When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

best tool for rlx tube removal?

db1

Hi,

before i buy a paperweight,

wanted to get some more experienced-wise advice on a rlx tube tool.

i have read all posts on the board about them, have seen about 2-3 version on diff. places online which sells for ~$34-40

i know there is that "popular" tool all over the bay with the red/orange/blue plastic handle that sells for $39,

i have also seen an all-steel tool for around the same price somewhere on the net.

maybe there is some more versions of this tool?

which tool is the most recommended to use ?

btw: if anyone has a good one and has no use for it, i am also opened for a 2nd hand buy =]

i just need if for one tube replacement job,

db1 :)

When you're removing a rep tube, a rat tail file works OK, just jam it up there and turn counterclockwise. Sometimes it's a good idea to heat up the case first to loosen the glue- yep, they are gluing those babies in there now days. I've never seen a rep tube which had the grooves where you could use a Rolex tool. Sometimes it's necessary to turn it out of there with a pair of pliers- trashes out the rep tube, but it's only going in the trash can anyways.

http://www.julesborel.com/horological/page202.htm

Here's the tool for installing the new tube- 6mm gents- new style.

It's a good idea to clean out the threads with a tap also before you install the new tube- the 3mm x 3.5 is correct size for the Sub case tubes.

A little bit of blue loc-tite on the tube threads is also a good idea.

thanks for the input Omega !

yeah, i will not try to remove the rep tube with the rlx tool. but some people told me that after removing the rep tube and re-tapping, for the gen tube installation i better off screw it in with a proper tool, thats the way to go? or there a trick i hevent heard of ? =]

i will buy a tool, just wanted to know if these sold on ebay (with the plastic handle for $39) get the job done right, maybe some member on rwg had used one of these and can confirm?

\db1

thanks for the info alligoat :)

yeah i've got the tap, and will probably heat the tube before removal to loosen up the glue in there. after removal i plan to re-tap the hole any case (even if the threads are fine, the re-taping will clean the glue out) and then countersink the hole , then install the gen tube.

i think the all-steel tool you mentioned on the link looks more durable then the one sold on the bay, i'll give that a try.

do you know if the a7750 stem will screw-into the gen 7mm rlx crown nicely? or will need glueing ?

db1

just placed an order at julesborrel for the rlx tube tool.

i thought i'll pay instantly with paypal right after order completion.

it "transmitted" my order without asking for a payment method. how is that being done on julesborel?

(btw: i dont reside in the US for the next 2 years, i wonder if they ship over-seas)

Edited by db1

I've paid by credit card in the past with them. Last order on line, they automatically charged it to my c.c. which they have on file. You might give them a call Friday to follow up.

I would think the 7750 stem would screw into the Rolex crown- it's worked for me on the eta and asian stems, just never tried on a 7750 stem.

It's a good idea to clean out the threads with a tap also before you install the new tube- the 3mm x 3.5 is correct size for the Sub case tubes.

Errm...you mean 3mm X 0,35mm for sure... ;)

EDIT: You can use this for removing the tube without to damage it. I build one for me with a wood handpart only for removing watch-tubes...

57bfacc8.jpg

thanks for the tips Omega =]

about tube tool: already placed an "order" @ julesborel for an all-steel one. emailed them to ask about paypal payment.

i will probably only get a reply later on, cause of the holiday.

Omega: i have also seen one post where pugwash said he's cutting a "groove" on top of the tube and unscrewing it with a sharp screwdriver- what an unusual, but pretty clever method to remove a tube! i never thought of that before i had seen his post (sounds like a good method in case you are sure you dont need the tube later)

• 2 months later...

Great posts guys... now I have a slightly different question, same topic:

What about removing a tube that has threads on the inside? My Doxa screws down watertight but the outer surface of the tube is smooth, with wear marks from an o-ring working against it. I can't think of how to unscrew it without messing up the inner threads?

Ideas?

Great posts guys... now I have a slightly different question, same topic:

What about removing a tube that has threads on the inside? My Doxa screws down watertight but the outer surface of the tube is smooth, with wear marks from an o-ring working against it. I can't think of how to unscrew it without messing up the inner threads?

Ideas?

Find a nut and bolt the same size. Screw in the bolt (or screw) into the tube then tighten the nut real tight and back out the nut and bolt.