When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Best" Deespsea movement swap?

mastergod

Hi SDDS interestees,

As we all know, the "Best" Deepsea with asia 2813-2 costs about USD 130 whilst the swiss 2836 version sells for USD 200 more. Which suggests getting the cheapest version and sticking a swiss 2836 into it would be economically sound unless the transplant is tedious (i.e. costly).

I happen to have a Swiss 2836 (unmodified, non-gmt) lying around with nowhere to go. Hence the Q: How easy is it, time and parts wise, for a watchsmith to simply swap movements?

Thanks for your valuable input on this, kind regards

MG

Edit: Some spelling errors:)

Hi SDDS interestees,

As we all know, the "Best" Deepsea with asia 2813-2 costs about USD 130 whilst the swiss 2836 sells for USD 200 more. Which suggests getting the cheapest version and sticking a swiss 2836 into it would be economically sound unless the transplant is tedious (i.e. costly).

I happen to have a Swiss 2836 (unmodified, non-gmt) lying around with nowhere to go. Hence the Q: How easy is it, time and parts wise, for a watchsmith to simply swap movements?

Thanks for your valuable input on this, kind regards

MG

Edit: Some spelling errors:)

It should be easy for a watchmaker to do if you have the parts.... You will need ETA hands and possibly an ETA dial if the feet on your dial are not in the same place. Someone else here is bound to know about the dial.

Hi SDDS interestees,

As we all know, the "Best" Deepsea with asia 2813-2 costs about USD 130 whilst the swiss 2836 version sells for USD 200 more. Which suggests getting the cheapest version and sticking a swiss 2836 into it would be economically sound unless the transplant is tedious (i.e. costly).

I don't believe it is a straight swap for the following reasons:

• Dial feet are different for the 2 movements...so you will have to cut and "glue" or tape the dial to the new movement
  • Hands will not fit...you will have to source new hands
  • Datewheel overlays are specific to the movement and I don't believe the DG2813 overlay works with an ETA
  • Even if the date overlay worked...different dial spacer might be needed

My recommendation if you want to go this route (which is what I'm thinking of)...buy the Asian movement...keep the Asian movement. When it dies...swap in either a DG4813 (~$20CDN) or DG2813 ($12CDN) as a replacement. It will take a lot of Asian movement swaps before you approach the cost of the gen Swiss ETA replacement.

As FxrAndy stated above as well...you could buy the Asian ETA and either have that one maintained and serviced and see if the ETA parts as required fit in it if needed...and if they don't, swap your gen Swiss ETA in then...but not worry about it if you don't have to...or do as I recommended above to save money...and just replace the cheap Asian movements as needed. Obviously the Asian movements will be noisier rotor side than the Swiss, and the time setting/winding will feel cheaper.

The usual approach is, if you want to get a Swiss engined non-Chrono...buy it outright.

I kinda like FxrAndy's idea- buy the eta copy watch. Then you have the right size hands, dial feet in the right place and might even be able to swap over the datewheel and overlay with no fuss. And I'd run the copy movt as long as I could first. I've got a copy movt that's two years old and going great.

Invaluable. Love this forum.

Thanks (& merry Xmas)

Likewise...this forum is loaded with info. As a revealing of bias on my suggestion...I'm somewhat interested in this watch after Lani's review...but given the size being like the Skyland but with a bracelet...I'm a little hesitant so I don't see this watch as a long term "regular rotation" piece...but more like a fun, occasional use beater. In that case...I would not bother spending the money on the Swiss...and would just go Asian...knowing that I can do a movement replacement myself for as little as $12 or as much as $20 CDN for a DG4813.

For my SSD, I went Swiss...as that is a watch I think is closer to the size I want in a black dialed diver.

Good luck either way on the decision...and a Merry Xmas to all!

A above, you would be just as well to buy the asain eta copy version and do the swap then, you will have the dial feet in the right position and the correct size hands.

Clever B***ard!

Awesome idea :)

Gonna do that on my Deepsea that I order from Chris.

Well done FxrAndy ;)