When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question for Ziggy: Reversing wheel click glue

pierre22

Hi,

I have a brand new ROO that has a loose reversing click wheel so the rotor unwind constantly and I have agree with the vendor to try to fix it before sending it back to china.

In one post The Zigmeister mention gluing the spring in place. Any suggestion for the kind of glue to use?

I guess it should be a glue that is not too strong so the spring should be removable if it fail later.

Thanks

For gluing parts and hands, The Zigmeister has generally used structural epoxy...as referenced HERE, HERE and also HERE FOR FIXING HANDS.

From another post on how permanent the epoxy is (from The Zigmeister):

"For the subdial hands, I use a minute drop of epoxy in the hand tube, and install the hands and let the glue harden. I tested and re-tested to see if it would be an issue for follow on servicing etc, and it isn't. The glue fills the 0.03mm gap and allows the hand to fit nice and snug and you can remove and re-install it no problem."

Unless you have experience in watchmaking, this is not a do-it-yourself repair.

There are two parts that have to be fixed, 1. the click spring for the reversing wheel has to be adjusted correctly into the gear, and 2. the spring, if it's loose, has to be glued into the bridge. To do this requires taking apart the movement, and if your not a watchmaker, you will never get it back together.

RG

There are two parts that have to be fixed, 1. the click spring for the reversing wheel has to be adjusted correctly into the gear, and 2. the spring, if it's loose, has to be glued into the bridge. To do this requires taking apart the movement, and if your not a watchmaker, you will never get it back together.

RG

I am aware of the difficulty and I already have removed the offending click spring and reassembled the movement without the rotor and everything is running fine.

I only needed to know a reccomended type of glue.

Thanks

Follow Toad's recommendations, I use structural epoxy.

I am totally impressed that you were able to re-assemble the autowinder bridge assembly on a 7750 and all the chrono parts that go underneath it, and have no problems and everything is working as it should. I know many watchmakers that can't assemble a 7750 due to it's complexity. That is one of the most challenging parts to put back together and not many watchmakers have success...

RG

Thanks for the comments. Coming from the master it is really appreciated. Note that I may need you if I screw up.

I didn't find it that difficult. With the proper tools and lots of patience especially to line up the oscillating pinion with the clutch lever. I have the tz course and flash assembly/disassembly presentation from ETA as a guide.

For the moment this is the deeper I am willing to go in a 7750. My goal is to eventually service all my watches myself and for this I already bought close to a 1000$ of tools. I am only missing oilers, oils and a timing machine to do a complete service. I find watch collecting a lot more fun if you can repair them yourself.

Pierre

Thanks for the comments. Coming from the master it is really appreciated. Note that I may need you if I screw up.

I didn't find it that difficult. With the proper tools and lots of patience especially to line up the oscillating pinion with the clutch lever. I have the tz course and flash assembly/disassembly presentation from ETA as a guide.

For the moment this is the deeper I am willing to go in a 7750. My goal is to eventually service all my watches myself and for this I already bought close to a 1000$ of tools. I am only missing oilers, oils and a timing machine to do a complete service. I find watch collecting a lot more fun if you can repair them yourself.

Pierre

Wow...very impressive! Everything I've read says that these are pretty complex movements to repair and service! Good luck with your course and your "in-house" repairs!

• 2 weeks later...

Pierre

Good work, Pierre. :good:

If you are disassembling movements, you must have the proper oils (& oilers), but a timing machine is definitely more of a convenience since you can time a watch quite accurately without 1.

• 4 months later...
Good work, Pierre. :good:

If you are disassembling movements, you must have the proper oils (& oilers), but a timing machine is definitely more of a convenience since you can time a watch quite accurately without 1.

Dear Freddy, please elaborate. Does one not need a vibrograph for a correct beat adjustment? How do you go about?

Dear Freddy, please elaborate. Does one not need a vibrograph for a correct beat adjustment? How do you go about?

You can do it manually...but you need to be very good, cheking the movement of the balance wheel...

On the other hand, a movement with large beat error will not start running unless you shake it....

Francisco

• 3 weeks later...

RG

Just wondering...about reversers...I have an ETA 2824-2 with a sticky reverser. I have taken the auto wind mechanism apart and cleaned it in Ronsonal 4 times, lubricated them with Novastar type B and L and it still sticks. I was just wondering what is the secret to this operation? Could it be that the wheel just needs to be replaced. The reverser that has the tiny gear on it seems fine, it is the other one that seems to stick. There may be some gunk between there that I just haven't gotten out yet.