When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Controlling your addiction

oirish

I just cant fathom it. I can feel this rep thing starting to get out of control.

Ive just ordered my first; a breitling chrono evo and im sooo anxious to get me mits on it. While I'm waiting I want to order 2 more I have my eye on. And then theres the recommended reps with rave reviews.

I get no work done. Im browsing all the time, looking over my shoulder expecting my boss to be standing behind me glaring. With any luck he would get hooked too... we'd share a common interest, I'd get a raise, then a promotion, take over the company, go global, then lose it all as the economy plummets.

Aaaahhhhhhh!

I just cant fathom it. I can feel this rep thing starting to get out of control.

Ive just ordered my first; a breitling chrono evo and im sooo anxious to get me mits on it. While I'm waiting I want to order 2 more I have my eye on. And then theres the recommended reps with rave reviews.

I get no work done. Im browsing all the time, looking over my shoulder expecting my boss to be standing behind me glaring. With any luck he would get hooked too... we'd share a common interest, I'd get a raise, then a promotion, take over the company, go global, then lose it all as the economy plummets.

Aaaahhhhhhh!

It is what happens when you first tread the path of reps in our great community - at first you are like a child in a candy store - big eyes and lots of candy.

Time passes and after a while of wearing your purchases as dailys you then beging to look at specific brands and really homing it on what it is you actually like, it's at that point all your investigations really start and you begin to really understand what candy is on the shelf.

When you finally add it all up after a few years you realise that actually what you have spent could have bought a Gen or two lol - but buying the candy, modifying the candy and being part of a great community here does actually make you feel part of something special ( check out Lani's Gen rolex purchase post to see what I mean )

More important than anything is the knowledge on these boards is immense, I hate to say it but must - use the search function here and you will gain more knowledge on your chosen subject quicker than a 5 legged Cheetah.

oh and tip : Make your wife feel good, get a nice rep for her as well if not the reduction in the bank balance she will soon suspect.

Enjoi

Peace.

:)

Edited by billywhiz

For many collectors, the hunt is as important as the catch. Ask yourself what you are looking for. Is it to own as many reps as possible before you exhaust your enthusiasm or bank account? Is it a collection based on variety? Or perhaps its based on a particular brand, style, or even model?

There's no need to rush. If you are long-term collector, your great collection will come together in time.

In hindsight, how many collectors bought too many watches too quickly, then decided that they didn't really meet their tastes or expectations? I've generally found that each purchase helps inform, or fine tune if you will, the next purchase in some way that I hadn't anticipated before I received the last watch.

Also, notice how many of yesterday's "must have" models eventually flood the resale boards. I've been tempted by hot new releases just like everyone else here, but I really try to resist that temptation by asking myself, "If there were no RWG buzz regarding this rep, how would I feel about it on its own merits?"

My own philosophy is that I like having a variety of watches to wear. If I don't wear a watch, I have to think long and hard whether it's something I want to keep.... or resell to free up room for something that will see more wrist time.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

For me, it all came down to figuring out which gen I'd like to buy out of all the reps I own. I finally settled on something most people on here probably wouldn't consider, a quartz SMP. But I never bought it because of financial issues I had last year (well I still have plenty of money and can afford it, but my rep with ETA movement inside which of course is the automatic version does me fine still). So I haven't bought a watch in over a year and I think I may buy a rolex datejust some time in the future depending on how much money I have. They discontinued the omega I was thinking about buying.

Also I came on these forums today checking to see if there are any new super reps out. It looks like there haven't been any in 2 or so years, but I'm not sure. Things don't look the same on these forums as they did back then, maybe the economy is to blame? I'm sure you can still buy plenty of $25 rolex reps which are the same as always but after finding ETA models and "super reps", it is very difficult to justify purchase of a low end rep any more.

I still have a brand new in cellophane 42.5mm omega planet ocean of the last generation of that super rep (ok I know people will point out that only the 45mm is a super rep but you guys know what I'm talking about, I just forgot which generation the watch I have is..maybe 4th generation). That was so difficult to source that I have never worn it.

hahhhh :D I can relate 100% to your experiences. Both at work and at home!!!!!!

I've surfed the 3 boards all day in between my work duties. Luckily my monitor is facing the door, so I can Alt+Tab to a work page when some one comes into my office. I've secretly gone to the computer at home to surf the dealer and forum pages. I have 3 reps at home and my wife outed me on my first rep, but hasn't called me out yet. She doesn't know of the other 2 watches. She still thinks it's a gen, so I'm "called in". But that in itself has its drawbacks, since now she is eyeing a $800 laptop now that she thinks I can afford a Rollie. (I'm pretty sure she suspects it's a rep, as I would never spend $5K on a watch). She's just testing me......

I'm eyeing 7 more watches, but I've been told by other forumites to slow down.

Edited by If you see Kay

I have owned a lot of reps and have come to know what I really appreciate in a watch. I now have a new addiction... Gens!!! God help me :shock:

wait a minute, i think u should get proffessional help for that :g:

im new here too, and this is taking way too much outta my time, but its worth it, and i love it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

still havent bought any reps yet, i have narrowed down 3 options, but im still waiting to gain more experience

happy hunting for everyone!

It took me a few weeks before I made my first purchase. My first purchase was with silix and I got a day-date, an airking and a james bond SMP. Those were good buys and I could've just stopped there. After I accumilated 20 watches, I sold half of them and I guess I bought one or two more and then stopped. It is easy to get used to buying one watch per month but after you stop buying, you get used to not buying any more :)

hahhhh :D I can relate 100% to your experiences. Both at work and at home!!!!!!

I've surfed the 3 boards all day in between my work duties. Luckily my monitor is facing the door, so I can Alt+Tab to a work page when some one comes into my office. I've secretly gone to the computer at home to surf the dealer and forum pages. I have 3 reps at home and my wife outed me on my first rep, but hasn't called me out yet. She doesn't know of the other 2 watches. She still thinks it's a gen, so I'm "called in". But that in itself has its drawbacks, since now she is eyeing a $800 laptop now that she thinks I can afford a Rollie. (I'm pretty sure she suspects it's a rep, as I would never spend $5K on a watch). She's just testing me......

I'm eyeing 7 more watches, but I've been told by other forumites to slow down.

hahaha..I know how you feel mate. For 1st couple months, my gf kept asking me how come I started having so many watches. I just told her some are reps and some are gens and just a hobby that I enjoy just like how she's surfing for shoes or clothes. :D . I do surf the forum at work too and luckily my cube is in the last corner so I know when someone is coming.

It took me a few weeks before I made my first purchase. My first purchase was with silix and I got a day-date, an airking and a james bond SMP. Those were good buys and I could've just stopped there. After I accumilated 20 watches, I sold half of them and I guess I bought one or two more and then stopped. It is easy to get used to buying one watch per month but after you stop buying, you get used to not buying any more :)

That's what they all say!

You haven't beaten your thrust for it and you too are a replicahollick! Don't be ashamed we are here to help you from slipping back down that rocky road.

Only kidding of course.

That's what they all say!

You haven't beaten your thrust for it and you too are a replicahollick! Don't be ashamed we are here to help you from slipping back down that rocky road.

Only kidding of course.

I've beaten it. The problem that I had was at last I was looking for the best quality replicas, the ones that look nearly identical to the real thing. The next problem became that the prices went up from there. They are still out there and I have received emails from dealers about them, but I have replied and said that the watches are too overpriced. Some go clear up to $500 from $200. I've never spent over $225 for one replica watch and even $225 is a lot of money for something that isn't real when you can buy a perfectly fine automatic genuine seiko on ebay for about $100 which is what I did before I got into this.

I somehow have my doubts that it costs very much money to build that "super rep". If you're paying $500 for a watch made in shenzhen, how much are the workers being paid. I'm guessing that the guy that designed the rep might be getting a bit of money out of it, but who knows. Seems like the people who run the shops are the top dogs there. I really can't understand paying that kind of money for a replica. :)

I, like most, had the same issue one year ago. :o I still have a huge wish list which I add to almost monthly.

One thing that will calm your watch craze :bounce: will be your first QC or movement issue. :angry: Man.... it really tugs on my balls when these things happen!

But these issues are still very prevalent in our hobby so happy shopping. :good:

I've beaten it. The problem that I had was at last I was looking for the best quality replicas, the ones that look nearly identical to the real thing. The next problem became that the prices went up from there. They are still out there and I have received emails from dealers about them, but I have replied and said that the watches are too overpriced. Some go clear up to $500 from $200. I've never spent over $225 for one replica watch and even $225 is a lot of money for something that isn't real when you can buy a perfectly fine automatic genuine seiko on ebay for about $100 which is what I did before I got into this.

I somehow have my doubts that it costs very much money to build that "super rep". If you're paying $500 for a watch made in shenzhen, how much are the workers being paid. I'm guessing that the guy that designed the rep might be getting a bit of money out of it, but who knows. Seems like the people who run the shops are the top dogs there. I really can't understand paying that kind of money for a replica. :)

I have to say on the face of it I quite agree, I've bought many a Seiko and they are generally great watches, beyond those I do have a few Gen. and more Reps but I suppose my problem is other than the older model watches which hold their value better, I do like some of the new designs which have been coming out, and of course get bored easily so instead of buying a new watch and loosing a 1000+ the second I've purchased why not fill my thirst with a fraction of the loss, it will only last the same amount of time as my enjoyment.

I completely agree, it's only been 2 months here and I've already bought 2 watches. IMO, the best thing to do is set a monthly budget and stick to it. It's like any purchase; limits have to be set prior to making the plunge...we have to live within our means. It's easier said than done of course!

It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun...but the minute I start looking at selling body parts or fluids, I'll need to seek help :D

Cheers!

Well I'm not tired of either my SMP or PO. What keeps me from buying a gen omega automatic is that although the coaxial movement is supposedly technologically superior to the movement that is in a Rolex, it does not appear to live as long. But I am basing my opinion on one person's watch. A guy at work has an aqua terra which lasted about 3 years before it stopped and he's waiting to go back to hong kong to service it (why that'd be, beats me..I'm sure shreive could service it and there's not only them around here we also have turbillion I know I must've misspelled both their names) People in my office with genuine rolexes have never serviced them and they are over 10 years old (which I think is absurd, if I owned a rolex it would go back in the shop every 3 years to get serviced). These guys are cheap but it looks like Rolex is better. So I just stick with the replicas, they seem to be as good of quality to me although there are differences such as how far under water they could go and minor cosmetic differences.

I think that if I did buy that quartz version of the SMP I'd be happy with it still to this day. But it is kind of hard to justify paying $3k for a quartz watch.

This hobby is fun until you start buying things and getting the wrong items shipped to you constantly. At least it isn't as big of a hassle as other things in life are. I didn't really mind that aspect of it way too much, most dealers are pretty easy to exchange with.

The most fun parts of it for me were: my first order and obtaining the 42.5mm PO with orange bezel. Everything else was kind of a time waster (such as trying to get that "perfect" 16613, I went through about 4 or 5 of those I resold before I ended up with the cleanest version, and later thinking about it figuring out that the "best" 16613 has its deal of flaws as well. at a time, it was said that my 16613 matched the MBW version).

Well speaking of the PO, I do have a third one which is like a 2nd generation. It has an incorrect bezel, he valve is in the wrong position, no AR as far as I can remember, the crystal looks domed almost magnifying the entire face of the watch, and there barely is any rehaut at all. With all of its flaws, it is a very beautiful watch anyway and whenever I wear it I get a lot of compliments.

Shouldn't this forum change to RWA -Replica Watch Anonymous?

It's not an addiction it's an illness!

My name is Nicco and I'm a Replicahollick.

As I sped down the dark rural road, I thought finally, no prying eyes. I can now now look at and read about all the reps I want without being bothered. That is how I roll. I tend to isolate when I have seen too many reps. Then there was the blue lights in the rearview. I slam the laptop shut and slowly pull over to the sholder. The officer comes up to the driver side window and asks for lisence and registration and states, thought I saw the glow of a personal pc coming from inside your car, mind opening up the laptop sir. As I did, he saw the Noobie rep enlargement photo and barked, just as I thought, driving under the influence of reps. Sir, I will need you to get out of the vehicle and blow into this repilizer for me. Well from there you can guess. That was my first DUIR but not my last. Thanks for sharing & Keep coming back.