When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got my new correct version Milgauss

tenacious_b

Ok, so I received my milgauss today, the one wit the correct size case, green crystal, swiss movement, etc, etc, and the quality and build of the case is better than I anticipated. The watch has not lost any time today, and it is spooky accurate even when compared to large studio pics of the gen. It wears smaller than the GMT IIC, but not significantly so. The pair of them next to each other is something to see. Looking through the crystal straight on, it's crystal clear, but at certain angles, it's green all across the surface. The case revealed a perfect high sheen once I polished it up with a lens cloth (all I had on hand), and it really accentuated the subtle curvature of the sides of the case. The endlinks fit tight, and there isn't even the slightest gap between the internal surfaces of the lug horns and the outer surfaces of the end links. The clasp action is crisp and feels very secure once closed. It takes "the right" amount of pressure to open the clasp; not so tight that it's difficult, but not so loose that it feels cheap. The brushed and polished contrast on this bracelet is is better even than on my GMT IIC, and all of the bracelet screws fasten and unfasten easily without any gritty sensation. The crown is smooth and inspires confidence. Crown stem still registers 3 positions thought there is presumably no date wheel. Movement winds nice, tight and smooth. All in all, I can honestly say, I've never received a nicer specimen.

BUT....

And I had not anticipated this, BUT, several times today, I instinctively looked at my watch to check the date as I was scheduling conference calls on my outlook calendar and in webex. Yeah, I know how that sounds...you are working in a calendar-based software, and you look at the date on your watch? But habits are habits, and I found myself becoming increasingly off put by the lack of a date wheel. When looking at the watch in pictures, it never bothered me or occurred to me that it ever would. I am going to let is sleep in the watch box tomorrow and wear it again on Friday, and if it doesn't grow on me by then, I am likely going to post it up for grabs.

I don't have a light box, but I'll try to grab some natural light tomorrow and post some pics in this post.

Stay tuned.

Here are a few pics - my apologies for my photographic inadequacy.

milgauss001ce4.th.jpg

milgauss070wn8.th.jpg

milgauss062tp9.th.jpg

milgauss020wt8.th.jpg

milgauss024at7.th.jpg

milgauss044bj7.th.jpg

milgauss038zy2.th.jpg

I hate taking crappy pictures...any suggestions on a good mid level DSLR?

-Bryan

Well I am sorry to disappoint, but I am not capable of good pics and was not able to catch any daylight today, so I did what I could with 2 opaque lamps, an underarmor undershirt, and a couple of bottles of the good stuff. Going to start posting pics now, hopefully will be done in a few minutes.

Bryan, You may try 'photoshop' software to color correct your shots...they are yellow. Pull up the pic in photoshop and hit 'auto color'.

Yes the Nikons are great...the D60 would be an excellent choice...or

get yourself a Canon Rebel...12 megapix. They arent too expensive either. Then get a good Canon Macro lens (on my wish list thanks to this site).

You can make a super cheap soft box with flourescant tubes or curly flourescant bulbs surrounded by a white sheet or T. Dont use Tungsten house lamps since they are yellow in color temperature.

Here is a link to my watch pics shot with a Canon 10D, 50mm, 35-80mm, Canon lenses with 2x converter.

First pics are of a ladies DJ, Scroll down past comments to see more pics of my Blue TT:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...&hl=ifly_65

Thanks for the tutorial links....I think I may be on my way to a home made light box.

On a separate note, I wore the Milgauss on Friday, and I just don't love it. I am just not a "no date" kind of guy. If it had a date window, I'd be in watch heaven. I am going to post it up a little later.

Thanks for the tutorial links....I think I may be on my way to a home made light box.

On a separate note, I wore the Milgauss on Friday, and I just don't love it. I am just not a "no date" kind of guy. If it had a date window, I'd be in watch heaven. I am going to post it up a little later.

I like the date too...but there's something about this one. The size is nice...bigger than one would expect...and the combination of the polished middle links is nice with the green making the whole thing stand out. It is quite a different watch for Rolex...that's for sure.

Is the crystal "greened" by sticking a green gasket in, or is the crystal actually green tinted like some tempered glass being blue on profile?

• 1 month later...

hello,

got mine from Angus a few weeks ago...very nice...with the green glass etc but my eye fell on some scratches today...under the lamp I saw some more; very small ones, but not deep...

....isn't it scratchproof glass???

Edited by fredje

my last reply was for the last photo on page one.

As for the watch itself,

at face value, the dial, size, and build is quite good. even the glass is amazing with the green tint.

but the most overt difference i see optically when compared to the gen is that the rep has a slightly thicker bezel.

I've got the GEN. Great pickup btw.

This picture shows the most tells.

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=milgauss062tp9.jpg

Case body underside on the GEN is more pointed (hugs the wrist). The bezel on the GEN is indeed a steeper angle versus the rep with flatter, larger bezel.

I also notice the GEN crystal is sloped and doesn't sit as high as the rep. Maybe 1.5 mm height at most.

The dial orange numbers 60..5..10..15 are also fine on the gen and not as thick as the rep shows. Cheers and congrats on the GV