When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decisions, decisions...

Jolkins

Hi everybody! As I mentioned before in my introduction post, I'm new to the whole rep thing. I'm thinking about to get my first rep, currently I have 2 candidates: Tag Heuer Carrera and Omega's Planet Ocean 45,5mm version(non chrono). Now, I have few questions.

At the moment I'm leaning more trowards Omega's PO, the question is would it look OK on my wrist(7.4-7.9 inches). I don't want it to look too big. Also I guess it should be more reliable than Tag with Asian 7750 movement, if PO is with Swiss ETA.

Then, as I can't find any Tag or Omega dealers near my location, I don't have chance to check them out, the feel of SS bracelet, but then again rep would obviously feel different. As I'll probably use it as everyday watch, the feel of it is important, so which of these two would be the most comfortable? From pictures it looks like it would be PO, it should have solid feel because of its weight, right?

The Planet Ocean should look fine on your wrist. From my own experience, I'd think that, if the top lugs were in line with the knuckle of your little finger, the bottom lugs would be lining up somewhere between your middle, and index fingers, with about 1-2 cm of strap/bracelet showing from the base lugs, to where it curves round your wrist. The Planet Ocean is an awesome watch, probably one of, if not my favorite watch design. I don't think you'd regret buying one :)

The PO is 45.5mm x 13mm and the Carrera is something like 41mm x 16mm.

I've tried both gens on, have 6.5" wrists and find the PO feels larger even though the Carrera is thicker. I like both watches but am drawn to the Carrera more than the PO. Everything is true for what you have said...that the PO in Swiss will probably be easier to maintain than an A7750 unless you have a watchsmith that you know that can work on an Asian chrono movement...the trick though is ensuring you get a Swiss ETA instead of an Asian copy of the ETA movement.

The PO is 45.5mm x 13mm and the Carrera is something like 41mm x 16mm.

I've tried both gens on, have 6.5" wrists and find the PO feels larger even though the Carrera is thicker. I like both watches but am drawn to the Carrera more than the PO. Everything is true for what you have said...that the PO in Swiss will probably be easier to maintain than an A7750 unless you have a watchsmith that you know that can work on an Asian chrono movement...the trick though is ensuring you get a Swiss ETA instead of an Asian copy of the ETA movement.

I agree with Toadtorrent, except I lean towards the Omegas. I currently have a PO and am looking to get another of different color. I had the Carrera, but got rid of it when I sold my 911; couldn't deal with the constant reminder. Both are great reps so you can't go wrong with respect to looks.

C

I'm a big fan of the PO. Mine is a 42MM and I have both the SS and rubber shoes. For the 45.5MM size I would suggest you get the rubber strap to start with as I think you will feel it wears much bigger on steel. The rubber on the 45.5MM UPO is just right for your wrist size IMO. Actually, I have 7.5" wrists and I love the 42MM, but the best rep available right now is the big one so I would go with that.

I'm a big fan of the PO. Mine is a 42MM and I have both the SS and rubber shoes. For the 45.5MM size I would suggest you get the rubber strap to start with as I think you will feel it wears much bigger on steel. The rubber on the 45.5MM UPO is just right for your wrist size IMO. Actually, I have 7.5" wrists and I love the 42MM, but the best rep available right now is the big one so I would go with that.

Actually, after wearing my Breitling (BCE, Skyland), PAM and Hublot, I was a bit disapointed about the size of the UPO. I think for a "big watch", it wear really small.

I don't really like to point out this, but on another forum, there is a group buy for it which come to $200 shipped. Can't go wrong for that price.

I got the 007 edition on Stainless Steel bracelet.

UPO group buy is over, price is $5 more now. Still a great deal, although they are dropshipped.

Hi everybody! As I mentioned before in my introduction post, I'm new to the whole rep thing. I'm thinking about to get my first rep, currently I have 2 candidates: Tag Heuer Carrera and Omega's Planet Ocean 45,5mm version(non chrono). Now, I have few questions.

At the moment I'm leaning more trowards Omega's PO, the question is would it look OK on my wrist(7.4-7.9 inches). I don't want it to look too big. Also I guess it should be more reliable than Tag with Asian 7750 movement, if PO is with Swiss ETA.

Then, as I can't find any Tag or Omega dealers near my location, I don't have chance to check them out, the feel of SS bracelet, but then again rep would obviously feel different. As I'll probably use it as everyday watch, the feel of it is important, so which of these two would be the most comfortable? From pictures it looks like it would be PO, it should have solid feel because of its weight, right?

Go UPO if you can get it with swiss ETA

The TAG only comes with the asian 7750 wich is a sort of a Russian roulette movement if not professionally serviced.

Thanks guys for your replies! I'll probably go for UPO.

If you are still not sure go to town try on the real deal and go from there

As I mentioned, I can't find find any Omega or Tag dealers near my location.

I'm thinking about using Eurotimez services, so I should get a quality product with the real Swiss ETA. 330$ is normal price for this kind of watch, right? I'm just re-checking everything, so that I don't make some silly mistakes.

BTW: Merry Christmas to everyone!

PO. :)

A friend bought a Rolex YM from Chris (Eurotimez) based upon my recommendation. I took the watch to my watchmaker to verify that the movement was genuine swiss eta. My watchmaker has decades experience and said that although you can't be absolutely certain, that he would be very surprised if the movement wasn't genuine swiss. That's obviously just one data point, but Chris does seem to have access to pieces with genuine swiss movements.