When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

swapping 21j movement

docdoc

Hello,

What kind of movement can I buy to swap this asian 21j (that is not working after only 5 hours !!!).

I don't mind if it is not a swiss ETA. I just want it to work ! Any links to buy a replacement movement is warmly welcome.

The watch is a Sea Dweller 1665 from timeshop.

3194513818_dfeb606276_o.jpg

This should be of some use here, another excellent post by Francisco;

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...amp;hl=upo+lite

EDIT - if you have only just bought this watch, and it's not working get onto the dealer, they should be able to sort you ou with a new one!

I know, I wrote to him and waiting for its answer. But paying 30

It looks like this movement:

CIMG3503.jpg

which means you can use this guide:

Ajoesmith-Background.jpg

to swap in either a DG2813 (replacement low beat movement) or a DG4813 high beat movement, available from here:

...or do as b16 says and return it to the vendor. The issue is...it may take 2 months to get your watch back and $20 in shipping. A movement costs $12 to $20.

...or do as b16 says and return it to the vendor. The issue is...it may take 2 months to get your watch back and $20 in shipping. A movement costs $12 to $20.

Thank you so much Toad for all these precious infos ! I agree with your point. Better swap the movement myself

You will likely need some specialized tools (smaller GOOD screwdrivers, hand removal tool, handsetting tool [or toothpick], Rodico for cleaning, etc)...but it's a good learning exercise. Get a couple spare movements if possibly...you might screw one up. ;)

I have already all the tools needed to do that. That is why I was thinking about a swap ;)

MArk answers me and told me to send the watch back of course ! I asked him if he can just send me a movement alone and I will take care of the swap.

Hi

One of those days I must swap a DG2813 installed in a TT Noobmariner. Dont like the accuracy. But my idea is install a 2836-2 copy, I'll buy from Ajoesmith. Is the same as it's with the DG4813 ?. Does the "hands shafts" (sorry) have the same height?.

Sure I must trade the yellowish DW and, no problem with it?

I've been reading every tutorial I found but never, never moved a screw in a watch. This will be my first try. Otherwise I'll

throw it away.

Thanks for reading and help

duarte moura

My question is about swapping DG2813 for ETA copy 2836-2 NOT DG 4813 as have been discussed above and presented in a tutorial.

I have no experience at all, only reading and watching videos

I read here that the 4813 is not the same sizes than the 2813 and the stem might not fit in perfectly. Any experience with swapping an asian 21J for a 4813 ?

I never had any problems. The AJS tutorial is based on doing this exact same thing. No problems at all. Any variances that do exist work fine for the movement. You use the stem that comes with the 4813, but install the crown and shave the stem to the proper length. The hole in the case lines up properly.

My question is about swapping DG2813 for ETA copy 2836-2 NOT DG 4813 as have been discussed above and presented in a tutorial.

Do your research and you'll find it can be done but is not worthwhile. The dial feet have to be cut, and you have to use special tape to mount the dial. You'll need new hands as well, and you'll have to source a new datewheel. If you want to go 2836...start with a 2836...perhaps an Asian clone of the 2836 and swap to a real Swiss one if you want later.

Thanks Toad

Yes I remember reading what you say. Thanks very much for remembering. You are right dont pays the trouble. And as I told, on top, I've not any experience at all.

Good, as allways reading you

duarte moura

"...4813 sweeps better than the 2813 but thats about it."

I agree.

The 4813 runs at the correct speed (28800) but it still has the offset sweep second hand drive with a tension spring like the 2813 so sometimes the sweep second hand will skip. All Miyota 8215 type movements and China made Miyota clones can have this problem along with 1030, 1530, 1210 etc rolex and some earlier omega, bulova etc.

my current sub project is swapping out a 2813 for an 2836 clone in a SS sub, so far so good. I had to clip the dial feet and glue the spacer ring to the dial and swap the DW overlay to it. Just waiting on the sub ETA hands to arrive. So it can be done fairly easily , just always think a few steps ahead when executing this project.

• 2 weeks later...