When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage TAG & Vintage RobbieG

RobbieG

A found one of these while poking around on the Bay and felt compelled to find others. I had two of these, including one from the first run released in 1986. My first was a grey watch with yellow accents. They came in many colors and were quite comfortable. You could even mix and match colors which was a cool thing to do in the 80's. Remember the original Oakley Razor's with the interchangeable nose and ear pieces? I even found a guy selling OEM straps in all the colors to this day and not only that, there were actually some auctions selling NIB versions. Imagine that? Untouched and as new from 23 years ago! A blast from the past for me for sure. Anyone else have one in the 80's?

044b_1.jpg

E6.jpg

5a3a_1.jpg

7a27_1.jpg

a297_12.jpg

cc24_1.jpg

Also for those who are interested, the watches were also available with micro linked steel bracelets in a sort of Rolex Jubliee style and they measured 38MM including crown. Oh and yes, the are quartz watches, but back then I didn't care! At 18 I was more interested in teasing my hair with Aqua Net, leather pants and looking pretty for the girls (or looking like a girl depending on how you look at it) as can be seen here. 140 lbs soaking wet, primed and ready to rock before a show God knows where in 1986 - the year the F1 came out and I got mine. I only wish I had the watch on, but alas I can't seem to find any pics from that year that do. One thing is for sure and that is I look like I could have used a cheeseburger or three...

1986.jpg

Yeah, I can honestly say if I were to ever own a quartz watch again, a NOS one of these would be one and of course the other would be the Breitling Emergency. Speaking of emergency, how much of a fashion emergency by today's standards would I be in the 1986 pic?

Absolutely awesome find :) I'm not much into Tags, but I can totally appreciate the historic value of such a find, especially for those who are into historic Tags :good:

I didn't know Victoria was shall we say, stuck on 80's metal or something? What exactly is the story with her - other than her other fame in the rep world - do tell...

HAHAHHA! Love it...great find and a nice photo...too bad Victoria isn't around any more... she'd take a fancy to you in that picture!

Yeah, time capsule for sure. Speaking of which, what do you think the chances are one could find boots like those on the bay. Steel tips and heels. That can't have crossed decades, right?

Cool find!

I see that these are the cheapest TAG Heuers on eBay, but then they are way more used than the mint example you have! This is a real time capsule. :)

The 1980ties were the area of plastic Swatch and Casios for me..

One day she took leave and never returned... Someone said they searched for her on other forums and she had a habit of racking up a ton of posts and than just leaving... she had a ridiculous PAM/ Strap collection... hell, there's speculation she wasn't really a "she" but an elaborate prank... who knows :) Either way, quite entertaining!

Yeah I heard all that, but why did you say she would have liked my picture or whatever? I didn't quite get that part.

One day she took leave and never returned... Someone said they searched for her on other forums and she had a habit of racking up a ton of posts and than just leaving... she had a ridiculous PAM/ Strap collection... hell, there's speculation she wasn't really a "she" but an elaborate prank... who knows :) Either way, quite entertaining!

Yeah man fire it up and resurect it. If had one I would for sure just for history's sake. Although I ceratinly would't resurect my image from 1986 shown here. Thank God for the blur tool - not because it hides my identity but because you can't see the eye make up. I can't believe now that chicks used to dig that. Go figure. They say all women are inherently lesbian so maybe that is why. Can't say as I blame them.

I think i have a dead one somewhere in my drawers... Let me try to dig it up. Hmmm... Robbie, you may have just fired up my desire to get mine serviced and running again... Although, i do not know how to accept strapping on all of its 38mm on my wrist again! :p

Hey Robbie, I don't know how old are you but when I was 16 I had 2 of those formula 1 TAGs. The green one shown in one of you pics (which by the way the coolest thing was that the complete dial was covered in lume, so it glowed like a torch) and the other one was complete black with little red accents. WAAAAY COOOL.

Unfortunetly the green was stolen and the black one got lost after I couldn't find a replacement strap in my country (which at the time, going to the US was too much).

Cheers to the past!

Yeah I was really into mine when I first got it. Mine was a grey strap case and dial with yellow bezel. I've got to see if I can find a wristy pic of it somewhere. Cool memories. I got it the year that pic was taken. 1986. I was 18 that year which was the line came out. Fun stuff!

Hey Robbie, I don't know how old are you but when I was 16 I had 2 of those formula 1 TAGs. The green one shown in one of you pics (which by the way the coolest thing was that the complete dial was covered in lume, so it glowed like a torch) and the other one was complete black with little red accents. WAAAAY COOOL.

Unfortunetly the green was stolen and the black one got lost after I couldn't find a replacement strap in my country (which at the time, going to the US was too much).

Cheers to the past!