When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do members reallly believe that there are Swiss ETA movements in our reps?

ajoesmith

I was just looking through the trade section and came across a member who was interested in a watch that was for sale.

The watch had an Asian ETA 2836 movement.

One member replied saying they wanted to buy it then.....

The same member replied saying 'Sorry, Im backing out as I thought it was Swiss ETA'

I was surprised as I thought most people already knew that most if not all so called Swiss ETA 2824 or Swiss ETA 2836 movements that we find in our reps today are Clone/Copy 2824/2836 movements.

Why do people even bother to pay the extra money to get the same movement as the cheaper Asian ETA version?

Are you trying to kid yourselves into thinking that it is Swiss ETA and the Chinese wont copy ETA movements and stamp them ETA? They already do it with the Asian Clone/Copy version why not pass these off as Swiss ETA? no one will be the wiser.

I actually don't think its the dealers fault either, they are just buying stock from the factory, its the factory that is telling the porky pies (lies). No dealer has the time to check all movements. Oh but some will say that 'Eurotimez' checks all his movements and they are Swiss ETA. Maybe he does check them and can guarantee that they are Swiss ETA but he is one dealer in a haystack of dealers, and ALL of them claim to sell Swiss ETA - Whats going on?

One that caught my eye recently is the new avenger Seawolf that dealers are selling. Supposedly Swiss ETA at $378 plus postage. http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=3764

I would bet a pretty penny that that watch does NOT have a Swiss ETA in it!

So why do people still continue to FUSS over Swiss ETA? If you buy a rep advertised as Swiss ETA 99% of the time your getting a CLONE/COPY ETA

Here are a few pics of the so called clone movements that I have. These ones dont have the ETA markings and as per the ETA Gen/Copy guide they are copies but well you can make your own mind up!

2836pic11.jpg

2836pic22.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

members... most of us kind people want to believe in good will relying on what their seller say (trust) and ultimately get something without ever knowing the truth... but i personally don't want to hear members on this but rather experts as The Zigmeister or someone else... i still believe when they say swiss eta it is even if this after your post seems so naive....

John

I asked that question to a dealer here is the reply:

Re: 16610 movement

Postby support on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Gentlemen:

One of values buying a Watchmaker9's timepiece is that you get a genuine Swiss ETA movement.

And, sorry guys, we just don't use China made, Japan made, whatsoever made low quality movements.

The 2678, 21 Jewels movement we are implementing in our new 08 M & Z serial Submariner lines is genuine ETA, made in Switzerland.

A lot of people think our products are expansive. Well, to those people complainting our timepieces are too expansive, some even called us scammers, all I can say is to "buy from the Chinese".

George

Watchmaker9 support team

Truth or BS?

I'll find out in March when the watch is serviced by The Zigmeister

Bill

members... most of us kind people want to believe in good will relying on what their seller say (trust) and ultimately get something without ever knowing the truth... but i personally don't want to hear members on this but rather experts as The Zigmeister or someone else... i still believe when they say swiss eta it is even if this after your post seems so naive....

John

You need to wake up and smell the coffee

By a so called swiss ETA from the 'trusted' dealers on here and other forums not BK or eurotimez and see if you get one, id be surprised if you do

Yes they believe it. They also believe a bunch of other things too. Like dealers carry stock. That the 4813 is a superior movement to the 2813. That there is QC on a dropshipped piece. That dealers have their own special factories so dealer A's stuff is 'better' than dealer B's. Thus 'their' A7750 or GMTIIc will not blow up. It goes on and on. And as I said before everyone thinks they know better so no matter how many times you tell them these things they just dismiss it. It's that whole can't make a horse drink thing.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee

By a so called swiss ETA from the 'trusted' dealers on here and other forums not BK or eurotimez and see if you get one, id be surprised if you do

You think was all the time like that...? i feel like stalone left out from the cryo prison ^_^

It wasnt always like this.

A couple of years ago swiss ETA in a rep meant Swiss ETA and at around $150, now its $350+ and its not even Swiss :(

i know thats why i said it , dont look my post count... remember the dealer terror via members ... the no soup for you slogan...

i remember telling something about MBW and suddenly all members went mad..

you can check ecplaza for rep factories ... but i think you need the dealer ...

It wasnt always like this.

A couple of years ago swiss ETA in a rep meant Swiss ETA and at around $150, now its $350+ and its not even Swiss :(

Agreed I have been researching reps since the mid 90's and that is true even paul and EL and some of the others used to sell some reps with GEN SWISS ETA

BUt even then it was sometimes hit and miss i had seen a yacht master from a friend that paul had claimed SWISS ETA and it was a octo 17 jewel Movement :)

What do you make of this? Here is the full link http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1547711

Look at this picture of a Seagull ETA CLone, Hangzhou clone and a real ETA

Please pay special attention to the auto assembly gears. Apparently there were an easy tell between Clone and real ETA, now i think not......

DSCF1011.jpg

What do you make of this? Here is the full link http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1547711

Please pay special attention to the auto assembly gears. Apparently there were an easy tell between Clone and real ETA, now i think not......

DSCF1011.jpg

Yep...

It was after reading thru the thread in this link that i realised my so-called eta2824-2 was actually a seagull! :p

WOW AJ! Thanks, Dude! You always learn something!

Hike

I believe that some watches still contain ETA movement; but unless it has a see through caseback, I'm going for the cheapest alternative every time. Back in the day I believed it, and likely most of my old watches do have ETAs, but now I wouldn't bet on it...

Thanks for the link to the watchuseek discussion on the comparison between the Seagull, Hangzhou and ETA, AJ. That was a pretty thorough disection and very informative. Picking up a Seagull or Hangzhou would be cool- those will be the new 'spares' for our watches in the future.

good luck getting a "real" ETA movement unless its from a dealer that builds custom watches like WM9 or BK or Eurotimez etc. If you buy from any of the "factory supplied" dealers then i doubt there is any ETA stock left. I also DOUBT that watch If you do actually get an ETA it will probably be a refurb or one taken out of another watch. You know when you get an ETA movement and its all rusty?? haha yep used/old/mishandled movement. I also doubt that the movement in that watch mentioned in the first post is real ETA.

I just buy Asian now... they all seem to work just fine, especially the non chronograph movements.. even the newer A7750's seem to be more reliable than before

good luck getting a "real" ETA movement unless its from a dealer that builds custom watches like WM9 or BK or Eurotimez etc. If you buy from any of the "factory supplied" dealers then i doubt there is any ETA stock left. I also DOUBT that watch If you do actually get an ETA it will probably be a refurb or one taken out of another watch. You know when you get an ETA movement and its all rusty?? haha yep used/old/mishandled movement. I also doubt that the movement in that watch mentioned in the first post is real ETA.

I just buy Asian now... they all seem to work just fine, especially the non chronograph movements.. even the newer A7750's seem to be more reliable than before

were you looking for the term