When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 1570 mvt and dial by DW

Jimster

David is offering the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...:B:FSEL:HK:1123

I don't have a 1570 movement handy to compare the photo but would be very interested in a close review. Also, take a look at the datewheel font thickness.

The man is a master at 1:1 production.

Jim

Interresting

093e_12.JPG

256609_1.jpg

Dont know nothing about rolex movements, i do see less holes holes on the top plate next to the datewheel on DW's

0ed3_12.JPG

256615_4.jpg

Also note DW's has bold engraving.

I don't recall who showed the pic of a 3135 movement, but the engraving was the big tell on it also- the Swiss and 3135 were much bolder than on the gen movement.

On this one, DW is referring to it as vintage. The dial doesn't look bad either IMO. With an NDTrading case at around $1200, you'd almost be there. This is about what we spend on similar frankens.

It would be interesting to know what DW's cost is on these!

I would not be suprised if its a rep, however the bold engraving issue was never really cleared IMO.

I wonder too what these should fetch. I remember DW charged me 25 usd for the MM couple of yours back... which is leaps behind of this 1570 in terms of quality and finish. I reckon this doesn't come cheap.

It was EPZ- elprimerozen- that showed the destroyed 3135 as I recall. Wasn't it destroyed by Rolex after someone brought it in for service?

Developing a 1570 copy would be where the expense is. After that, the cost would come way down- kinda like Hangzhou and Seagull and their eta copies. And with any copy, the big question is the compatibility of gen or aftermarket parts

I think possible this movement could not be real...

The reason I say this is...I have a very good friend

whom use to buy and sell Rolex's on Ebay.

He know Rolex watches as well as our best members here...

He purchased a Rolex watch,, He looked at the movement

and in his eyes was 100% Gen.

He sold the watch and the new buyer took the watch to a

Rolex Dealer, and found out the watch movement was

a fake... B)

I have been told these movements are being manufactured

in Russia..

After that, he stopped selling Rolex and now Trade PP"s...

MM

I just took a look at one other 1570 I've got with a loop and it's clear to me -- Davids movement is a copy. Everything is very machined on the gens. The stampings on Davids are too rough.

So, if a "Gen" ETA is +$100 which is cloned what is the market for a cloned 1570 or 3135. The real question on the 3135??

Is it adjusted to 5 positions on the clone??

Jim

I believe it is real. I believe the engravings are re-painted after a service so they appear brighter than an aged movement. Usually when they are put in the ultrasonic cleaner, the paint comes off. My watchmaker repaints the bridge for every service I have done on my gens. He also refinishes my daytona bezel the same way, but with a different color paint.

If they come out with a clone, odds are we will never know the difference. I believe that many movements are being put together from parts, but I don't think there is an entire clone movement on the market yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ROLEX-1570-MOV...1QQcmdZViewItem

c1570a.jpg

The gold lettering you see in the movement is not painted. Rather, I believe Rolex plates the bridges with rhodium & then engraves through the skin plating, which produces a fairly stable lettering that does not generally fade/degrade like paint. I always run all the parts through the ultrasonic during servicing, which removes paint, and, as you can see, the gold colored lettering on the auto-wind module bridge is still quite pristine due to the coloring being essentially layered within the metal.

[

The gold lettering you see in the movement is not painted. Rather, I believe Rolex plates the bridges with rhodium & then engraves through the skin plating, which produces a fairly stable lettering that does not generally fade/degrade like paint. I always run all the parts through the ultrasonic during servicing, which removes paint, and, as you can see, the gold colored lettering on the auto-wind module bridge is still quite pristine due to the coloring being essentially layered within the metal.

Well, this is very interesting indeed after looking at your pics. This looks exactly like the DW one.

Can you comment on the bold font on some movements and lack of on others?

And also the change in the amount of holes on between the movements?

Thanks for the pics freddy.

Edited by CharlieUK

Not knowing much about this movement, I vote for real...Simply based on the fact that it's not DW's MO to misrepresent something on eBay this way. (That being said, it is a little shady that he does not explicitly state that the dial is refinished.)

Can you comment on the bold font on some movements and lack of on others?

And also the change in the amount of holes on between the movements?

Without seeing good, clear macros of the datewheels in question, I can only guess. But the boldness of fonts on vintage Rolex datewheels tend to vary based on age & the source of the part. Earlier datewheels tend to have fonts with heavier gauge (bolder) strokes. Also, gen datewheels fitted during later servicings, being relatively more modern, tend to have lighter gauge strokes as well.

I do not know what you mean by 'change in the amount of holes on between the movements'? Both pillar's look the same to me, but, like most things that are manufactured over time, small differences can occur.

Not knowing much about this movement, I vote for real...Simply based on the fact that it's not DW's MO to misrepresent something on eBay this way. (That being said, it is a little shady that he does not explicitly state that the dial is refinished.)

Ditto.