When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How reliable are Certina movements?

triplehd

I want to upgrade my SMP from its current movement - DG2813 to either a DG413 or an Asian ETA clone. On Ofrei's site, there's a movement - Certina 25-021 that has the same specs of an ETA 2824.

Certina 25-021

11 1/2 Ligne

Date @3

hand hole sizes 90/150/25

$65

ETA 2824-2

11.5 ligne, 25 jewels,

Date @ 3

Hand sizes 90/150/25,

28,800 BPH.

$145-$160

Im not sure about the Jewels or the BPM on the Certina, but can it be considered a reliable sub for the ETA 2824?

Edited by triplehd

Although I would think it's a reliable movement, the first thing you need to think about is the stem position and will it line up.

And, yes, this is a hand wind movement. So it's really not a good candidate for a swap since you have an automatic movement in there already.

If you have a DG 2813, you know that you can swap a DG 4813 w/o too much trouble. Probably also a 2836 could be used- clone or gen. A 2824 will have a higher stem position and probably won't work.

If you have a DG 2813, you know that you can swap a DG 4813 w/o too much trouble. Probably also a 2836 could be used- clone or gen. A 2824 will have a higher stem position and probably won't work.

I know I can upgrade to a DG4813, but wouldnt mind getting something close to an ETA movement. I would love to get my hands on some Clone 2824s or Seagull movements.

4813 are reliable and can be accurate with minor adjustment, they can also take some abuse, but has a loud rotor, and the dates takes a few hours to click over. only problem with mine is the minute hand slips or something, and while the second hand remains accurate +2secs a day the minute hand starts too slow down and it looses time that way.