When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold UN just released;

b16a2

Now it makes sense why they made the dials with the black floating indices and accidentally used them wrongly in some of the steel versions. They had them all along planning to use them in the gold watches and just made the classic factory mistake. Cool though. I actually ordered this watch (gen), got it in and sent it back. It was amazing, but I bought it sight unseen and never realized I hated the look of UN rose gold. It is really greenish and much more like kind of an ugly browish/greenish yellow gold as opposed to a pleasing rose gold. I couldn't stand the look of it with my skin tone. Worse than any yellow gold I have ever seen on me even. I do love Rolex Everrose and the Hublot rose gold and a few others, but rose gold is a funny thing and that is one of the few things I feel UN could do a much better job with. The good news is, judgeing from this one pic, I can tell that the rep rose gold plate color is better looking than the gen. LOL.

You know, I never noticed before and it is on the steel rep too, but what is with teh 200M font being obscured by the cyclops? That would drive me nuts. It looks like either the date is too high, the cyclops is too big or something else.

Of course obviously it must be that the gen is based on a 7753 and whatever UN did to modify the date (normally at 4:30) with the basic movement to put it at 6 landed it lower that whatever had to be done to the Asian 7750 with the tricompax layout and its date position.

I guess when they 1:1 positioned the dial print they didn't take that into account and then it was a chain reaction placing the cyclops in overlapped it and by the time they realized it the dials were probably already done. Funny how they nail almost everything and mess up the simplest thing. Of course the movement issue is the movement issue and we can't expect the date to be in the exact same place as the gen, but they should have at least anticipated that and adjusted the dial accordingly to make it so one wouldn't really notice it.

I really like the looks of this. It is what I have been waiting for. Problem is - I want that bracelet too. So, I guess I hvae to wait.

Does anyone know if they are producing that?

UN marine watches are all about the bracelets. They really make the watches. Just luxurious in every way. Feel like a million bucks. Hopefully if they do the bracelets they will take great care to make them perfect as if they don't feel right it will be an utter failure in this case. Rolex sports watch bracelets are kind of supposed to feel marginal, as the gens do too so one doesn't notice that as much, but here they won't get away with anything less than close to perfect...

UN10r.jpg

Yeah, no joke. I have the same blue rotor on my Dual Time Big Date. It is actually done by a sort of blasting of a stainless blue titanium based alloy onto the base metal using an ion sputtering process which makes it stick to the part. It is not too thick but not too thin either. Looks really cool in person. They have now started treating every movement part with this process in some special editions which looks really cool - especially when they now leave the balance, rotor, and screws gold and everything else is blue. Anyway, the rep rotors obviously don't use this "bluing" process as it were. They look like they are just lightly annodized (read stained...)

A good looking watch....but am staying away from this one for now. My experience with the rep gold plating has been sort of mixed. My HBB gold is fantastic......whereas some other watches look pale after some time.

I gotta find myself someplace which can do gold plating .....anyone know of such a place?

A good looking watch....but am staying away from this one for now. My experience with the rep gold plating has been sort of mixed. My HBB gold is fantastic......whereas some other watches look pale after some time.

I gotta find myself someplace which can do gold plating .....anyone know of such a place?

or gold DLC avitt?

i have always wanted a 2 tone rolex, a black gold one - never got one, looked at the gmt the sub - but this one, this one i think could fill that slot.

I'm tellin ya all i already bought more watch stands, cause the nardins are coming i can feel it - and frankly - i love it.

Life gets so tuff -- overwhelming and stressfull - the watches are my rock, i'd love to be able to simplify my life ;)

- for now, i'll simplify my collection :)

Shouldn't the rotor be blue instead of... green?

7.jpg

i have noticed that josh's photos have had some white balance problems recently - you can compare the FM cassablanca's dial colors compare to king. King's are more the color that i listed at joh's site

if you use photoshop to do an auto color you get this result

post-1267-1232253314_thumb.jpg

I'm tellin ya all i already bought more watch stands, cause the nardins are coming i can feel it - and frankly - i love it.

The Marine line alone has a good few they can do which is one of the cornerstones of the brand. I think you are right Pho, more are coming. I know the MMD is coming next and is well into the pipeline now. It will be interesting to see what dials they do...

robbie, the distortion on the 200m is just the angle

No, although I realize angles can distort that isn't what is going on here. The date window is higher on the rep and the dial fonts are not compensated. My point is at that angle you shouldn't see any distortion. No worries though. Just thought I would point it out. Don't forget, the gen is based on a 7753 which moves the date module down to 6 from 4:30 at an angle. But it is closer to the edge of the dial on that model than on the 7750. The rep is a 7750 with the date converted from 3 with no angle. It just lands higher from the edge when that module is placed than on the 7753. Nothing that can be done about it - other than to recognize it and print that font a hair higher so it can't be noticed. You can see it quite well by comparing these two images...

8.jpg

MarineDiverChrono06.jpg

Sirs...the back is terrible. Gold versions have a rotor with different shape and gold painted. The factory is using the same rotor that the steel versions have.

I am so dissapointed!!!

Francisco

Yeah, I know. I didn't mean to infer that the gold version had the blue rotor. BTW, I had that gen rose version for a day and sent it back - cause the gen rose gold is horribly ugly. Yuk. Horrible. They make it look sexy in pics, but as much as I love UN, thier rose gold is am ugly yellowish greenish color...

I just wanted to point out how the rotors are blued for those who have or are getting the steel version to let you know why the rep can't get the color right...

Yeah, I know. I didn't mean to infer that the gold version had the blue rotor. BTW, I had that gen rose version for a day and sent it back - cause the gen rose gold is horribly ugly. Yuk. Horrible. They make it look sexy in pics, but as much as I love UN, thier rose gold is am ugly yellowish greenish color...

I just wanted to point out how the rotors are blued for those who have or are getting the steel version to let you know why the rep can't get the color right...

this is supposed to be YG right not RG?

and seriously guys - who gives a crap about what it says - only my skin on my wrist will see it. I think this is a freaking awesome watch, and comparing this watch to other "gen" brands - its hard to say its not worth 3 or 400

one thing with those crappy old rolexes - but, i'm tellin ya, these pieces look like a million bucks. I dare you to find me any watch close for 400 in gen world.

Not including chinese tourbillons :)

Personally I'm always amazed at how much time is spent on the factories on bezels and hands and then they put no effort at all into the rotors or the clasps.

Look at the Porsche Flat six rep rotor, it's not perfect but very nice indeed. It shows how nice a rep can be.

I know, nobody looks at the back, But I do - and I would like some effort to be made there as well.

I can't see where it would be so hard to silicone cast a correct rotor in steel and plate it - no harder than repping a good bezel.