When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The "Collection" watch vs. The "Personal" Watch

RobbieG

You know I have to say that while the PO bracelet is nice because it is curved and that part is very comfortable, it is the least comfortable overall in my box because of the shape of the case back - and while all that relief engraving looks cool it doesn't help that matter either. The watch feels better with the rubber strap, but you know, I didn't realize until just now that I actually wear it less than the others because of the comfort factor. Hmm. I have known for some time it wasn't getting as much time - now I know why...

PO10.jpg

The MMD is really comfortable despite being quite heavy because of the smaller links (and talk about pure silkyness in that bracelet - yum) and also the nice wide flat caseback. The weight of the case also helps make it sit nice and flat...

UN9r.jpg

The AT bracelet also fits like a glove. In this case although the case is quite thick and bulky, the Ti does the job at making it nice and light and comfy. Hardly know it is on - even though it does have a bit of a "wedged" hump on the caeback like the PO. But like the MMD I can't say enough about the bracelet. Just so comfortable...

Aquatimer10r.jpg

But still the DJ takes the comfort cake. The smooth white look and silky feel of the 904 steel is just wonderful. The DD with its weight and the smaller links in the Pres bracelet will be even better if I finally end up getting one. But in the meantime, I could wear the DJ forever and a day and never take it off...

DJ7.jpg

You know I have to say that while the PO bracelet is nice because it is curved and that part is very comfortable, it is the least comfortable overall in my box because of the shape of the case back - and while all that relief engraving looks cool it doesn't help that matter either. The watch feels better with the rubber strap, but you know, I didn't realize until just now that I actually wear it less than the others because of the comfort factor. Hmm. I have known for some time it wasn't getting as much time - now I know why...

You're absolutely right there, the weight of the watch, and the shape of the caseback plays a huge part. Indeed, the watch does feel better on rubber, possibly because of the reduced weight, possibly because the rubber is a naturally more tactile substance than the SS bracelet. Either way, the Planet Ocean bracelet itself, is a very comfortable one, and I'd attribute that to the shape of the links, and reduced contact with the wrist, making it 'feel' like there's less contact...

I'll try re-fitting the factory strap to my X-33, as that has the same shape links, but a flatter caseback than the Planet Ocean, that'd certainly be a better test of the comfort of the bracelet itself :)

the older rolex clasps with the stamped metal were quite cheesy, especially for the TT bracelets.

but the new rolesor clasps and bracelets are great. they have gold thru the middle on the TT and the

clasp itself is first rate.

Indeed, those're the clasps which rather 'let the side down'. That said, with the more recent watches like the GMTIIc and the Deep Sea it looks like Rolex as a company has decided that the "if it's don't broke, then don't try to fix it..." motto isn't always the best policy, when innovations in technology allow for a better quality product, so maybe there's hope for them yet ;)

[Edit to add]

I'm having trouble re-fitting the stock bracelet to the X-33... The 'end links' of the bracelet are the kind which are hollow, with the wire loops inside, which the springbar passes through, and that would mean bending a springbar... However, strangely, the actual bracelet itself, composes individual sections for the outer links, inner links, and the highlight links next to the center links :)

the thing i don't like about the PO- the clasp is so long becacuse of the extension part

it takes up my whole wrist.

To be honest, it's not impossibly long :lol: I just compared the clasps on my Planet Ocean and my Daytona (Shock horror, yes, I actually have one, I just never wear it :lol: ) and they're actually the same length :)

Dani - the Emergency is such a special piece and talk about functional. Certainly a "Personal" piece and not a "Collection" piece for most who would own one. Do you have the kind of job that makes you happy to be wearing it as it provides for you in that capacity?

I have a small collection

and the watch closest to my heart is my breitling emergency a QUARTZ :ban: but as its a symbol for me so for that reason i love it and man it looks good.

Great write up Robbie.

Cheers

Robbie is spot on with his comments on the comfortableness of the DJ's and DD's. I have been a fan of these since I started collecting reps, and always had a DJ in the collection. I've now sold them all and wear a DD on oyster.

I swear, after oiling the bracelet it felt so silky smooth and the bracelet just draped over my wrist. This watch is definitely as comfortable as my MBK Nautilus, it is very easy to forget you are wearing a watch. I had been wearing my newly acquired SSD for a few days prior to this one, and after I took the SSD off and put the DD on, it felt like a huge relief for my wrist! The difference is night and day between the comfortability of these two watches, the DD fits like a glove on my wrist.

After trying on so many dial combos, I believe I have finally found the right combo for me: black dial with arabic markers. A beauty for sure.

DD-blackarabic006.jpg

Robbie,

For me, the answer is pretty simple- The one watch I would wear (if I only had one) is probably this one (no surprise):

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_7560.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

Followed by:

IMG_4224.jpg

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

The coronet was the brand that started it for me; a common story for several, no doubt. Like you, I've ventured away from the brand as my tastes evolved and changed but the more I experienced, the more I realised that Rolex has gained it's place in the world of horology for several reasons- Consistency in design, constant evolution that draws from the best attributes of function with balanced and oft times understated aesthetics, comfortable designs that are easy to wear and adjust and, as mentioned, a truly iconic nature that is instantly recognizable as a symbol of excellence.

I suppose there is good reason why so many that start with Rolex come back to Rolex, no matter what happens in between :)

Amen to that brother. And the Daytona as much as the Sub, the DD, and DJ has earned that place in history. And like the others never weighs you down and always feels just right...

I suppose there is good reason why so many that start with Rolex come back to Rolex, no matter what happens in between :)

Although Rolex DJ and DD are iconic, they are just a nice 36/39mm watch IMO.

My first serious watch purchase was the mens 39 mm Cartier SS Tank which now days I never wear.

When it comes to a class swiss watch - it is tough to beat...IMO.

Over the years I, like many others, have been drawn to larger diameter cases. 40-42-44mm cases just seem

to make more sense.

As far as rolli is concerned I prefer the more chunky sports line than the DJ or DD.

I find now that when I need to wear a dinner or business watch under a shirt sleeve, I prefer watches like Franck Muller Casablanca's

or my daily beater...PP Nautilus.

Now Sport watches...that is a completely different story. The bigger (44-46mm) the better. And I have only 6.75 in. wrist.

Additionally, my favorite sports watches all have rubber straps these days.

Omega 300, Pam 112, BSOH, and my favorite these days...PP Aquanaut.

ALL my rolli's, including Subs, Daytonas, vintage 6265, and Explorer I, mostly just sit in the box.

Whatever.

This is all great info and to each his own, but my feelings about Rollie DJ's and DD's wasn't really something I was trying to sell. I just wanted to know if everyone else has a more personal piece with history that trancends the collection. It sounds like the Rollies for you are the collection pieces or at least some of them, but what is the standout watch that means something to you that you would wear everday regrdless of whether or not you were a collector? There may not be one either. Not everyone has a real personal piece in their life I'm sure, but if you do I would love to hear what it is and why.

Although Rolex DJ and DD are iconic, they are just a nice 36/39mm watch IMO.

My first serious watch purchase was the mens 39 mm Cartier SS Tank which now days I never wear.

When it comes to a class swiss watch - it is tough to beat...IMO.

Over the years I, like many others, have been drawn to larger diameter cases. 40-42-44mm cases just seem

to make more sense.

As far as rolli is concerned I prefer the more chunky sports line than the DJ or DD.

I find now that when I need to wear a dinner or business watch under a shirt sleeve, I prefer watches like Franck Muller Casablanca's

or my daily beater...PP Nautilus.

Now Sport watches...that is a completely different story. The bigger (44-46mm) the better. And I have only 6.75 in. wrist.

Additionally, my favorite sports watches all have rubber straps these days.

Omega 300, Pam 112, BSOH, and my favorite these days...PP Aquanaut.

ALL my rolli's, including Subs, Daytonas, vintage 6265, and Explorer I, mostly just sit in the box.

Whatever.