When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Deep Sea

lanikai

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you are bombarded with questions Lani and thanks for answering all of them so patiently. How is the pearl on the watch? And also, does the bezel has a smooth feel or can you feel the numbers engraved?

if you mean does the numerals on the bezel feel sharp .. no .. if you mean are the numerals filled in with a clear coat.. no.. it's not as smooth as glass but not really rough either.. the pearl looks great.. and it is also blue when charged .. but this will need a day out of the box to get charged to where I can take lume shots..but the little I saw of it today .. I was happy.. Blue.. Blue !!

@mj ..here's another pic .. and they will never .. ever rep a Rolex to exact specs.. I think we can figure out why .. one line ... Swiss Federation ..

it's not perfect.. but not terrible.. keeping in mind that this is a rep..

75169549js2.jpg

it is a hair closer to the edge of the rehaut than the genuine.. but I expected some flaws along this line.. (I was hoping it was this rather than the engraving)

I believe there is a reason the maker "adds" .. very subtle .. flaws.. that really only we could point out .. or others who are as studied..

but 95% of the population (again IMO) ,.. will not notice this .. it's really not that bad in person.. looking straight on is ok..

I tend to agree with you. As close as they get these things, they could nail them if they really wanted to. I've been doing the PAM thing lately and when you look at some of the projects that members of this and other boards undertake; projects like V CGs, T crowns, FGD and Little Hero Dials (and many others) and how close the actually come to 1:1, you wonder why the rep factories can't do as well.

Anyway, I'm glad you think it's hardly noticeable...I may have to get one.

if you mean does the numerals on the bezel feel sharp .. no .. if you mean are the numerals filled in with a clear coat.. no.. it's not as smooth as glass but not really rough either..

Thanks Lani. How is the gen supposed to be? Is it supposed to be absolutely smooth (i.e. the number are engraved and then there is some transparent glass coating on the bezel)?

I tend to agree with you. As close as they get these things, they could nail them if they really wanted to. I've been doing the PAM thing lately and when you look at some of the projects that members of this and other boards undertake; projects like V CAsT crowns, FGD and Little Hero Dials (and many others) and how close the actually come to 1:1, you wonder why the rep factories can't do as well.

Anyway, I'm glad you think it's hardly noticeable...I may have to get one.

We notice it because we are looking for the exact item... and yes,.. they could make it "perfect" (if they wanted to).. but they are treading on very dangerous ground if they do.. it would be naivete.. on our part to think they make these errors without knowing it..

edit add:.. look this is a pic of the genuine .. same same.. I stand corrected.. I think the maker "hit it"!

5410qn6.jpg

Thanks Lani. How is the gen supposed to be? Is it supposed to be absolutely smooth (i.e. the number are engraved and then there is some transparent glass coating on the bezel)?

some member posted that he is recieving his and his pal has the genuine.. I would think that he will post a comparison.. with the christmas mail the travel time is tripled right now with these parcels.. can't wait for the genuine and rep side by side..

after cropping and closing in on the bezel (genuine) .. I would say it has no clear coat to fill the numerals.. it is as the GMTCII .. I think the member who posted that Q has gotten a different makers rep..

5410qn6.jpg

edit add: @mj.. look at the rehaut lettering.. you may be happy that the genuine has the same effect when viewed slightly off centered..the lettering is closer to the edge :D

We notice it because we are looking for the exact item... and yes,.. they could make it "perfect" (if they wanted to).. but they are treading on very dangerous ground if they do.. it would be naivete.. on our part to think they make these errors without knowing it..

Makes sense to me...Thanks again for the post...I can't wait for your full review and other pics.

so busy with the bezel and rehaut.. take a look at the dial font....on the genuine and compare it to the rep..the S's and the coronet.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

5411ao8.jpg

14084489dw9.jpg

5411uo2.jpg

Genuine is also in small pic above ^

this is the first dial where the font is .. "NAILED".. may not be perfect but closer than any other.. the S's.. are superb !!.. and the coronet !! :)

edit add: oh ma GGGGG !!!! look at the font on the dial.. praise the maker for printing the SSSS's so flat ... one in a row !!

off to sleep gang.. more tomorrow.. Cableguy.. stay dry .. another tropical storm is headed our way thursday ... The manhole covers all over kailua where suspended in geysers of water the other day..

all I can say is ..... I likes it a lot.. ( the Deep Sea that is)

Cable.... neva nuff !!!.. go tell dem stop .. nah, only joke !!

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Thanks lanikai! I expect it to wear large but somehow the size and taper of the bracelet seems to be on the small size. I wondered if it felt REALLY top heavy.

So what do you guys think would be the actual percentage of these gens that ever make deeper than the pool at the Bellagio? 2%? 0.0002% ?

The divers I know (only 2 actually) both told me long ago that serious divers all wear dive computers & if they wear a watch at all, they always wear a quartz digital for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is that you would be crazy to risk damaging such an expensive (& relatively inaccurate) piece of jewelry on a dive when a cheap Casio does a much better job & offers alot more useful features. Apparently, unlike the 50s, 60s & 70s, to wear a Rolex on a dive today is akin to taking a gold plated hammer to work as a carpenter - people do not take you seriously. So, to answer your 2nd question (which I assume was rhetorical anyway) 1st, I would guess that no more than 2 of these watches will ever see duty beyond a chlorine swimming pool or a champagne-tinted day at a resort (1 SDDS will fall off a yacht & the other will be stolen by pirates & go down with their ship when the Saudis finally decide they want their tanker back).

When I tried a gen on at an AD a couple of months ago, the bracelet-to-watch size differential did not bother me, but I thought the entire thing was just too big & clunky to be worn with anything other than a wet (clown) suit. Just not my taste at all. But I can certainly appreciate the technology & design behind it. So, like I said after seeing 1 for the 1st time, I have a space reserved in 1 of my cases for a nice SDDS to gather dust in. ;)

I think one of the biggest tell in the watch is the date window. The date window in the gen is super cool (tapers inwards nicely).....while on the rep seems to be simple cut-out on the bezel. Having said this....will wait for Lani's review and then see how far is it from the gen.

I just took a good look ant my date window and it does taper inwards.

I think one of the biggest tell in the watch is the date window. The date window in the gen is super cool (tapers inwards nicely).....while on the rep seems to be simple cut-out on the bezel. Having said this....will wait for Lani's review and then see how far is it from the gen.

I just took a good look at my date window and it does taper inwards.

Not really sure I have attached some pics. Sorry for the poor quality

I have the Ceramic Bezel with the correct font but it is engraved, I have the domed crystal, tapered date window, but the Blue Lume is only on the hands.

I just got back from picking up my Gen Rolex from service and took another look at the Deep Sea. My Rep is very close.

Is it v2 or v3 where the date window tapers inwards?

I tend to agree with you. As close as they get these things, they could nail them if they really wanted to. I've been doing the PAM thing lately and when you look at some of the projects that members of this and other boards undertake; projects like V CGs, T crowns, FGD and Little Hero Dials (and many others) and how close the actually come to 1:1, you wonder why the rep factories can't do as well.

I used to think they built in flaws purposely to give themselves. chinese government, etc some sort of bizarre "but it's different" plausible deniability or sell multiple versions to each collector. Now I believe there's a simpler explanation. Think of the dozens of little details we worry about. When you build an entire watch, probably with more than a few different people or subcontractors working on different parts you're bound to get variances between rep and gen. When the factories feel a variance is hurting sales (or causes a competing factory to believe they can sell more pieces) they fix it (blue lume on the DS). When our analness is too anal for them to worry about (# of teeth on PAM crowns) they don't.

BTW, Maybe youy have to see it in person but the Deep Sea rep Xtal looks about 60% of the height of the gens I've seen in person. Sadly, a deal breaker for me. Here's to version 3.