in Europe the Non-COSC 14060 is the more sought after NoDateSub, especially when it has a Tritium dial (before 1998 - newer Submariners have Luminova or Superluminova lume).

When buying a more then ten years old watch I would not spend a premium on having guarantee papers. The Non-COSC Rolexes did not have a certificate of authenticity (chronometer paper!) with em, just the guarantee paper which does proof nothing IMO. Have in mind that the serial number of a Non-COSC Rolex was never written on a certificate by Rolex (and not punched too) and the dealer had to write it on the guarantee paper. Get an empty guarantee paper and a pen - see what I mean?

When buying a watch older than five years it should have been serviced in the past at least once. The invoice should be included.

The dealer invoice of the watch itself would be nice but is not a must have IMO.

I couldn't agree more with all the above but would like to add one thing. My info is old so may no longer be the case but if you buy a pre-owned COSC Rolex with no papers you used to be able to get a re-issue of papers from Rolex (provided the watch is all correct). I have never done this but I used to work with an eminent watch dealer and author who told me this is possible. Like I say this was about 10 years ago so maybe it has changed now but I thought you might like to know.

Good luck.

Is luminova and super-luminova the same thing?

Pre-owned is the only way to go. Just like a car, a new watch will lose value the minute you take it out of the AD. Make sure that the original box, tags and papers come with the watch. A watch without documentation may be purchased for less money but without authentication resale is difficult. I believe the $2500 price point is not bad for a non date sub but I wouldn't pay much more than that. If you look on Timezone you should be able to find one in that price range. Or you could always check ebay but you will pay a little more.

Oh, and by the way. Buy something post 2000 if you want the lume to glow. Pre 2000 Rolex used tritium on the dial and hands which fails to glow after a few years. Post 2000 Rolex watches used Luminova which will not fade over time.

Cheers...

I couldn't agree more with all the above but would like to add one thing. My info is old so may no longer be the case but if you buy a pre-owned COSC Rolex with no papers you used to be able to get a re-issue of papers from Rolex (provided the watch is all correct). I have never done this but I used to work with an eminent watch dealer and author who told me this is possible. Like I say this was about 10 years ago so maybe it has changed now but I thought you might like to know.

Good luck.

sadly Rolex does not give re-issues of papers anymore.