When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grand Watch Theft

Samurai

Cortina Watch....one of the largest chain of ADs in Singapore had a nice Christmas present in store when they opened for business the day after Christmas. Seems like Santa had cleaned up one of their outlets.

Get this....386 pieces of watches worth US$5.2Million were stolen....along with $27,000 in cash.

Police suspects a recently laid off employee of Cortina to be in cahoots with the burglars.

Wonder where will all these watches land up.....maybe will come up as production over-run from OEM factory on one of our dealer's site :p

Cheers

Cortina Watch....one of the largest chain of ADs in Singapore had a nice Christmas present in store when they opened for business the day after Christmas. Seems like Santa had cleaned up one of their outlets.

Get this....386 pieces of watches worth US$5.2Million were stolen....along with $27,000 in cash.

Police suspects a recently laid off employee of Cortona to be in cahoots with the burglars.

Wonder where will all these watches land up.....maybe will come up as production over-run from OEM factory on one of our dealer's site :p

Cheers

Wow,.. nice time to be a fence... :rolleyes: .. figure they get 10 cents on the dolla ??

Like DL Say's there's gonna be a lot of watches that "fell off trucks"... :rolleyes:

at least if your going to be a thief .. don't nickel and dime it... <_<

I know the 'insider' news on this one... loss is actually close to SGD10 million..... the whole watch vault was cleared out.... PPs, APs, PAMs, Corums, IWCs all the highend watches...

Apparently this has been in the works for awhile.... the guy started work 4 years ago as a salesman... drives a Mercedes... very friendly and treats every one very well.... buying lunches... easy with the cash.... everyone loved him.... managers from the top to sales assistant.. funny guy as well...

He came in Christmas day during stock taking... chatted to everyone and left.... then doubled back when shop was closed... cleared out everything...

The word is he probably already have buyers/backers on this one..... all sorted out...

Edited by kye_lin

I know the 'insider' news on this one... loss is actually close to SGD10 million..... the whole watch vault was cleared out.... PPs, APs, PAMs, Corums, IWCs all the highend watches...

Apparently this has been in the works for awhile.... the guy started work 4 years ago as a salesman... drives a Mercedes... very friendly and treats every one very well.... buying lunches... easy with the cash.... everyone loved him.... managers from the top to sales assistant.. funny guy as well...

He came in Christmas day during stock taking... chatted to everyone and left.... then doubled back when shop was closed... cleared out everything...

The word is he probably already have buyers/backers on this one..... all sorted out...

Hi Kye Lin,

You have his contact number? :D

Of course the question here is did he use false credentials when submittting the equivalent of our W-4 and I-9 forms here in the US when he was hired? In other words, did he use his real name and has already been found and questioned and will just deny it, or is he a ghost as his name and address in the paperwork are phoney?

Of course the question here is did he use false credentials when submittting the equivalent of our W-4 and I-9 forms here in the US when he was hired? In other words, did he use his real name and has already been found and questioned and will just deny it, or is he a ghost as his name and address in the paperwork are phoney?

Mate....extremely difficult to use forged credentials in Singapore....the system is very well controlled.

The police have already been to his place and interviewed his parents. The dude has been missing since the day of the theft....most likely has gone over to Malaysia/Indonesia and onwards

Thanks Sam - I had no idea. Figures though. Singapore is known to be a pretty tight ship. So what will the sentence be if he is caught? I assume theft is a big deal over there?

Mate....extremely difficult to use forged credentials in Singapore....the system is very well controlled.

The police have already been to his place and interviewed his parents. The dude has been missing since the day of the theft....most likely has gone over to Malaysia/Indonesia and onwards

When caught....the dude is looking @ anything between 5-15 yrs jail I guess .... and maybe a few strokes of canes.

Singapore indeed is very tightly controlled in terms of law/order.....crime rate is negligible. Don't know of any other place in the world which is safer than here.

When caught....the dude is looking @ anything between 5-15 yrs jail I guess .... and maybe a few strokes of canes.

Singapore indeed is very tightly controlled in terms of law/order.....crime rate is negligible. Don't know of any other place in the world which is safer than here.

I agree with you. Ony place I know where you can still feel relatively safe walking the streets alone in the middle of the night. However, yuo sure on the caning bro? I thought it was robbery, you get caned but for theft as well?

I am actually curious how he managed to move out so many watches on a public holiday without rousing anyone's curiousity. Whare are the so-called security in the mall? 300 over watches ! Did they take the boxes as well?

Security in the malls are a joke. But the whole situation will be sorted out. How the burglary was conducted and who did it.

As to whether the person is going to be caught, thats another matter all together. Security guards might have seen him carrying some big suitcases out of the shop but probably did not stop to check, him being a staff at the shop and all.

A heist like this cannot be executed as a one-man operation. He got help and I would say very good help indeed. Lets see how long before he's caught, if ever at all.

Cheers

No boxes taken.. just the authenticating papers.... this guy knew what he was doing....

This guy is gone... 'poof'.... 'insider' info suggests that the rich and powerful from the neighboring countries could be the potential buyers......

He could be assisted out of the country by ppl with diplomatic immunity at customs.....

Edited by kye_lin