When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newb question from an old member

gioarmani

Deep Sea water-proof test? Specifically the V3--not the other releases.

Maybe the board's search is failing in the results it gives, but has anyone actually pressure tested this watch (i.e. with a proper Bergeon or other true equipment--not simply dunking it in water).

I'm curious to see the results on the weak-spots; not just the dual piece case-back or the HEV, but the domed crystal and its gasket, as well.

Thanks.

I can't answer your questions but I will say that 2 piece case back is very interesting. The titanium piece is the piece that is waterproofed with the main case, not the normal SS screw in part. It appears that part creates the inward (or downward) pressure on the seal, which is between the titanium piece and the case. It would seem that as the outside pressure increases, the pressure against the seal would also increase.

I hope that makes some sense.

I can't answer your questions but I will say that 2 piece case back is very interesting. The titanium piece is the piece that is waterproofed with the main case, not the normal SS screw in part. It appears that part creates the inward (or downward) pressure on the seal, which is between the titanium piece and the case. It would seem that as the outside pressure increases, the pressure against the seal would also increase.

I hope that makes some sense.

I figured as much, but wanted to see if someone actually ran the numbers before I buy one.

I know these are only reps, but I've always had mine tested to at least 6-10 ATMs, as I dive in mine like it's going out of style.

I'll tell you what.. i have a DSSD v3... and i hate it.. i really do.. i tried to love it and i cant. lack of AR and the greyish looking ceramic insert.. i cant do it.. so..

Im going to fill up my bathtub with water and throw it in there for a couple hours... lets see if it leaks.

No water proofing has been done to the watch and i have not greased any of the seals.. lets see what happens. If it survives this them its good enough for swimming, sea-dooing, boating etc etc. No this is not a well laid out, structured test to be used as a guidline for waterproofing.

I'll take some pics.. hang on. This could be good. lol

UPDATE

Camera is now laying upside down in the bathtub, under water with the tripod still attached.

:shock:

Whoops

lol

Sorry i guess no pictures today.. but theres good news.. the Deepsea appears to be ok so far.. I'll pull it out in an hour and put it over some slight heat and see if the crystal foggs up as it dries..

Score so far

Deepsea 1 - Camera 0

Thats pretty much what i did.. on my hands and knees gasping as the camera fell into the water!!

:blink:

Thats ok its pretty funny. I had to laugh too :D

Anyways.. the DSSD is still alive and ticking.. no moisture no signs of fogging.

BUT the camera didnt do so well.. shes soaked inside and out

Oh well i needed a new camera anyways

Final Score - swimming test

DSSD 1 - Camera 0

dizz

Thats pretty much what i did.. on my hands and knees gasping as the camera fell into the water!!

:blink:

Thats ok its pretty funny. I had to laugh too :D

Anyways.. the DSSD is still alive and ticking.. no moisture no signs of fogging.

BUT the camera didnt do so well.. shes soaked inside and out

Oh well i needed a new camera anyways

Final Score - swimming test

DSSD 1 - Camera 0

dizz

Dizzy, can you tell me what camera it is so I know not to buy that one to take in the pool? !! :D

BTW - hope it was insured !! :huh:

seriously - I wouldn't bin it. Google some decent camera websites, but usually they are salvagable. I'm a keen landscape photographer and cameras getting rained on/dropped in rivers etc is fairly common. Set it on a folded towel on top of a radiator with all battery covers/doors etc open and leave it for a long time - like a few weeks. You might be lucky. Nothing to lose.

And of course claim the insurance money too - get a new camera and have a beater for taking to the beach etc. Worth a try - you never know!

ive got the camera in pieces drying it out.. we'll see what happens in a few days

I can see my Deepsea over in the corner and its snickering and laughing at the camera for dying such and easy death :)

ive got the camera in pieces drying it out.. we'll see what happens in a few days

I can see my Deepsea over in the corner and its snickering and laughing at the camera for dying such and easy death :)

Out of curiosity, is the bracelet lug size 20mm or 22mm?

I just spewed coffee all over my monitor...too funny.

I thought you were so brave sacrificing your DeepSea to the cause, but your camera too!

Yeah, the DSD is having the last laugh, isn't it?