When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

isnt this movement too recent for this vintage rlx ?

db1

i was browsing on the bay for rlx parts, and found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rolex-mens-14K...93%3A1|294%3A50

this watch looks like pre 50's.. but has the recent rlx movement (from pics)

is that right? it looks like someone took a watch case, put a rlx caliber into it with some rlx dial- and trying to sell it as non-franken ?

or maybe im wrong.. please have a look. :)

They have snap on backs and non screw down crowns. The cases are 14K gold filled, use snap-in crystals, and the movements are lower grade 1520 17 jewel 'tarrif beaters'.

(the 1530 is a chronometer grade movement with Breguet hairspring)

They were sold mostly for award watches and you see a lot of them with engraved casebacks and/or trademark logos on the dial. I used to pick them up for $300 or less but the internet ended all that.

The movements are the same as used in 17 jewel 5500 air kings and 5513 submariners. These 17 jewel movements are OK as long as the bushings are not worn out on the autowind assembly. If the bushings are worn, it is not much trouble to replace them with jewels but you will need to order replacement jewels by type, hole size, and outside diameter because they are not the same size as the jewels in regular 26 jewel models.

All you need is a jewelling tool (or a staking set with proper punches and a steady hand) to make the conversion.

Imho, I would not pay anywhere near $850 for one today because a 1500 OPD timehead (no bracelet) would be $$ better spent as they have better cases, chronometer movements, and go for about the same price as this particular $850 example.

They have snap on backs and non screw down crowns. The cases are 14K gold filled, use snap-in crystals, and the movements are lower grade 1520 17 jewel 'tarrif beaters'.

(the 1530 is a chronometer grade movement with Breguet hairspring)

They were sold mostly for award watches and you see a lot of them with engraved casebacks and/or trademark logos on the dial. I used to pick them up for $300 or less but the internet ended all that.

The movements are the same as used in 17 jewel 5500 air kings and 5513 submariners. These 17 jewel movements are OK as long as the bushings are not worn out on the autowind assembly. If the bushings are worn, it is not much trouble to replace them with jewels but you will need to order replacement jewels by type, hole size, and outside diameter because they are not the same size as the jewels in regular 26 jewel models.

All you need is a jewelling tool (or a staking set with proper punches and a steady hand) to make the conversion.

Imho, I would not pay anywhere near $850 for one today because a 1500 OPD timehead (no bracelet) would be $$ better spent as they have better cases, chronometer movements, and go for about the same price as this particular $850 example.

Good info...thanks man!

The $1400 one I saw was a 26j model, but I would agree that the 1500 Date with the 1575 movt can still be found for around $850 to $1000 and is a better deal, esp. for the movement. But if you're building a 5513, the 1520 would be ok if it's in decent shape- but that can be a big 'IF' since it's likely 30+ years old. But Rolex did keep making the 1520 up into the late 80's- like in the 5513.